AWS-8R Missile Boat (3x LRM15+A, 1x LPLas, 1x MLas, AMS, BAP, TAG, XL300)

Thread in 'AWS-8R' started by Aylek, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Post recovered from the old forums by pressing the browser's back button.

This is a build I developed for one of my team members who was unhappy with his old 8R missile boat. Since then I grew to the decision to level Awesomes for myself as well, so taking that approach for a start seemed to be natural.

There already was some questions and discussion about this build in my thread asking about the most worthwhile AWS variants for leveling and keeping. To avoid any double information I'll simply quote the most important parts here, as this should cover some of the most obvious questions arising with this build.

General suggestions:

I took the 8R because I wanted MORE LRMs than my A1 or C1 Cats could reasonably throw at the enemy. The Catapults' RT & LT are hard to hit, so there's no problem in using an XL. Turning the AWS 8R into a slower and non-jumping Cat-simile would would mean it's purchase becomes pointless for my mech garage.

I am sorry, but I forgot to mention that I handle the armor distribution like Skribs does. I usually use the *max armor* link in the mechlab and then adjust the legs' and arms' armor until the desired amount or mech's weight is reached. Should've mentioned that.

Thank you!

Regarding choice of energy weapons:

LPL and ML are working fantastically as a pair or in multiples. Their range and reload time is nearly identical. I even use 2LPL + 1 ML on my Heavy Metal's left arm. Works like a charm.

In comparison to 2 LL you loose some range, but which should be irrelevant when using multiple LRM 15. Additionally, the LPL + ML duo only requires 8 tons (vs. 10), thus allowing more LRM Ammo and also runs cooler than a pair of LL.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Actually, when I get around to getting an 8V, I might try something like what I recommended - basically this build tweaked a bit to get more out of it.

As to the Catapult, I'm looking at doing a normal ALRM30 C1 when I get around to catapults, but the idea of a LRM90 A1 is intruiging.

3. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

On second thought, I don't think the 8V 3xALRM15 boat is that good of an idea. The problem is that ammo placement sort of makes it fail. Your RT is full, so you can place your ammo either on the right arm, center torso, and leg, (where a crit will probably destroy you with 198 damage per ton of ammo) or you can place it on the left side and get CASE, where losing one side means you lose the weapons or the ammo. I do think the 8R is the superior choice here.

If you wanted to go 2xALRM30 (with STD or XL), the 8T would be much better choice.

4. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Hi there,

this is a very good mix of high Range Combat Firepower and somehow the best Selfdefense Power you can squeeze out of the AWS-8R while using TAG and large Missile Pods. I came up to dual LLs first but then i realized that following your idea with LPL+ML (at cost of some little Laser Power+Range) you could free up 2 tons of tonnage for adding BAP to your boat. Excellent idea. Alternatively you can stay with dual LL but replacing AMS with BAP. Dual LLs might be taking more tonnage, but they r more effective because of Range + Damage. If you can succeed to find cover everytime of the match or stick to mates with AMS then it should be a good tradeoff.

I give you full stars for your build, because i find it very effective.

Blagg Zear

5. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Despite the implementation of ghost heat this build still works like a charm. One of my favorite mechs at the moment.

6. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

just an Alternative for higher Direct Firepower.. ;-3

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014