3rd Centurion to buy...

Thread in 'Centurion' started by Flokoloko, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Flokoloko

Flokoloko Advanced Member

Hello!

At the moment i own a Centurion Yen-Lo-Wang and a A(C) (Bought during Black Friday Sale for good price and good MC rates). But i can`t decide, which Cent i should buy next. Up to now, i was aiming for the 9D, but I`m not shure if it is worth the high price.

Actually i prefer the Yen-Lo-Wang (AC20, 2xMed Laser, Std 250), the AC20 is just more fun to me than the srm striker.

Which one should i choose, the AL or D?

2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

AL is completely different. It's mostly energy based, so it runs hot. The D would play most like the YLW, as you can do a XL engine and a LBX10 with MPL.

3. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

The answer should really depend on your play-style or weapon-preferences. So basically, do you prefer Energy weapons, or Ballistic ones?

If you prefer Energy, then the AL will be your preferred variant, as it is very Energy based, with absolutely NO Ballistic weapons at all.
    However, if you like Ballistics (and you said you did like the Yen-Lo's AC20) then the D is the better choice, as it can carry Ballistics (can even load 2 of them if you want to).

Also, what needs to be said about these two Variants: the AL has a max-engine cap of 275, whereas the D's engine cap cuts off at 360(!). This means you can do some crazy, fun, fast builds on the D variant; whereas the AL will only ever go 98 kph maximum.

So yeah, like Vergere, I would personally recommend you to try out the D variant of the Centurion. It can do some great builds, with a decent amount of variety, especially with the flexible engine-size. I would actually recommend this build to try out, as it's a great all-round brawler, especially with the quirks.

4. Flokoloko

Thanks a lot, this really helps me with my decission!

Up to now, i only have STD engines for my Centurions, but the D is going to get a good XL one. Is it better to buy the XL Engine direct or should i find another mech with the engine i want? I think a mech with built in XL which i switch between the mechs is cheaper, or?

5. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

You could I either wait for another hero / champion sale if you're willing to spent real money on additional mechs or hope PGI will do another faction sale where mechs typical for an IS faction go on a 35-50% sale (both MC and CB). It's been a while since the last faction sale, though.

I won't recomment buying Champion Mechs but on a sale and only if they got a nice engine and good value. Getting a hero and grinding the CBills needed would be my preferred way.

There are some nice hero mechs coming with XL engines of various size, e.g. Ilya Muromets or Firebrand (both XL280), but your YLW should already be perfectly fine for CBill grinding. Therefore it might be better to get the Cent AL instead of the D, as you'd probably won't keep all three of them and the A(C) gives a (very) small GXP bonus when played.

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Hey! Don't forget the -AH, this thing is a blast!
    Especially if you enjoy the AC/20.
    (thought I realise it might not be available to purchase in cbill till January)

Anyway, you can't go wrong, all Centurions are good. You might even want to buy a 4th soon.

If you don't have any laser boat in your mech bay, I'd go for the -AL, in order to make it more diverse.
    But actually the -D also provide a different gameplay (and the XL300 is definitely not wasted money, this is probably the most versatile engine in the game and will probably need one sooner or later).

7. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

I vote for the D, because you get the best XL engine in the game :)

Plus I've seen @epikt's video playing it and it looked very fun.

8. Flokoloko

Ok ok ok, i`ve got it. I`m gonna buy the D first and then grind CBills for the AL as fast as i can^^

At the moment i`m regretting my first buy, a cataphract, because it was a huge waste of CB (Too slow, got bored of the playstile very soon). With the CBills spent on the mech and the loadout, i could have afforded the D and a good loadout for my other Cents.

9. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

The Lessons we learn . . . from experience, and the failures we make. ;)

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast