AWS-8R Indirect Fire Support (2x MPlas, 1x MLas, 4x LRM15, XL200)

Thread in 'AWS-8R' started by Michael, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Essentially this is a zombie build; "shamble in to position and then unleash hell". In other words it pays to not get yourself noticed. You have to be able to kill things before they get through your missile umbrella or you are toast!

This thing has been capable of doing 1500 points of damage in a match resulting in 4 kills and 2000+ XP per round.

Don't believe me?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. Lepto

Lepto New Member

"Multiple bogies spotted Sir"
    "Fire at will!"

Sounds like you were really enjoying that :D

3. Hunchback

Hunchback New Member

Olololo the video is so OP i laughed my ass off. Gotta love the retarded commentary and laugh, and i don't say retarded in an offensive way but more like "zomg i own this is op, drooool, *smash keyboard with face*" kinda way.

Nice setup, gonna try it when i get the cash to buy an Awesome, one day... Will be a while *sigh*

P.S. What are your thoughts on Artemis?

4. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Man, if your side torsos get punctured, you'll become an 85-ton fireworks display.

I'm rather impressed by the extreme specialization in this build.

5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Im not the original builder of this Awesome. I just found it on MWO and reposted it here because

A) This is where mech builds belong
    B) This was just too damn funny not to.

I'm trying to encourage more and moar people to begin posting their builds over here as this site is specfically targeted for it!

6. dbnator

dbnator New Member

I know the thread is a littlebit older, but i think u should buy a Light standard engine in this Build to get more Ammo.. and 3 tons of AMS ammo u dont need maybe us only 1 Ton

7. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

If you move to standard engine you'd have to drop to a 150/155 in order to shave 1 ton to make tonnage for ammo. The XL is already small in weight at 7.5 tons and 150/155 is 6.5 tons.
    You'd be better off swapping some AMS ammo(which is used to protect YOU from LRM boats since you lack ECM) for LRM ammo. HOWEVER, 9 tons should be enough, especially with the use of ECM on enemy teams.

@ 1620 LRM with the current build, you can get off 27 full volleys. If the game has lasted long enough for you to run out of ammo then 1 of 2 things has happened: You either helped kill 6-7 'mechs and only need to clean up the last OR you wasted your ammo and haven't helped kill many. 1st option leaves you with 2 MPL and a ML to clean up, and the 2nd means you're in trouble.

Make your shots count and you won't run out of ammo with this build.

8. Hunchback

Hunchback New Member

Wonder if this build is viable now that there's the Stalker out, which can carry even MOAR missiles and lasers and shit... @ the same base walking speed, with 5 tonnes more. The awesome has higher armour, but do you need armour for missile support?

Thoughts?

9. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

This is my take on this build. I ran it 5 times, solo pug. I went 5-0 with a 19-2 KDR. I must say I like....

10. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Nice, I like the rebuild on it! You should post that as a specific build.

11. FuzzyBunny

12. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Zombie is a bit of a wrong word usage within the MWO community. Typically it means a build that can still deal damage with both torsos blown off. This uses an XL engine, so no chance of that happening.

I like Fuzzy's rebuild, but I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to run LRMs in the present climate.

13. Praslek2

Praslek2 Dispossessed

It's still good, but it's hard to get the same mileage out of this thing since missiles were taken out back and shot in the head.

14. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I figured "what the hay, I might as well do an LRM boat." I did a combination of the original build and Fuzzy's redo. It's slow. It runs hot. But my golly, do I have a ton of LRMs...plus 10!

15. Dwergi

Dwergi Well-Known Member

I've run a few LRM boats, and found that it's basically impossible to do any decent amount of damage with them anymore.

LRM boats are just a waste of tonnage, and if anyone comes within 500m of you, you die.

16. FuzzyBunny

Incorrect. An LRM pilot must simply be better at his craft. Its not easy mode anymore, its a challenge. And for those of you who think all those stats came only from when LRM's where OP I'll just drop this:

The worst thing is that with the current nerfed damage you have to carry an awful lot of ammo. I have 1620 in my current build, and still would run out before the end of the match.

Its not perfect, no build is. Everything has its weakness for sure. Even with that I don't know how many times I've locked on someone 500 meters away who through they could just run up on me and kill me just to erase them. 60 missiles is still 47 damage every 4.25 seconds...

17. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I did three rounds on it, got over 400 damage per round. Of course that would have been over 1028 damage per round pre-nerf...

18. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

This is going to be my redo when BAP gets buffed, to prevent ECM from blocking my LRMs.

19. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

That is a pretty bad ass build! I will migrate that to the top when BAP comes out!

20. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Hi there, i tended to give this build 4 of 5 stars by looking at the incredibly high Fire Power you have. But when i looked close to it, i realized following bad/missing things:

1. very small XL Engine = crap speed
    2. 2000 AMS ammo! really necessary??
    3. no Artemis
    4. no Tag
    5. no BAP
    6. poor Heat Efficiency

Well, i finally gave this build 3 stars but intended to give even less because of all the deficiencies. You can really optimize this build by adding at least larger engine, Artemis and TAG.

Blagg Zear