AWS-8R "Death Bear" (2x LRM15, 2x PPC, 2x SRM6, 1x MPLas, XL300)

Thread in 'AWS-8R' started by Banky, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Banky

Banky New Member

It's everything your mom told you NOT to do on a mech. The heat efficiency is low (but very manageable with each set of weapons tailored to a different range). It's running an XL on an AWS --- but in a mech that's not designed to be the first guy over the hill. This is the one shooting "that guy". It's the ultimate "how did that much stuff fit into an 80-ton mech" mech. If ammo's a concern, you can save it by chain firing the LRMs (which is kinda what you should do anyways). And you can always downgrade one or both SRM6's to 4's and fill a ton of whichever into it's place.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I think chain fire is ok, but LRM's are better when fired at the same time.
    as for your heat, I would try LL instead. better brawling, at least.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  3. Banky

Banky New Member

Actually, I'd prefer sticking with the PPCs - for a couple of reasons. First off, the 8-series AWS is a big risk for an XL engine. You really don't want to expose yourself to fire very often - if at all. It's the whole reason I threw the LRMs on to begin with. It gives you a way to drop damage without exposing yourself. PPCs are instant damage. You drop your shot and move back to cover. And you only need to expose your right arm to do it. Second, the PPCs will uncover ECM targets... LLs won't. PPCs are fine for brawling. You just need to keep from face-hugging and they work great. That's why I threw the SRM6's and the MPL into the build. You can't fire "everything" on this mech efficiently. It's meant to be able to drop "solid" damage at all ranges though... and it works quite well in that regard. If you don't have a spotter? Still plenty of firepower. If you do? No need to expose yourself at all till the LRMs run dry. LL's really aren't good for brawling at all anyways. They're much too hot for what you get out of them. If brawling is a concern, you're better off running the 8R with 4SRM6's, 2 LLs and a ML - or something along those lines (with a standard 300).