DRG-1N Softener (2x AC5, 2x LRM5, 2x MLas, XL300)

Thread in 'DRG-1N' started by DarkLobster, Jun 27, 2013.

1. DarkLobster

DarkLobster Well-Known Member

I really like Dragons in general and the 1C and 5N in particular, but haven't found anything that I really want to stick with on the 1N. Been toying with different loadouts and came up with this, which I've had some success in.

It uses all the hardpoints, which I guess is a plus, and takes advantage of the 2 missile hardpoints in the CT to mount 2 x LRM5s, something that the other DRG variants can't do. Saves you a ton and the missiles still fire in one volley.

This build doesn't put in the big hits, but what it can do is keep up a good rate of sustained fire at range with the AC5s and LRMs, so it makes a good support mech to soften up the enemy for your team. Also, while the LRMs don't do a lot of damage, they are handy for making the enemy run for cover because they don't know if they're getting hit with 5 missiles or 50. I haven't tried this, but you could try chain-firing them to keep the ROF up and use them for suppression fire.

It could probably use some further optimization. The 11 DHS give you pretty decent cooling, so you could potentially drop a DHS + 0.5 tons armour and mount AMS or a BAP for ranged spotting. You could also mount a Gauss in place of the the AC5s if you prefer, but I like the ROF on the ACs.

Am I in love with the build? No, but it has breathed a bit of new life into the 1N for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Roachbugg

Roachbugg New Member

I've always preferred to use the dragon as a hit in run mech id swap the lerms for two srm 4s it always worked for me and usually nets me 500-700 damage a match. The thing about the dragon is no one see it as a threat so if they are engaged with something else you will usually get ignored.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast