AS7-S 'Bulldog' (1x AC20, 2x SRM6, 1x SRM4, 2x MLas, NARC, BAP, AMS, STD340)

Thread in 'AS7-S' started by Aylek, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

This build's concept is to be the spearhead of a push through the enemy lines. The punch it packs is comparable to your standard DDC, but allows to go Zombie mode as well. In addition to this I added quite a battery of equipment to support this role and protect the mech and it's comrades.

When pushing into an unknown enemy's position it's important to disable the enemy ECM to allow your group to focus fire on specific targets. BAP serves double duty here in both countering one ECM as well as allowing faster identification of weak spots.

Adding a NARC to the S variant's arsenal is only logical, as the fourth launcher would increase the launchers' spread a lot. Another solution would be to use a SRM2 as already shown by Creovex in his Suckerpunch build. This is an idea I originally came across in the Misery forums about a 3/4 year ago - NARCing the focus target marks it pretty well for all other mechs in your unit and also allows for additional fire support from second line mechs or LRM mechs (if there are any). The AMS is here to reduce incoming damage while walking to the front line and also to limit incoming damage from SRMs and Streak, although the latter purpose usually is pretty limited.

The order of the SRM launchers is choosen on the purpose of spread reduction as well. If doing it this way the upper to launchers will contain the double SRM6 while the SRM4 will be placed right above on the mech's left hip.

The STD 340 is my favorite engines on my AS7s since quite some time and I use it on both my -DDC and Boar's Head. It features a nice balance of speed and agility while weighing 2.5t less thant the more obvious STD 350. I started the build with the latter, but was short on ammo for both the SRMs and the AC20, which didn't feel right at all.

I really like the CT MLas, as you'll loose at least one ST with quite some frequency, so I'd advice against placing the two MLas in the arms. A friend of mine suggested to go for quad SLas on such a build, but I am not convinced by this at all. I'd rather go for triple SRM4 and add 2 MLas to the arms. This might allow to reduce the SRM ammo a bit, but the weight saved probably won't suffice to add a bigger engine.

Weapon groups:
    1) AC20
    2) MLas
    3) SRMs
    4) NARC

It might even be possible to simplify this by grouping the NARC with the SRMs.

Possible variants include the maximization of SRM damage or to include additional MLas. I guess the latter one is pretty good as well, but probably needs the elite skills done for better heat dissipation.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

Well written and nice builds. Non-Artemis srm's seem odd, but I guess as long as you're close when firing you'll be okay, and the other benefits (narc/bap/ams) make it quite the team player.

3. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

I like to take use of the both quirks for the BFG and the SRM4s, so here is my Mod based on the third OP Version:

I go for 3t Ammo each coz most games i got screwed anyways before can reach the 4th ton, especially the BFG. I like the concept to be the spearhead. I dropped BAP in my Version coz i favor more Cooling and therefor i need the STD350.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast