1. Hi everyone!
    This is a kind reminder to rate the builds you play or read. The ETA for the new rating system is not yet here, but if everyone active could rate 1 build per day, we can have everything rated in only 1 month! Don't feel bad about giving bad ratings with some constructive criticism :)
    Thanks in advance -- the MechSpecs team.
  2. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

Banshee & XL Engine - are you sure?

Discussion in 'Banshee' started by Blagg Zear, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

It looks like some build designers don't see a problem to use an XL Engine in the Banshee (direct fire heavy). My question: Don't you think this is as Bad as putting an XL Engine in an Atlas? The hitboxes seem very similar, with a big ST with Cannons spiking out. Pair this with close range builds and you can say byebye in the first few engagements.

Or do you already have some good experience with XL Engines in your Banshee?

Blagg

2. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

Friends don't let friends... you know the rest

Cpt Chattahah likes this.
  3. Business

Business Advanced Member

I think getting this mech in the first place is as bad an idea as using an XL in it. What a pos

4. Remarius

Remarius Space Pimp

As much as its tempting looking at the payload you could carry and all the heatsinks you could store in the larger engine I find myself taking point with heavies backing me up in most matches when in the Banshee. An XL just seems a liability in that role. I've had several matches where I ended up without one side in the Malinche and never stopped fighting.... Even had one where I ended up zombieing with just the head mounted medium laser. :wtf:

5. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

I don't run an XL in mine, that allows me to at least use the huge amounts of armor to spread damage around. That being said I'd say the LM is at best a middle ground assault.

6. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

I am now thinking XLs are really viable in a Banshee.

The arms shield the side torso really well and most hits go CT for some reason.

I've almost NEVER had a game where I was able to zombie the Banshee. The CT hitbox is really huge.

I've only had a game or two where I lost a side torso first. And yes, I do torso twist. But somehow the hits keep going to the arms and CT and seldom the sides

Anyone lost their sides recently and managed to zombie?

7. firebeyer

firebeyer Space Pimp

I think the CT hit box is way to large on the banshee and will eventually get reworked. Seems like they make the same mistakes over and over with these mechs.

8. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Yepp, especially now with long range snipers and LRM rain to spread all over. I zombied last night, two games in a row.

9. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I personally avoid XLs on the Banshee.
    The purpose is not really to zombie - it leaves you a walking AMS with a MLas, there's no glory in it - but to survive with one side destroyed and still wreck faces.
    The CT hitbox is indeed huge (and might be redone soon), but it's still doable to tank A LOT with arms and side torsos.

10. book

book New Member

Reviving this topic since I'm trying to figure out how to build my 3M. I was initially just going to go STD with MPL, but I really like being able to reach out and touch people with LPLs. At the same time, I like the idea of going near 70 kph, but that's not really compatible with running 4 LPLs unless you go XL. So, I guess my question is two-fold. Good idea to run XL on Banshees and if not, how much does the lack of speed affect you?

11. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

My 3m for pugging is built STD:
    [​IMG]

It's got some LPLas to take advantage of the quirks, goes nearly 70, and has decent range. As with many other subjects in MWO, whether or not an XL works for you is going to be a balance between 10+ factors. Personally, I enjoy the consistency afforded by not getting my XL popped in a still relatively low mobility mech in a high firepower game balance. Durability and quirks let me make my mark in a way that benefits the team by soaking damage to my core. If I had so much faith in my group's strong mechs and coordination I'd consider an XL to fly higher. If I had so little faith I knew I needed to do more damage personally, I'd chose a more firepower related mech like a Stalker or fire support Light/Medium, as this one seems tanky/brawly to me.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  12. Remarius

Remarius Space Pimp

Luckily the necessily of having every slot in the torso full for triple AC5 cured me of any temptation to take a XL. The much maligned La Malinche - tanks like a mofo and has a shielding side with just one weapon.

Not sure I ever posted it.

13. Ragnar RedHawk

Ragnar RedHawk Well-Known Member

The mech has to have a lot of punch and a fast xl engine for me. I usually get around 5 kills and 1000 damage.

14. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

This.

Banshees can tank damage like nothing else, imo. Sure, it's 5 tons lighter than an Atlas, which means slightly less armor overall; but the Banshee's hitbox is MUCH more ideal for spreading damage across all torsi, and its massive (empty) shield arms are notorious. Basically, any time I need a 'Mech to push the line in, to tank damage up front in, and to still survive the match in, I take the Banshee. No other 'Mech in this game can tank like it.

That said, the Banshee certainly IS capable of carrying a good load of firepower, and an XL engine can help with that. As Tfun mentioned, if you think your team is good enough that you won't need to carry, and you're really just concerned with keeping up with your friends and being able to do some decent damage before they kill everything, then XL may be the way to go for you. And keep in mind, the Banshee hitbox's ability to spread damage applies the same for XL engines as for Standards. If you can torso twist alot of the incoming damage onto your shield arms, you may find an XL engine to be very worthwhile.

Here are a few builds I do recommend, if you want alot of speed AND firepower in a Banshee:

15. Ragnar RedHawk

Ragnar RedHawk Well-Known Member

I personally don't like putting AMS in favor of more heatsinks. I really love glass cannons though.

16. P

P Well-Known Member

i boat single heatsink, what do?

17. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

One of the few mechs you can boat SHS and actually turn up better.

18. P

P Well-Known Member

PyckenZot likes this.