AWS-8V "The Rainmaker" (3xLRM15, TAG, BAP, XL300)

Thread in 'AWS-8V' started by TheMadPanda, Mar 1, 2015.

1. TheMadPanda

TheMadPanda New Member

This Mech was always something I just had to level up, I didn't put much thought into it and it was left to sit in my library. A couple of days ago I looked at it, why does this Mech have a large laser? How would it look if I removed the laser and just had LRM's. This is the result...

The base is quite simple, just double heat sinks and standard structure and armor.
    I've currently maxed out the armor, but you can probably tweak it if you want a bit more ammo or such, but I like it the way it is.

Now the engine, here are two very good choices.
    • XL-300 is my current engine and it's a good choice, you get the speed and two internal heat sinks. But it weighs a bit too much, this is where the 280 comes in.
    • XL-280 is the perfect engine for this mech, it weighs a bit less than the 300 so you can fit more ammo and have the same cooling efficiency. I currently doesn't have this engine and therefor using the 300 instead.
    3xLRM15 utilize the hard points and the missile slots perfectly with the XL engine. If you add Artemis then you would have to go down in LRM size to 3xLRM10 which I think would be a huge downgrade. And I usually don't have line of sight with my LRM boats so a ARTEMIS won't have great effect. When in line of sight I use the tag though so still get some bonus.
    But for the most time I try to stay hidden so I don't get caught by snipers or missiles. The TAG and the Beagle Active probe are essential for every LRM boat in my opinion.

I call it the rainmaker because it has so high DPS and cooling ability, and with the current quirks(February patch) you have 1250 meter range with the LRM15 range module. Which is great on open maps where nobody expects LRM's from 1100+ meters.
    The UAV is essential on every mech in my opinon, and the airstrike is more optional.

My current list of modules:
    • LRM15 Range
    • LRM15 Cooldown
    • Advanced Target Decay
    • Advanced Sensor Range
    • UAV
    • Airstrike
    Below is first my current version and after that the dream (with a XL280 and more ammo), enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

I think this is the best compromise for this build :

+1 DHS to use all slots, and since this mech can generate some serious heat I think it's overall worth the trade for 1T of ammo. Not like you have few ammo anyway !
    And also the upper part is so big that the XL285 it's worth to strip some (very few, and you had leftover weight) armor on the legs.

The real problem of the build is that you can basically do the same on the 8R

With :

LRM/15 Cooldown 25%
    Missile Weapon Heat Generation -15%

Skipping the 25% (!) cooldown and the heat gen quirk (will be useful with quirks + modules, the spam will be crazy) is not a good idea for me, this build belong to the 8R chassis to me, the range won't make up for more cooldown and no heatgen quirk. Unless you really want to fire over 1000m, but that's usually not needed and not really effective from that distance. But if you like the range of course go for it !

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast