3V?

Thread in 'Locust' started by SirBurntChicken, Apr 23, 2015.

1. SirBurntChicken

SirBurntChicken Well-Known Member

Anyone bother to play the 3V? This is just out of curiosity since I love Locusts. The armor and structure look nice, a little better than a Commando actually, but this hardpoints are crap. Still, it might be a fun build with that +50% range. I say fun in that it's fun to shoot people with a single lpl from 600m away or a ll at 700m, but not very effective. Also, that long range doesn't come close to making up for its terrible dps.

It's a curiosity like a lion with two heads. Interesting, or sad, to look at, but it's not going to live long.

2. psychosmurf96

psychosmurf96 Active Member

I saw on Sean Lang's stream someone running it with 2 MPl and doing work

3. Stooge 3

Stooge 3 Junior Member

I dunno, being a locust fanatic myself I was curious and slightly disappointed at first when I saw the hardpoints. Now that I look at it a second time it looks like they wanted to create the "tank" of the locusts. Everything gets armor or structure bonuses in the quirks. I'm excited to at least try a 2x MG, 2x MPL loud out. It reminds me of the 1M, kinda on the fence with the hard points, not heavily stacked enough either way to really make it viable.

4. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

I didn't buy the LCT-3V, but at $2 it is basically the same price as buying a Mechbay with MC if you purchased the $99 package, so you basically get a free mech, or compared to lower MC packs it's a discounted Mechbay + Cbills for selling the chassis.

As for the Loadouts, 2x MPL looks pretty good. As I mentioned in another thread, 1x ERLLas is also very promising since that 50% Range Quirk makes it one of the best high-speed extreme-range snipers in the game. Above 1012.5m, the only 2x ERLLas build that will do more damage is the RVN-2X which nobody seems to run.

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I don't like the MGs on the Locust. It forces you to keep visual on target, meaning they can see you too and shoot at you, it's pretty much the opposite of what the locust does the best: strike and disappear.
    Not to mention only 2 MGs are basically useless anyway.
    So with only 2 energy hardpoints, that's a big "NO" for me.

seraphim-raphael likes this.
  6. seraphim-raphael

seraphim-raphael Junior Member

sign! I don´t like MGs in a Locust, too. I don´t use them in the PB either. You have to kite your enemey for minimal damage and your movement gets pedictable. not good in a 20t mech. The armor/structure-quirks are interesting. But thats it.
    I don´t understand why PGI released another Locust-Chassis. LCT-1E is best with energy, 1V for Sniper and PB has ECM. We don´t need another useless Locust :(

7. SirBurntChicken

I'm sure it has something to do with their business model, which is probably release mechs/make money without much thought going into making them useful and interesting. It's a quantity over quality strategy with obvious results. As the quantity increases the ability to make each mech unique and useful decreases and so do players interest in buying them. Quirks were probably added to increase the pool of opitions as much as to to bring IS mechs up in comparison to Clan mechs. Think about it. Before quirks there wasn't much difference between the Locust 3M and 1E. They make money selling MC which are used to buy mechs or premium time which gives more cbills which are used to buy mechs.

The problem seems to be they aren't very good at making each mech useful and interesting. I'd tie that partly back to the huge quantity of mechs and that they don't care too much as long as they're making money. What they don't realize is useful and interesting mechs sell and if they put more work into making each mech useful and interesting they would sell more.

Honestly, that's how I think we ended up with the 3V that looks about as interesting and useful as the aweful 1M.

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Well, there's a reason why everyone forgot the Locust-1M ever existed in the first place.

I don't understand why they release so many Locusts. It's niche mech, yet there are SEVEN variants! Of course only few are really interesting in my opinion (-1E obviously, plus -3M and PB).

9. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Just one thing, you get over 100m range with ERLL even without mods... so I guess it can be used as a sniper or sorts.

10. SirBurntChicken

The 1M is the only Locust I refuse to play! The 1E is fun and can be brutal. The 3M can also be somewhat brutal. The PB is nice because of ECM. The 1V and 3S can be useful under the right circumstances. But the 1M is simply horrible. I've never had a good match in it that I remember and I'm decent with Locusts in the solo queue.

I think the problem comes down to I can boat a decent amount of lasers in the 1E, 3M, and PB or SRM's in the 3S, but I can't boat anything on the 1M and this new Locust will be the same. Yes, I suppose I could put on a single LL, ERLL, or LPL, but the 1V does it better with the ERLL.

11. enileph

enileph Star Lord

1V = 50% cool down + -50% duration
    3v= 50% range + -10% duration

1V does have better dps when it comes to ERLL, but not if you use LPL or LL, which halfs the bonuses at 25%.

That said. The over 1000m+ range is scary with 3V + ERLL, but LPL seem to benefit better with this bonus.

2x MPL would work too but haven't tried it yet.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  12. SirBurntChicken

The 1V gets a range boost too, 15% I think though I can't remember offhand. That puts full damage out to 775m or so. It isn't 1000m, but the dps is higher. And the problem is there are a lot of maps and situations where you won't be able to use that range advantage. That means just what you said, LL and LPL work better. If I ever buy the 3V I particularly like the idea of putting a LPL on it. Also, I might put on a 180std, two ml's, and two machine guns. It'd be fun for the lulz!

I will say this, the 3V isn't stuck with using a single weapon like the 1V.

enileph likes this.
  13. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Or MPL, like this?

14. SirBurntChicken

That's the obvious build and gives the highest dps. 4 dps (mpl's) at 350 max effective range is alright and the armor will really help with survival...

I'll probably buy it, when it comes out for cbills, but I'm not expecting much.

On a side note, I've found srm's and mg's and spl's all work well together. You use them all at about the same range so you know what your engagement range is with all your weapons and can fire them all at once. With a mech like the 3V those two mg's are going to be useless for a good part of the match.

15. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

Not enough alpha or max DPS on the 3V or 1V for my taste. When you give your location away in a light, you start a timer on how long till someone comes to brush you off. Especially if you don't have ECM. These mechs just don't do enough work quickly enough.

epikt likes this.
  16. SirBurntChicken

Sadly, it's true. Best I ever had with the 1V was 609, but that was on alpine. Most matches I felt I did good on I look at the score after and see I only did in the 300's. The problem as I see it is not survival, if you're a competent light pilot, but concentrating damage to kill mechs. With quirks the 1V's ERLL has around the same dps as an AC20, but all of an AC20's damage is going to be in the same area, is going to do 20 damage instantly, and you can target critical areas. The ERLL's damage is far more likely to be spread especially shooting from long range at targets of opportunity.

17. renzor51

renzor51 Advanced Member

I know it's an old post, but just wanted to point out that the Pirate's Bane can do the same 2MPL 2MG thing with ECM and (probably) Stealth.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast