CTF-1X Power Hitter (4x PPC, XL280)

Thread in 'CTF-1X' started by LordCreampuff, May 24, 2013.

1. LordCreampuff

LordCreampuff New Member

This mech has a strong 40pt alpha but you need to be careful of getting too close, especially against fast lights. When you start getting hot, which you can in a short period of time, you can switch to chain fire and keep the heat under control.

But if you have some fire control and good aim you can blow parts off most mediums and drop most lights in one shot.

If you don't like the PPC minimum you can swap a LPL for a PPC ton for ton and almost identical heat or a normal LL but you will waste some tonnage. If you dump the PPC in the right arm you free up 7 tons and 2 energy slots to play with while keeping a triple-PPC alpha.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Interesting take on 4 PPCs, don't think I've seen too many put them on a heavy. The minimum range really worries me, though.

3. highwind

highwind New Member

I was looking for something to "troll around" a little today and rebuilt the "Power Hitter" in my existing (and mastered) CTF-1X... after spending some minutes on childish giggles caused by the "one-click-shutdown" when firing all 4 PPCs together, I tried playing it a little more serouisly and I have to say that this built works much better than I expected and could very well be the best 1X built for my playstyle.

Some tipps after ~20 drops this afternoon:
    - having left torso + left arm grouped on left mouse button and right torso + right arm on right mouse button makes fire/heat control very intuitive... I didnt go chainfire at all (as OP proposed) and just kept firing only one side when getting too hot (hiding the other behind obstacles if possible) to ensure that atleast 20 damage hit on the same spot each time
    - playstyle is very much "peek-a-boo" and obviously works best on detracted enemys on mid range => get out of cover, shot 2x2 or if possible 4x2, get back into cover, cool down
    - dont even think about changing the PPCs to ErPPCs for long range sniping (I tried that and it is in no way manageable heat-wise, not even on cold maps)
    - consequently I didnt feel the need for advanced zoom module...Radar deprivation is invaluable due to the "peek-a-boo"-style while seismic sensor or target info gathering are solid second choices depending on situation/playstyle
    - you obviously also want a Coolshot and for weapon module I think both the ranged and the cooldown weapon modules (unfortunately I dont have either) are worth it, the latter not for DPS but for reducing the time you have to expose yourself to get out 4x2 shots
    - it isnt very high on "damage done" (normal games come in at around 400 damage, with good game usually staying under 700) but it gets good amounts of killshots in comparison

While XL280 and standard structure is a good enough pick for newer/budget players, mainly focusing on mastering the 'phracts (getting the former from the 3D while not having to pay extra for the latter), I think the most optimal way is sacrifying a little leg armor as well as one heatsink, upgrade to Endo and then go with a XL325

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast