1. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

Casual CPLT-C4 "Raindancer" (2xMRM30, 2xML, 2xRL15, LE275)

Discussion in 'CPLT-C4' started by Archwright, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Archwright

Archwright Benefactor

This is a build that I sort of fell into. I figured MRM30s are reasonable weapons for a 60-tonner, and that the RL15s are the perfect "screw you" weapon when someone's over-extended. I originally ran it with a STD engine, but it was too slow. It's also not worth running once you've lost both your ears, so the STD engine is sort of wasted.

This build inspired me to use Light Ferro for the last bit of extra armor.

2. ThomasAH

ThomasAH New Member

I suggest using an LE280, because it has the same weight.

A similar build works quite well for me for some time now:

Using MRM40+MRM20 saves one ton compared to two MRM30 and only has minimal ghost heat. Firing only the MRM40 yields a slightly better damage per heat. Having them in only one ear allows using the other side as a shield.
    The single RL10 in the other ear makes sure the enemy does not know where all your rockets launchers are by opening both missile doors, and may act as a "Ha-ha, I still have rockets!" after losing the good ear first.

Of course you could use an LE280 instead of the LE285 I use, drop the RL10, and move the MRM20 to the other side, but hey, that's boring ;)

3. rinco

rinco Active Member

You didn't mention any of the drawbacks from using MRM40+MRM20:
    • Different cooldown periods. The MRM40 has 4.75 second cooldown while all the other MRMs have 4.30.
    • Tube slot difference. The MRM40 will take longer to fire because the 'pult only has max 20 missile slots on any hard point.

3xMRM20 might be better for cooldown consistency and tighter spread. Sure it weighs an extra ton. But that weight can be saved by dropping the rocket launchers. RL seems out of place on a mech with MRMs and a decent missile cooldown quirk...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. ThomasAH

ThomasAH New Member

I can't see any difference in the MRM40 vs. MRM20 in regards to how fast they are launched, so the tube count either does not matter, because they are streaming instead of launching all at once, or even 10 missile slots are enough to fire an MRM40 at full speed (see my IV-Four "IV-4tyTwenty" build).

Edit: Oops, my reply to the cooldown got lost somehow, new try:
    Yes, the cooldowns are slightly different, but not enough to be a problem for me. If I have to fire so often that it would matter, I would either switch to firing just the MRM40 anyway, or would alternate between both to avoid the ghost heat.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. rinco

rinco Active Member

The animation does seem to suggest the tube count doesn't matter. Then again the animation looks the same no matter how many missiles you fire. A quick google suggests the jury is still out on this one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. ThomasAH

ThomasAH New Member

I based my conclusion on the animation (which may be wrong) and the start of the cooldown period (where I assume, but do not know for sure, would only start after the last missile has been fired).

The AWS-PB has only 4 missile tubes per launcher in the arm, here this should be noticeable :)

7. Archwright

Archwright Benefactor

The choice of an LE275 was intentional. A number of classic machines (specifically the hunchback and centurion) cap out at 275. I'm a cheapskate, so I purchased the more common engine. It is a better use of tonnage to use a LE280, but it was not a better use of my playtime to spend several million on an engine.

On the topic of 2xMRM30 vs MRM40+MRM20, I see your point. Part of me just can't handle the asymmetry, but that's not so important. Another part of me wants to be able to peek/push effectively from either side. To each their own.

As a side note the 2xRL15 is in a single fire group. If I'm about to lose an ear, or if my other weapons are on cooldown (and I have a perfect shot), I use them then. I cannot begin to tell you how timid enemy Nova Cats and Night Gyrs become when they take a 60 dmg rocket salvo to the chest.