CPLT-K2 "Disarmed Harm" (2x PPC, 2x AC5, XL300)

Thread in 'CPLT-K2' started by The Verge, Aug 11, 2013.

1. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Changed to fit more of a sniper build, and the tweeks given by many, I have modded the build as such.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Nice, though I would probably drop those SLas. Not going to do much with them anyways. Throw in a DHS for those saved tonnage.

3. DarkLobster

DarkLobster Well-Known Member

I like the idea here. I've tried something similar on my CTF-3D and it worked well. I'm with the others on dropping the small lasers though. Maybe take your second variant, drop the smalls and upgrade to an XL280:

4. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Almost exactly how I build it. Now I will have to test it, probably some tweaks between armor, ammo and engine size. DHS should be enough at 12.

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

None of you mentionned the most important about this build: PPCs and autocanons on this mech look badass! Yep, that's the main reason why I pilot this build.
    Another is that the AC/5 is very cool, so you can constantly fire even when the PPCs got you in the red.

Your build can be optimized to fit a 300XL at the cost of 6 armor points, by upgrading the armor and place the DHS in the engine:

But I think it's too hot, and did not pack enough ammo. So I run mine with a smaller engine, but one more DHS and ammo ton.

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Last days I played this mech (my personal XL255 variant) again.
    With a better synchronisation between the 2 weapon systems (to make it short: I alpha-strike much more than before) I had great success.
    I find it's a good defensive build. Its pinpoint alpha of 30dmg usually makes the enemy think twice before pushing a ridge. In a more offensive situation it has neither the impressive DPS, neither the armor to be in front line, but it's a good support and/or flanker (though my version is slower). Anyway, it really shines at mid range, 400~500m (it's not really a sniper) and the best way to fire is alpha, then 2 or 3 AC shots if the enemy stays in line of sight. And alpha again, and AC follow up, etc.
    ACs DPS is 33% higher than the PPCs, so don't forget to fire between PPC shots. But in the other hand don't overcommit in order to fire the ACs: being patient and playing on the psychological factor of high alpha is most of the time efficient, even though you're not at full PDS.
    Careful, AC/5's projectile moves slightly slower than the PPC's, so don't alpha on fast moving targets.
    Also be aware of its weakness against light mechs: PPCs are useless most of the time because of the minimum range, and the ACs are in the torso, making it impossible to hit a bug that harass you on mountain terrain.

Little video of a "good average match":

(yep, I listen to Bach in my mech :cool: )

7. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I gave it 4 stars too. I don't think it's the best K2 you can do, but it's fun to play and deals more than its share of damage.
    And it looks impressive with its four canons.

8. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

The CT and Head get hit far too often for me to feel comfortable loading ammo in those locations. You are just asking for an ammo explosion from a crit once your armor is gone. Sure, you are probably a goner at that point anyway, but why make it even easier? So I swapped to an XL255, moved that ammo, and added AMS.

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Have you also tried the "Rifle-Cat" Build (based on the Rifleman) ?

10. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

It's funny how PPC+AC5 has come to fill the Gauss' shoes. More max DPS when you can afford the heat to fire PPC(s), more ballistic only DPS when you can't, no 0.75s charge up. The only problem I see with this build is a Firebrand arguably does it better. An extra module slot lets you bring a cool shot if you're the type to pay $40k for one more PPC salvo, the ballistics on arms mean an MG locust isn't your worst nightmare, and the slightly more advantageous hardpoint elevation means it's a better hill humper. I'm not sure I'd trade those three things for a little convergence boost.

At any rate, here's my take. Haven't mastered the K2 yet, so I can't say how it plays with the second module slot (for which I like Target Decay, aka wallhax)

11. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Except for the light harassment situation (which indeed is a pain in this mech), I prefer the catapult over the jagermech. Mostly because the damage repartition is better, and running an XL engine much more safer.

12. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

Safe to run an XL... because all anyone will ever hit is CT and Cockpit ><

[​IMG]

Though people seem to know to blow a Jager's side first and check for XL if the speed and weaponry don't already indicate it. Worst case scenario, the mech is neutered.

Couple new alternates, with the XL255 for a bit more mobility. First has a one decoy arm, one shield arm full of DHS o.0. Second has 2 gimpy arms full of heat sinks.

13. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

My variant of this build. I'd drop down to an XL280 only when Speed Tweak is unlocked.

Solahma likes this.
  14. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Where do you get these pictures?
    I have seen these here before.
    Should get whoever that is making these to come here, we maintain a thread for him and pin it up top. Really useful.

15. epikt

epikt Benefactor

16. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

NEVER put ammo in the CT in any mech, especially a Cat. one crack in the armor and every shot you taken will potentially end you

17. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

This meck is getting a 20% velocity quirk for the PPC which will line up almost perfectly with the AC5. This build, or some variation, will become quite good on the catapult.

18. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

And....now my K2 finally switched from 2ac20 or 2 gauss/2ml into some form of quirk-compliant 2ppc/2ac5. Thanks for getting this thread to the top, Sol :thumbsup:

19. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I confirm.
    It's been a while I hadn't drop in this mech, I took it for a run and it works very nicely with the PPC quirks.
    (except for the "out of AC ammo and getting gang-raped at close range" part :oops: )

20. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

This build is still viable.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast