Advice Needed for campaign

Thread in 'BattleTech (2018)' started by skribs, May 10, 2018.

1. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Apparently I suck at this game. In my first attempt at the campaign, I noticed a couple of things. On one hand, I tended to have 1-2 injured pilots after every mission, and I tended to have a Mech or two always needing major repairs and replacement components. After watching some of Molten Metal playing on Youtube, and reading Shock's story here, I've quickly realized this is not normal for the game, especially in the early stages.

So I've come to ask for advice.

Lots of advice.

Lots and lots of advice.

Here are my primary questions:

1. How does morale work? Is it reset every round, or what's the deal? I've not really played with either of the morale abilities much because I'm not sure how often I can use them. I've also not done much outside of the Precision Strike, because I'm not sure exactly how they work.
    2. I'm probably using bad tactics. Typically I will roam until I find an enemy on sensors, and then scheme my plan around them. I rarely, if ever, have cover to use against them, and I'm not really sure how to survive other than to burst down the most dangerous Mechs first.
    3. I don't get new Mechs very often. I attribute part of this to my economy. I seem to spend the game chasing C-bills, which means I can never scavenge or go for reputation. I also don't get much chance to shop. I assume that surviving may help, but how do I pick which missions to do, and which missions to go salvage, C-Bills, or reputation?
    4. What skills go best with which roles? How do I remember which pilots are which?
    5. Is there any benefit to standing still (other than Bulwark)?
    I have many more questions, but these will go a long way to helping me get started, if you can help. Thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

1. You start with morale points equal to your base morale. As you increase morale outside combat, you start with more inside. Using Precision shot or Vigilance costs morale. I think the only way morale goes up is when you get a kill. Vigilance is a good ability to use if you've been taking too much damage because it's basically Bulwark but you can move.
    2. Early on, you have to focus fire and stay mobile. The only cover you're going to find is forest. It's 25% damage reduction, which is better than nothing. I shoot for low armor mechs first to reduce enemy numbers. Early on, vehicles can be just as dangerous as mechs and are much easier to kill. Shoot them first.
    3. In the early game, you're going to be low on cbills. The key is to mitigate damage on your mechs so you can reduce downtime. If a mech is showing structure, pull it back. Let someone else take some damage. Story missions give a lot of money, use them to keep the cbills flowing and prioritize salvage in other contracts. I never went for reputation. Don't be afraid to withdraw if you're going to take so much damage you lose money on a contract. You're a mercenary, not a charity worker.
    4. I've used all of the skills at some point. Bulwark is better for long range mechs, who don't have to move as much. Brawlers need to stay mobile so it doesn't offer them as much. I like Sensor Lock on mechs that don't engage right away so I'm not giving up attacks to use it.
    5. No, if you don't have Bulwark, standing still is probably bad. If you move, you at least build up a little bit of evasion.

3. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

By "cover" I mean things to hide behind for LOS, like terrain and walls.

4. Shock

Gotcha. Some maps have more places to hide than others. But since the game is turn based, you mostly can't break LOS and still fire anyway. The trick is putting mechs in position where some are a more likely targets than others.

Have you customized your mechs at all? Do you have trouble with a specific mech getting beat up or is it across the board?

5. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I've customized them all, but I'm finding it's a LOT different than Mechwarrior in terms of what works.

My LRM mechs tend to survive pretty well. Fire support does okay. Everything else goes squish.

6. Shock

I use Vigilance a lot of keep my front line mechs alive. They're going to get focused because your fire support and LRM mechs are going to be farther away and possibly out of sight of the enemy. Don't let your mechs get too far ahead of their support. And make sure the front-liners have plenty of armor.

Gun Tuv and skribs like this.
  7. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv Well-Known Member

When I load a map first thing i do is find where the corner is behind me and carefully plan which edge to slide up. Do not wander towards the marker down the convenient road. You want to focus your enemies down 1 by 1 safe in the knowledge that you cannot be flanked so this means planning how you intend to explore a map for a few minutes before you begin moving.

Skills. I'm basically using 3x bulwark/gunnery characters and 1x ace pilot/sensor lock guy. Bounce the sensor lock guy around either being a scout or a skirmisher as you need. I then have my biggest mech as a brawler (with maybe a bit of poke) and the remaining two mechs as lurmers with ranged support weapons (for example an Atlas with 2xlrm20s, a ppc and an AC5).

Use of morale skills is key to victory. Use Vigilance if you need to push the speartip up or or drop it back and use Precision Shot to make sure you take out a damaged part. Basically I use Precision Shot to remove legs, ensure kills or lurm-volley heads. If you think an enemy is about to lose a body part or die and you have max morale then use a morale skill as you will waste the bonus you would receive for the crit/kill.

You should always aim to either be hard to hit (5+ evasion pips) or taking mitigated damage (in appropriate terrain effect or entrenched/bulwark/vigilance/) or even both. If this is not the case with a mech that can be shot then you need a good reason why. Am I making myself vulnerable to ensure a kill? Am I making myself a tasty target to try to take the heat off a far more injured mech? Use the land. Plan in advance where you want the fight to happen. Don't rush things, fight on your terms or not at all.

Headshots with lrm barrages are naughty (18% rolled for each missile?! Yeah please). Srm6 and med laser combos are evil on close range machines. Larger ACs seem underwhelming to me as they are too heavy, don't cause the stability damage of a rack of srm6s and you can miss all the damage with one bad roll. Large missile volleys are guaranteed to remove armour and cause stability problems. Stability is *everything*, both the key to your getting complete mechs from your enemy as well as your biggest fear. The AI will pummel one of your fallen to dust as soon as it hits the ground so never let it happen.

Also once your money is vaguely stable getting salvage instead of money is *much* more lucrative. Just sell any duplicate mechs. Ohh and don' forget to check shops in new systems. You want reinforced cockpits on your main lance asap and you can often find good + weapons in the system stores.

Oh and one final thing - the golden rule of MWO doesn't apply: this ofc being that split range loadouts are bad. You can do very well in BT by having a mech with two sets of weapons for two different ranges that you would only ever alpha with as an utter last resort. Best of luck o7

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  8. Shock

I don't have a link handy but HBS has said that missiles can only hit the head once per launcher. There's an algorithm that goes something like:
    1) Roll primary hit location for the first missile using standard hit location percentages. This is the only missile that can hit the head
    2) Roll hit locations for the remaining missiles with the percentages weighted to center around the primary location. Head is not included in determining location for the rest of the missiles from this launcher.

You can see this because a called shot to the head with an LRM20 would be expected to produce 3-4 head hits if you're rolling at 18% and that's clearly not happening

9. Gun Tuv

Yep indeed but with 40 missiles from a 2xlrm volley that causes your enemy fall that's a pretty good chance of two (or even three) injuries from one attack. Squishing the enemy pilot in his little deathbox cockpit is the surest way of both getting a quick kill and gaining a complete mech in salvage. With larger mechs where the health pool is bigger I have found myself targeting the *least* damaged area to try to get knockdowns without blowing the thing up.

10. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Can you sell equipment and Mechs instead of just scrapping Mechs?

I haven't found that option.

11. Gun Tuv

Yes Indeed! I make 95% of my money by selling mechs I make from salvage that are surplus to my requirements. They go from roughly 300k-700k a pop. Don't sell until you have a complete mech. Go to the store in a given system and select the sell tab.

12. Shock

For some reason, you have to put a mech in storage before you can sell it. Definitely sell extra weapons and ammo. You don't get much for a single but at one point, I was up to over 100 MLs in storage. It adds up