BNC-3S "Don't Need No Left Torso" (6x LLas, STD340)

Thread in 'BNC-3S' started by Falconium, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm serious. While playing around with this variant on Smurfy, trying out different builds on it (and coming up with some pretty hilarious ones), I stumbled on this concept. And though it has certainly been done before on the BNC-3M, the 3S manages to keep all 6 Lasers on one side of the 'Mech (well, one in the CT, but it still counts ;)).

The purpose is to peek with just the right side, and dish out all your weapons in 2 quick salvos (3 at a time now with the adjusted LLaser heat-penalty rule). And of course, you have the entire Left Side to shield with, albeit at the loss of a few DHS; but rather that than half your fire-power. Also, don't forget to experiment with your weapon groups to make sure the 3 Lasers in the higher mounts are in one group, for poking over ridges. :thumbsup:

Still have to try it out in-game, but should be an interesting way to play this thing.

2. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

IDK about skipping out on the BNC-3M's quirks... you're gonna miss those energy weapon duration and heat generation perks.

3. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

@tfun90 --- I actually ran this the other night for a few matches, and found that to be the case. For all that the build works great, it simply works much better on a 'Mech with more quirks (i.e. the Stalker-4N). It's a nice concept to be able to peek and fire with just the right side; but in practice, quirks just make the Stalker a MUCH better chassis for this build.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  4. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

You pretty much hit on what I was going to add to the build ;) 6 LLas can work really well with the ghost heat changes, but when you're loading 6 on a mech with no heat reduction quirks, it just runs too hot. Hell, even the 4N with 20% heat quirks runs pretty hot with 6 LLas.

That said, this idea isn't quite DOA, you can mod it a bit to make it workable:

First, drop a LLas, max the armor out, and add a DHS. Tiny bit of wasted tonnage, but it works. (I redid your armor allocations a bit, since this is gonna need some good soaking ability in the front); I also capped the engine with the STD345 to fill tonnage:

Alternatively, there's the cheaper version, drop 2 lasers and Endo-Steel and you still have a nasty set of lasers, plus I threw in a BAP for the hell of it (alternatively, put in a MLas in the head). 4LLas is still a nasty wakeup call for a lot of mechs, and can shred armor very quickly thanks to the 7.5% beam time reduction and energy range. With all the extra heat sinks, this build is also very good on cooling, and can sustain fire for a long time (41 seconds approx. to overheat without falling into ghost heat). Can either fire the lasers 2/2, or do a 3/1 cycle:

Falconium likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast