Car Fax (work in progress)

Discussion in 'Kit Fox' started by Soy, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

Fuck off from commenting for a bit, let me get some paint on the canvas first, thanks.

- MAIN CONCEPT REVOLVES PRINCIPALLY AROUND FLEXIBILITY... ALLOWS FOR ALL 3 WEPS TYPES ON 1 CHASSIS, WITH JJS AND ECM... BRINGING ME TO THE NEXT POINT
    -- THE OTHER TWO IMPORTANT CONCEPTS ARE... JJS FOR TARTING/SOAKING/MOBILITY, AND ECM CUZ SHIT ARMOR AND SLOW AS FUCK.

- built on any chassis, but always requires the 'C' arm... thus i call this a 'C' variant KFX.
    -- built on any chassis, but always requires the 'S' torsos... and dont use 'S' legs, explained below

- main wep currently being worked out is CERPPC.
    -- leaves room for a bit of flexibility on the non-'C' arm
    --- you can forget the PPC for a LL... or rock missiles... or run a big ballistic or a MG array including the torso slots. thus the flexibility.

- jjs are min/maxed to get extra tonnage.
    -- only using the 2 from 'S' torsos (1 in each torso)
    --- 'S' torsos are basically 'final' assuming using the TC1 in the left and filling em up with hsinks.
    ---- don't use JJs in legs cuz those variant legs have a shitty debuff quirk? just use the 2 from 'S' torsos.

- armor must be maxed.
    -- if you need to squeeze out half a ton then it's coming from dropping legs from 28 down to 20, and head from 18 to 16.
    --- haven't found perfect feel for back armor balancing, but feels like 10ch, 6r/l to

* thing sucks without speed tweak. that extra speed helps you maintain range and shit from pressing heavies and mediums, and get back to group with a bit less damage if being harassed by a legit light

*main glaring weakness is legs, getting targeted there almost exclusively... anyone not going legs is a fucking idiot, unless they have srms, in which case I [typically] fuck off. you can even brawl with derps if they cant remain calm and shoot if circling em.

* umbrella your shitty ass teammates, help dictate range by tarting with PPC and maintaining lockons to help show mates where enemy is, yada yada... try not to killsteal at least not until later on, can't really afford to walk into an early trap

* usually dont want to be looked at or 'thought of' by enemy, but you can bait with a laser then follow up with ppc when enemy thinks they have that short open window of opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

For the record, first build on day 1 of returning was actually built to tilt on only straight heat sinks, CERPPC, and 2 small lasers. ECM, JJs, and a TC1. Rest straight heat sink dump, even half a ton shaved off max armor.

Also very briefly took a gander at dropping a heat sink, making the PPC have a stronger buddy in that arm with a CERML, and throwing a TAG in the gimpy ECM hand (no ams).

But anyways, after 24 hours of getting settled in and actually getting to a stopping point, here's first real alpha concept in the workshop today:

As you can see I'm just exploring AMS, for umbrellaing and for SRM protection. Results to come.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

well, keep it up. You may find 2x cERLL will work just as well.

4. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

^ Dude stfu, let the master work

So today while AFKing other two variants 8/8 basics, wanted to fiddle around a bit in mechlab and see what I could do to make something a lil more creative, if not as self-reliant...

Will be trying this out tomorrow for a few casual derp rounds while grinding out elite tier:

I CANT FUCKING LINK TO SMURFY CUZ THIS WEBSITE TURNED TO SHIT APPARENTLY SO HERE IT IS FOR MY OWN REFERENCE LATER ON

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  5. The Verge

fixed it for you

Soy likes this.
  6. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

OMG man get out! xD

...If anyone actually wants to make their presence known in this thread, then answer this question...

I've asked myself for a day now this question: if it's really about 'C' arm and 'S' torsos....... does it truly even matter what Fox chassis I build upon? I'm not seeing any omni quirks on Prime, D, or S that can't be dealt with ala switching omni parts... Am I missing something? Cuz I only have 75MC for a one-shot camo that I won from the final Tourny I participated in, and I don't wanna blow it on camoing the wrong chassis with some shitty debuff quirk that I missed... As far as I can tell, going C arm and S torso on any build [minus one with S legs] is an empty canvas with no debuffs that I'm missing. Eh?

7. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

Been doing a bit of Testing Grounds as it relates to quirks and 2 or 3 JJs, and 'S' (and other) omnipods.

* Regarding the torsos, left 'D' and right 'Prime' allow for more yaw speed - their opposites allow for more yaw angle.

* The 'S' legs, each one nerfs turn speed a tiny bit.

So...

I've been testing the difference between 2 JJs on the Fox, ala....... 2 'S' torsos, or 1 'S' leg...

I've also been comparing it to 3 JJs, ala......... 1 'S' torso, and 1 'S' leg.

As far as the quirk difference, my logic originally was to use the 'S' torsos, but now I'm considering using just 1 'S' leg because the extra yaw angle from other Torsos is great. I'm not so sure about the yaw speed Torsos, cuz I'm not playing on a superbeast machine... so if anything, it might just make the game a tiny bit choppier/less FPS if I'm swinging screen around even faster than I currently am. Not only that, but I'm not exactly gonna be fighting lights in a circle of death... I'd just use the extra angle for difficult snipe shots for the armed ERPPC. It's gonna boil down to the yaw angle being justified, if so then that leaves open 3 or 2 JJ builds for the other 'S' torso and/or 'S' leg. If the Yaw angle isn't justified, then it's simply 2 JJ's for both torsos, and use non 'S' legs to avoid the debuff quirk there.

Still don't have speed tweak so the final testing regarding all of this will be determined by whether or not speed tweak will justify using only 2 JJs.

JJ testing involved jumping up onto buildings in River City from a sitting position, and also jumping onto the middle building from the water. Both 2 JJs and 3 JJs allowed for me to reach all buildings and jump objectives without failing once. But JJs are not only for mobility, they're also for tarting. Will the 3rd one help regarding that (think more clearance, and more airtime means more stability means more time to make clean shot)? More testing to check later on after finishing Elite unlocks.

8. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

The most important issue currently is whether or not the pair of CERSLasers is justifiable. The only way I see them as being justified is to use at least the one tier 5 module that boosts their range. Otherwise, the mech is not supposed to be within 400 meters constantly staring with lasers, even against other lights... so... thus... besides the cute derpy factor and easy heat management under the PPC cadence, I fail to see why the fuck I would take a sniff at this wep pair in a match that even remotely has an air of seriousness to it.

So it brings up the question of... wheres the tonnage and extra heat mgmt gonna come from as it relates to bumping that pair to CERMLs? Will elite unlocks help keep it just cool enough? Will I consider removing the TC1? Will it require only using 2 JJs?

^ Already have taken a look at 1 CERML with a Tag that avoids the heat issue entirely, but haven't critically looked at Tag at all so that's still very ethereal as a concept, but on paper sounds like an easy shift.

Final caveat in everything is whether or not loading AMS on this would be a legit survivability increase, or just an exercise in mitigating retard LRMboats. Do they even still exist? I'm a light with ECM... whats the point besides umbrellaing shitters against even shittier LRMboats? Still, to consider it... (cuz SRM lights or SRM alpha brawlers).

More news @ 11...

9. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

I think the Quirk buff/debuff applies to the whole mech, not just weapons equipped on a certain arm.
    AMS needs more than half ton ammo to be effective. But that said 3x AMS does provide a good shield, even against SSRM.
    1x JJ would work already in some cases, like striding over small obstacles and up ledges.

I would say this, if you want close range mop up, but the C arm is not out yet. (not buying mech with cash)

This if you want to stay far most of the time and provide AMS cover.

Personally I think TC is only good if you use laser as your major weapon rather than cERPPC. I would rather go for another DHS, or some sub weapons. 1 ton can get you pair of cMG with half a ton of ammo.

10. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

Quirks - yeah they do, but I dunno what that has to do with what I'm talkin about.

JJs - 1 is not enough; I'm tarting and using it for next-level mobility that most of the average fruitcakes you see don't understand. Striding is for metrosexual scrubs. I need JJs to annihilate anyone and everything.

AMS - again, for my own actual use would be there to mitigate light or brawler burst DPS as I dip out. Don't exactly need a ton of ammo for that, in a proper round with solid positioning it wouldn't even be used at all. The question I'm really gonna answer for myself is whether or not umbrellaing teammates makes it worth it, which I doubt since most are complete scrublets.

PS - C arm is out bro... I've been using it every round since I've returned (cost 150k). That mech would run too hot for me to crutch snipe whoring with, and the MGs are more a liability than an asset (to my style).

The Verge likes this.
  11. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

Actual question being asked here:

Do quirks stack? For example, 'S' leg gives -5% turn rate.

If I used BOTH 'S' legs, and I gonna be facing -10% turn rate?

For another example....

'Prime' left torso gives +5% yaw turn angle. 'D' right torso gives +5% yaw turn angle.

Using both, I'll get an extra 10% right? It's not gonna be just 5%, right?

12. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

Is talking about the Config C Left Arm, the one with 1E2B.

My quirk comment is replying into this.
    And it is an interesting view on the AMS. You are right about the umbrellaing part though. You are already soing the ECM for them, and AMS protection may not worth it when it coems to your style. Still, interesting thing to try out. In that case, I suggest you to turn the AMS OFF, and turn it on when you think you might need it.

If you don't like the MG then yes more DHS, and maybe another JJ or so. Would help you jump snipe, but penalty for turn is a bitch.

Soy likes this.
  13. The Verge

I do believe they stack, as that is my current understanding.

Soy likes this.
  14. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

Yes they stack, Hence only use one leg max, and the reason I don't use the JJ legs.
    Yes you can get +10% angle with those.

On the side note, you get super penalty from those Direwhale energy arms if you use two, same goes for those missile cooldown penalty from the Timberwolf.

15. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

Ahh I got you... so PPC doesn't have to be in the Left just cuz the other one is 'C' arm...

I was thinkin that debuff was applyin to right hand only for some reason, which wouldn't even make any sense when you filter it thru how the game aims and shit unless for some reason you didn't mind horrendous firing conversion... xD

As far as forgetting the TC1, I will be testing that as well. But they weren't in the game when I played, so I'm trying it out as early as possible and as I go thru mechs and stuff I'll have enough anecdotal evidence of my own to make reasoning about it or not. My early thoughts are that the only one worth it is the small one.

16. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

When I talk about flexibility for having fun on just 1 chassis, stuff like this:

17. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

Sorry, this entire thread is Soy figuring out what omnipods/equip to put on a ERPPC, 2SLas KFX?

Joe Bopper likes this.
  18. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

Thats what I gather

19. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

No, it's not about those 2 weps - I simply tried out that weapon combo for a day.

I'm just having fun experimenting with something novel while getting the feel for the game again, current meta, and whether or not to even stick around.

I've not played with anyone since I've been back so this is basically self-reference, only desposited on the interwebz...

20. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

group queue is completely different fyi