AWS-8R "Wooosh!" (4xLRM15+A, 2xML, TAG, XL300)
5/5,

3 ratings

Thread in 'AWS-8R' started by FuzzyBunny, Mar 15, 2013.

1. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

Well there you have it. This in my opinion is the deadliest LRM mech currently out there. Here are the reasons why:

#1 It puts 60 missiles down range in one volley. One Volley.... This increases you DPS as it makes the recharge on the launchers as short as possible. It also decreases the time from launch until all the missiles impact. It also limits the effectiveness of AMS vs. your missiles fired.

#2 For a mech that mounts 4 LRM 15s it is fast. At over 65 KPH you are able to easily follow your favorite pack of mechs and demolish what ever poor fool they start to brawl with. This mech is best served using its mobility to keep its target in direct line of sight and fire to maximize the damage from the Artemis.

#3 By using the Awesome chassis you are not crippled by the poor torso twist of the Stalker, or the lesser amount of armor from the Catapult. This thing has almost max armor, even on the legs and shield arm where the ammo is. This surprises people who think you have low leg armor and try to leg you.

#4 You mount your tag in one of the best places on the mech. By having the tag in the head you make it nearly impossible to take out, and it is high in the mech to tag over ridge lines more easily.

The only true weakness of this mech is that for close up defense weapons it only has 2 ML's. This is countered by staying near your brawl pocket. Normally if you are by the brawl someone can scratch your light, or by the time they even see you you have already pummeled them into the ground.

This mech has quickly moved into my upper tier of mechs I run.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Phinox

Phinox New Member

Finally gotten around to having a look at that... Looks deadly as all hell.

I think having one of the most potent LRMboats being able to run with the main pack could see this baby being very underestimated.

Only change I'd think about would be moving some ammo to CT (WHAT? AMMO IN CT? MADNESS I SAY!), simply because 1t of LRM ammo will provide 3 full salvos, meaning if you were to put 2t into CT then by the grace of how ammo is used, as soon as you have fired 6 volleys your CT ammo is empty and safe. That's 2t less ammo in your arms that may cook off later.

3. FuzzyBunny

Yeah good point, I might consider that indeed.

4. ahbrown

ahbrown New Member

Gave this build a good playthrough. Highest damage was 1081. Good fun. Thanks for the share!

5. JimmyKerrigan

JimmyKerrigan New Member

Man oh man, as soon as I have another 5 million friggin c bills just for the engine I will build this Awesome.

6. FuzzyBunny

Yeah it's fun times! You won't regret the XL300, it has use in tons of mechs. The Atlas K comes with one if you are looking to get a mech with one already in it.

7. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

With LRMs actually hitting now, I might go with something like this over my current build. As it stands, I have 11 tons of ammo.

Biggest concern is no BAP, because it takes only one ECM light to get on top of you for your ability to target anything with LRMs to go away.

8. Dustwalker

Dustwalker Junior Member

u can swap a heatsink + 0.5t of Leg Armor for a BAP easly

9. Arkangel

Arkangel Junior Member

looks great, I'll try, thx !!!

10. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

I have drops with an average of 500dmg since the last patch (had 200 as well as 1k, depends on scouting team). IF I get into the mood of playing a LRM boat then this is my primary choice!

11. FuzzyBunny

Yeah. Awesome is still Awesome!

12. Dustwalker

Dustwalker Junior Member

13. Tsume Eiranis

Tsume Eiranis Well-Known Member

No you can't...

no more free slots in the build. I am looking at this build with 2 tons less ammo and BAP instead.

14. Dustwalker

Dustwalker Junior Member

yes true, my bad - you can up the Armor to 480 thou, which is exactly the Build i have in one of my Mechbay - imho 7t Ammo is still suffiiciant

15. FuzzyBunny

You could for sure tinker with the build, and I fully encourage people to make it work for them.

For me though it is the perfect storm. I will normally run out of ammo at the end of the match, so I need every ton. As for heat I ussually chain fire the missiles, so I can manage the heat, but when I really want to lay into someone I have to lay it down hot and hard. I've over heated, or come very close to, in some really tight matches just because of the need to keep the fire up. I also reposition constantly so I need every bit of speed, which also helps me to spread damage over the barn door of a mech the Awesome is.

Pretty much this thing wrecks a lot of face as long as you stay keenly aware of the battlefield and don't play like a long range hill shooter. It really shines when you stay with the group, 300 meters or so behind them, and just pummel close range targets. Close for LRMS though.

I really don't mind taking long range shot either, even if I lose a lot of them to the mech getting into cover, because it allows me to help dictate where I want that mech to move. By forcing the mech into cover, or to run regularly, I remove some of their options. which helps my team get a better control on the battlefield.

Now keep in mind, this is a LRM boat, so I've had some epic fails. Usually when a ECM light runs up on me and I can't get my team to scrape it off. For the most part though this is the mech I run that has by far the best KDR and W/L record. I'm working on getting it to 200 matches played and even when the missiles we nerfed into the ground I still enjoyed driving it occasionally.

16. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

I tried so hard to find another mech that could fill the niche this build does, and another build could not be had. The sheer killing power this thing has is unmatched. I love it and hate it. Love the build, hate that I have to get elite for Awesomes now >.>

17. FuzzyBunny

Ha! You're welcome!

18. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Good god! Just played against this build and had to Smurfy it to see what the hell was throwing up as much as two boats! This is just amazing. I already have two Awesomes with the basic variant capped but never even looked at the 8R, because, typically I hate LRMs. I get bored. But I think 60 at once maaaay entertain me! :D I would prolly try it with 1260 missles and BAP and test her both ways... Wow... That thing just single-handedly steam-rolled my team. The Aptly Named "Awesome." Great build!

19. FuzzyBunny

20. Josef_Koba

Josef_Koba New Member

I've been using this build sporadically over the past few days with a buddy of mine piloting his Jager or Stalker. This build wrecks stuff, big time I've experimented with LRM boats before and have never had much success, mostly because the LRMs launch in a staggered way. Sixty LRMs coming down at once is a terrible thing for the enemy. It's not a super-high damage dealer, though I've had a few matches in which it does, but I almost always end up with at least three kills. Over 14 matches my K/D ratio is 9.33 or 28-3. I'm sure that if I were running it solo it wouldn't hold up as well, but I'm super pleased with this build.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast