AWS-8V Ugly Baby (2x LRM15, 1x ERPPC, 1x LLas, 2x MLas, STD260)

Thread in 'AWS-8V' started by eisenpanzer, Aug 19, 2013.

1. eisenpanzer

eisenpanzer New Member

Currently running this.

I wanted a well rounded Aws after reading some guy hyping the stock PB, but I don't really want to buy another hero mech atm, so I figured I'd try a similar build, but slower. I tried SRMs early on but after some playing I dropped SRMs because they're not a good use of my weight/slots IMO, they're too hard to use with an alpha shot playstyle because of the different shot charcteristics from the rest of the weapons.

Basic play, I use LRMs for long range exchange and poking/softening the enemy. I typically run them on chain fire, while not necessarily optimal for piercing AMS defenses, I use a single shot to 'prod' and see if the target is going to remain locked/hittable, that way if they are moving or behind cover I only lose 15 missiles instead of 30.

When I can safely get LOS on a target I use the ER PPC for some additional ranged damage, if I'm in water and have a clear shot I'll fire some LLAS shots their way as well but this gets hot pretty fast, so water only.

When enemies engage me up close I use alpha strikes coupled with torso twisting my left arm to shield until cool enough for another alpha. I feel this is where the Aws really shines and what I like most about it.

I went with lasers in torso over PPC because it's much easier to hit fast movers with lasers than a PPC and they're going to be my biggest worry, with my speed I have the misfortune of getting left behind sometimes by my team and when the enemy lights find me alone I like to be able to not feel so helpless against them.

Once I get the money for an XL I'll probably change to

It'll run hot but the play is highly focused on alpha + left arm shielding so hopefully it will work out.

Might be possible to strip some LRM ammo for another DHS, I don't usually run out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to Mechspecs, I hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm surprised you don't have BAP or AMS. Those would really help you with your XL build. I do like the concept, But the 8T could run this a bit better. overall, 3-5 stars, as it needs work.

3. eisenpanzer

eisenpanzer New Member

I've thought about the AMS but honestly I don't attract a lot of missile attention since I'm usually using LRMs until a safe brawl has engaged. If I get locked on I turn my left arm to them and back to a safe area to drop lock.

That's one reason I didn't want the 8T, I did consider it would be easier to hit with my energy hardpoints, but then your left arm becomes more important to save and using it as a damage soak is more penalizing.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast