COM-2D "Butt-kicker" (3x SRM2, 1x MPLas,ECM, XL195)

Thread in 'COM-2D' started by Maurox, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Maurox

Maurox Well-Known Member

This basically replaces this build's 2xSRM4 for 3xSRM2, which basically is a SRM6 that fires a lot faster and with a lot less spread. It's hotter, but max DPS is higher. It also carries more ammo, so it gives you more room to miss and to be useful in longer matches.

For most of the match, your mission is simply to provide ECM cover. Stick to your main group, and when they push, you push with them. That's when you run for the assaults backs and start kicking. It also terrorizes Clan lights.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    lord_auriel likes this.
  2. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

I also prefer this over the solid snake. It rocks.

PS: I will vote for 5/5 because every aspect of this is logical IMHO and works for what it is. Chain firing those SRM2 works well, ammo is good, the MPLas is optimal too. It's my standard build for the 2D.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  3. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Looks pretty strong indeed. Easy switch from the Solid Snake for testing purposes included. Will report back!

4. Briz

Briz Junior Member

Good build but I see a couple cons.
    The SRM2 in the CT is poor. It doesn't aim with the arms so you'll have either to lock the arms or micro as separate weapon groups the arms and CT SRM2s defeating greatly the point of downgrading to SRM2s; precision and to be honest the point of playing commando at all ... the arms.
    The XL 190 is lackluster, 2D is already on the slow side of things with a 210 but 190 roots it at scort duty, scorting is nice and all but being able to adapt and run amock early when conditions demand is good also.
    Lack of ferro, I know it can't be helped in your build but you still miss on that little extra payload.
    All in all this is a compromise, tomorrow I'll try this tweak on yours, or rather Butt kicker mates with Solid Snake:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Bro, do you even link?

6. Briz

Briz Junior Member

I was trying but had technical dificulties :p

Fixed now.

7. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

but this change also introduces different firing cycles and less available ammo...

I really don't think that ECM on a light is *that* valuable, so I also run a COM-3A with 2 SRM4 and 2 med lasers, and a 200Xl engine. Speed is not always that important imho... the most important feature of those commandos is the insane turn rate and cornering speed. I really prefer smaller engines on mechs with such dramatic tonnage restrictions

Whatever, so if i run my 2D I want to stick with the group and provide ECM umbrella, and when the fight starts I jump in when the enemies are distracted.

None of that is "scouting" - imho that's not what the 2d is built for

Maurox likes this.
  8. Briz

Briz Junior Member

Yes there are two cons to the variant I posted.
    The different cooldowns (2s for SRM2, 3s for SRM4) are a problem I agree; but the first strike on a target will be an SRM6, the second would be the equivalent to chain fired SRM2+SRM4 and only the third round would be greatly desynced, 3 SRM rounds on a the same target with a commando are not common so yes I agree with your point, but it is relatively small.
    And also the disparity in weapons; 3 different weapon systems is worst than just two in terms of weapon modules. The original build in this thread can for example equip CD mod for SRM2s and range for MPLas, while my variant has to leave something unimproved, I'd sugest SRM4 CD + MPLas Range to bridge the gap between SRM2s and SRM4s CD.

9. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

yeah it really boils down to a common denominator, namely personal preference!
    I'm gonna run your version and get a feel for it (I call it "Solid Kicker" :)

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast