DRG-1N Wyvern (2x LPLas, 2x SRM4, 2x MG, AMS, XL325)

Thread in 'DRG-1N' started by DarkLobster, Jul 16, 2013.

1. DarkLobster

DarkLobster Well-Known Member

SRMs have just been buffed, and MGs have been buffed a couple of times since some of the builds in this category were published. So I thought I'd try and make something that put both of these weapons to use. Ended up with this. (Also, LPLasers have been buffed recently as well, now that I think about it).

This build is intended to play as a fast striker. The LPLasers and SRMs strip armour pretty fast, and the SRMs and MGs together shred internals. It's fast enough to get into good positions for flanking, and is able to hunt lights reasonably well. Heat efficiency looks reasonably good, but is slightly misleading with the LPLasers. Switching them to chain-fire when your heat gets high helps.

There's room for a little tweaking with one free slot. You could drop a DHS from the engine or some SRM ammo to add another ton of MG ammo or max armour if you feel the need. I usually lose the MG arm long before I get anywhere close to running out of ammo though.

It's pretty similar to Skribs' Southpaw, but optimised for close combat/fast striking.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I've seen you run this build and it's interesting to watch.

pepperdoggy likes this.
  3. DarkLobster

Thanks Archwright, it's the most fun I've had on the 1N (and probably the most success as well). I like that it plays differently to the builds I have on my other Dragons (1C: Pepperdoggy Special, 5N: Triple AC2). Prior to this I mostly played builds on the 1N that could also be built on other Dragon variants, so I also like the fact that this is 1N-specific.

4. pepperdoggy

pepperdoggy Junior Member

This looks interesting. I am surely going to try this out. I have just become more familiar with SRMs lately as they were often times neglected on my part in the past. I like the one two punch on this thing... Pulses followed up with an 8 shot and sandpaper. Not even my 1C carried SRMs in the past (except on a few occasions).

5. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I'm certainly biased, but the dual SRM4 feels like the sweet spot for SRMs.

6. DarkLobster

As a fan of the "Pepperdoggy Special" I'd be interested to hear how you go, Pepper.

I have to confess that while the OP represents the "optimised" version of the build, I've actually been running this:

I couldn't afford a 325XL when I built it, and also didn't want to get FF in case I changed my mind. I suppose now that I have a 325XL and have been enjoying the build I should make the change. On the other hand, the extra HS is kind of handy - those LPLasers sure get hot fast!

It's certainly a viable alternative to the OP if you're like me and don't want to get FF when you're trying it out, or if you have a 320 lying around rather than a 325.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  7. pepperdoggy

pepperdoggy Junior Member

So far I have been getting the hang of this layout. The simple weapons grouping is proving to be nice to play, with practice. I have since built a Battlemaster using a similar layout with the only real difference (apart from the speed and weight class) being the added medium lasers and just more SRMs. I have a post on that if you are interested.

These days I am really enjoying the LLasers in tandem. I somehow also never realized how effective this weapon was as I was such a gauss rifle whore till the firing mode changed its characteristics. Your speed is nice and I think it is a real advantage for those larger maps and helping to get this mech into position quickly. I feel like buying another variant just to keep this loadout permanently... And well, to also give me another excuse to add one more Dragon to the collection with new camo. ;)

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast