AWS-8R Air Strike (2x LRM15+A, 2x LRM10+A, 1x LLas, 1x MLas, TAG, BAP, XL300)

Thread in 'AWS-8R' started by Blagg Zear, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Hi folks, this is my approach for the AWS-8R. When i bought this Mech i wanted to build it with quad SRM6 at first. But then i made the experience that the Awesome is a bad Brawler compared to other Assault Mechs because of its huge torso. So i experimented with LRM Pods for an indirect fire support role. The first thing i tried was quad LRM15s, but the heat efficiency was not really good enough to give constant fire suppression. The other disadvantage i had was to not have enough slots/tons for high damage energy weapons but to stick with few MLs (only two if i want to have a TagLaser, which is very important for a Missile Boat, especially against ECM Atlas!). So whenever i was in a close combat situation, i had a big problem to defend myself.

So i came up with dual LRM15s + dual LRM10s, which gives 50 Missiles in one Volley. Thats 10 Missiles less than quad LRM15s, but still have enough punch to kill most enemy mechs in 2-3 Volleys. You produce a little bit less heat and so can fire more often. Instead of adding one more DHS i decided to give this baby more Ammo - 1440 Missiles is quite enough to last a whole match without going empty in most matches. Just dont shoot randomly and without constant lock. Better position yourself to have Visual and use your Tag to make a 100% Hit, but keep trying to stay in cover. The best is to stay undetected! With the free slots/tons i even could enforce my defense power - an LL supported by an ML is better than dual MLs. The LL can be used to burn farther enemies, e.g. as Support Attack to your Missiles. And you deal more Damage at Close Range (a little bit more). Sometimes its this little plus damage which decides whether you or your Enemy dies first. Since you have only two Energy Weapons, you wont really have big problem with your heat production, except you constantly use Alpha Strikes with Missiles AND Laser attacks simultaneously. Some would wonder why this build has so low Armor compared to other builds. Only the legs have relatively lower Armor, but in most cases this wont be a real problem, simply because if it comes to close combat most enemies will hit you at your large torso instead of aiming at your legs. Stick close/behind your mates at Encounters. Let your mates initialize fights and then let your large Missile Volleys rain upon the fools! You will see how fast even the Assaults will fall down. GL & HF!

Some Match Scores to show how Awesome this build is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blagg Zear

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

I like the idea of lowering the battery amount from 60 to 50 to add more secondary weapons. I don't like how horribly slow it is though. 1 Medium Laser and 1 Large Laser isn't going to save you from anything, and you can't reposition quick at all.

I also really don't like the low armor in your legs. With 720 rounds of ammo down there you're just begging to be blown up. Especially as the leg ammo is the last ammo used. A savvy player always tries to pop the legs on LRM boats to go for ammo explosions, and you're just making it easy by being slow and weakly armored.

You are also carrying one ton less than the 4 LRM15 boat most often used, so you lost ammo, not added.

3. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

so, I guess you really do need improvement :mellow:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Ok, you convinced me to use XL Engine since you usually stay far behind the frontline with this build. I stick to the LL+ML, because i want more Damage to be more active in Groupdefense, if the enemy is closer than LRM minimum range. I never had a single match where i got legged. Usually if some lights try to leg me, i get defended by my mates. If they get into my minimum range i start firing single volleys in chain to scare them away (the only case where i use chainfire). Thats the reason why i strip off armor from legs. The one ton less ammo is usually not a problem. When i see that you run out of ammo, then mostly because you permamently chainfire most times, rather than spare but concentrated alpha volleys. I myself usually dont chainfire the lrms, because the idea of this build is to strike hard at enemies who are in fights with your teammates. I try to tag and then rain 50 Missiles in two or three volleys to quickly finish off Enemies who are daring enough to give me Visual. In most games i have 2 or 3 tons left before match ends. So i dont see a reason to have that much ammo, unless u are a permament Chainfire Type.

I updated my build with more speed, more leg armor and better Heat Efficiency. In addition to it I added two alternative Builds. One with BAP instead of AMS, and another one with Dual LLs + Triple LRM15s, so you have a better chance to defend yourself against (ECM) Lights. Thx for the feedback.

Blagg Zear

5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Well, thx for your improvement ideas, but i dont like:

1. only 1080 missiles, thats missing the point of a quad LRM pod build.
    2. putting ammo in your torso, even with case. I really hate it.
    3. DHS in the ARM
    4. Tag in the ARM, the Head Energy Weapon Slot is perfect for Tag, to spy over the Hill.
    5. The little Speed Tweak via a slightly larger engine, which is in my opinion not enough to be an argument to lose that much amount of ammo.
    6. The very low armor at rear torso.

What i like in your approach is:
    1. BAP
    2. Heat Efficiency

Ok i updated my build already, well maybe some dislike, but i have very good success with my approach, because of:

1. Enough Ammo + high Offense Power
    2. More Defense Power than 2 ML
    3. Good Speed finally with XL
    4. Artemis
    5. AMS

Blagg Zear

6. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

if OVER 1000 missiles doesn't cut up the enemy, IDK what will. Still, love the improvements you have made.

"Large Lasers and LRMS's are a great combo" - All Mechs Magazine

7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Im glad you enjoy the improvements. About the amount of ammo - since this build is primarly for shooting missiles with four (!) Pods with relatively weak Energy Firepower you can never have enough ammo especially if the enemies are clever enough to permamently take cover. Sometimes even with 1440 missiles i sometimes run out of ammo. In my opinion always take 2tons ammo per missile pod as Rule for an LRM boat. If you fire in 50 missile volleys at hardlocked enemies then sure u can kill fast and so can save a lot of missiles. But thats the ideal case. In real game scenario you most times will waste half of the ammo (cover +group AMS). And with 1000 missiles thats 500! Thats damn much waste. So thats why i am packing that much ammo.

Blagg Zear

8. sh4m369

sh4m369 New Member

Hey! I think I remember playing a game with you and you asking me what I was running on my 8R. And you said you where running the 2 10s and 2 15s and here is your full build. I have decided to give your build a spin to see what I thought. As far as the large and the medium go instead of 2 mediums, I personally didn't notice too much of a difference between the 4 extra damage when a brawler got up on me. Where I saw the use of the Ll (and range over the medium) was when I had line of sight and I could finish them off with the laser to conserve ammo for another volley. As far as the 50 vs 60 missiles goes, I still was ripping into any mech that decided to face me for a bit to long. As far as the heat goes yes you can fire more sustained when you have the chance. but I know that normally with my 4 15s that the first 2 volleys are the full 60 and if i need more I am only chaining to conserve ammo to not waste a full 60 rounds when their CT is in the orange or red. Because of this I am still rarely overheating. All in all I do like your alot, and can see why you run it. I personally still like the 4 15s and 2 medium build because I was still pulling more damage a match. It could be bias that I have used it since I got the 8R, or that I'm not as good of a pilot with it that you are. But either way thats just my 2 cents

-Sh4m3

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Hi buddy, well i cant remember which match it was exactly where we played together. I hope i could kill enough for our team! ;-3

About the little extra damage. Well yeah, you might dont feel to have more punch, but what i find useful is to finish off heavily damaged enemies from a better distance to save ammo. Exactly as you said! With MLs you are limited to use them in a relative close range with lower damage, and thats in my opinion not viable enough for a LRM Boat. Even a Catapult C1, which is known to be weak at Selfdefense, has more direct Firepower! And thats what i dont like with the AWS-8R Quad LRM15 Build, which i played myself at first. I even tended to get rid of the MLs to add 2tons more Ammo, because i couldnt use them effectively. Mostly for scaring away Lights, but are they really scared by two MLs? I wouldnt if Im in a Light. Most times when i was forced to use the MLs, it usually meant i got surprised by an enemy at close range or my team was fukked up already.

So my Approach here is to give at least some little more direct Firepower+Range at cost of some little Indirect Firepower, what i never found to be a real problem - you still have enough Punch to take down even Assaults quickly. I love to focus on ECM.Atlas with some few Alpha Volleys and watching them desperatedly returning fire (if they ever realize what and who hit them so hard) before going up in an Explosion. Hell yeah, with 50 Missile Volleys you deal more Damage at once than the best Stalker LRM Boat! There is no reason to max out Volley Alpha Damage in my opinion at high cost of Selfdefense Power, especially if the hard damaged Enemies (below 50% Health) succeeds to get closer than your minimum range and you cant take them down with your 2 MLs but instead they fukk u up very hard in a rage of revenge. WTF! This is worst scenario! Honestly i even find my other Approach (Triple 15s + Dual LLs) better now. It simply feels more like an Ultra.Catapult.C1 (without Jumpjets) but with similar to equal direct Firepower. I love it.

About firing strategy - yeah you can rain two 60 Missiles Volley and then Chainfire instead of raining another whole volley. In my matches i try to weaken an enemy until his health goes down to 40% If i havent killed him already with my last Volley (most cases because of Artemis), i leave them to my buddies and go for the next one. Usually i try to focus on Assaults (Atlas, Highlanders, Stalkers) with full Volleys until they die. Only for fast Lights or Mediums which i hardly hit i chainfire to save ammo, just until they get stuck in a brawl or get legged. I would rarely Chainfire just because probabilistically you would waste more Ammo at same fired Missile.Number, especially if enemies have AMS. Better waste another full volley to quickly finish off hardknocking enemies rather than leaving them some more time to return fire at your team.

Hope to meet yah soon again in a decent match.

Blagg Zear

p.s.

look at his build i have recently came up to:

looks superior than the AWS-8R Triple 15s + Dual LLs Build if it comes to direct Firepower:

10. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

That Artemis is the kicker for sure. 50 missles tightened up into a tactical strike... Kinda regretting my 8V not having room for LRM+A.

REALLY like the second build with Art, BAP and Tag. Seems unstoppable with some Lance support!

5 star!

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Mission accomplished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And no Heat Penalty unlike the Quad LRM15 build.

12. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Double AWS-8R LRM50 Boats in my Team:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaand another great Match:

[​IMG]

13. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

This mech just got kicked in the junk with PGI linking all LRM20, LRM15, and LRM10s into the same class for the heat stacking penalty. Makes me sad.

14. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

yeah, makes me sad too... but i think, its still viable, if not Alphaing too much. Just need to Alpha, Chainfire, Alpha aso.. needs a new playstyle.