AWS-8Q Dreadnaught Mk2 (2x PPC, 1x LLas, 4x MLas, AMS, STD240)

Thread in 'AWS-8Q' started by Ranak, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Ranak

Ranak New Member

A good point made by the Mod, this is a different animal, deserving a separate post!

Different Role from close/medium 8Q- Dual PPC arm = 20 Dmg to one location @ 500m. You are going to take damage, running this with an XL is a liability to your lance. Run this just behind your Atlases or on higher ground outside the skirmish. Once folks get wise to how much dmg you are doing, they will target you. Then you fight lights with the Large Laser/Med laser combo. Grouping this as two different weapon systems/ combat functions gives this mech great versatility. It is SLOW but rarely overheats if you don't get jumpy with the PPC's as bad guys approach.

The "Dreadnaught" works but takes gunnery skill to be useful, not so much with the lasers but certainly with PPC's. It also takes careful heat management as one needs to shift weapons groups based on what map/role it is playing and what range you are encountering enemies. Your Lasers can Alpha twice and at 28 dmg, that's great for making lights think twice about dancing in front of, or behind you if you know what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. knightwolf47

knightwolf47 Active Member

Hey man, cool build. I run something very similar, but with a slightly bigger engine. XLs on an Awesome are fairly problematic, I try to avoid them. When in close with the lasers I can actually get off 3-4 alphas on the hot maps before overheating. I also moved the PPCs around, not a big fan of putting all my long-range punch in one place.

That being said, placement is pretty much a matter of personal preference, what with the DHS and PPCs taking up the same amount of space. ER PPCs can be used for extra range, but again up to personal preference.

3. DarkReaver1986

DarkReaver1986 New Member

With my Awesome 8Q i wanted to build something like a Gargoyle/Man O War Config A.
    It cant run 81 kph. With Speed Tweak it "only" runs 61 kph.

It is a bit hot but makes really much damage if you can handle it.
    I have following Weapongroups:
    first 4 medium Lasers in Chainfire
    second LPL
    third 2 PPCs in Chainfire

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast