[FEEDBACK] MWO Timeline Jump - The Civil War

Discussion in 'Feedback on Sales, Patches, Promotions' started by Excalibaard, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

2. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

IS SSRM4 and SSRM6 are very welcome. I am very excited for pretty much all of the technologies here, or at the very least ambivalent.

1) IS getting the equivalent of most clan tech (in terms of UAC2/10/20, LBX2/5/20, SSRM4/6, and TC) is very welcome. Wonder what that will do to command consoles.
    2) MRMs should make some of those 1-off missile slots on assaults better.
    3) Snub-nose PPCs or Light PPCs should make it nice for Mechs with CT energy slots.
    4) Heavy Machine Guns sound fun for crit-seeking, and will probably be found on my Arrow and my KCG builds, but I'm not sure LMGs will see much use outside of maybe a light Mech.
    5) Light and Heavy Gauss I'm not sure of. Heavy Gauss to me sounds like it will be harder to hit with, and Light Gauss won't be as effective when you do hit with it, assuming they share the current Gauss mechanics.
    6) I wonder if Rotary ACs will largely replace the current dakka builds, or if they'll just make it worse (imagine a 6x RAC2 Mech).
    7) Rockets could be interesting on lights with a few missile hardpoints, but I can just imagine a troll Oxide with 4x R20.
    8) Light Engines seem like a nice third option.
    9) Light Ferro-Fibrous sounds like it should be called Heavy Ferro-Fibrous if it weighs more than normal ferro armor.
    10) Stealth Armor seems to add an interesting option for ECM Mechs. Curious to see all the tradeoffs.
    11) Laser AMS would be nice for some Mechs, but I'm not sure if I want things that will generate heat automatically on my Mechs.

As far as clan goes, I'm curious to see the balance of ATMs (if they'll replace LRMs or SRMs or be kind of in the middle, how they'll track, etc). Heavy lasers look very fun, micro pulse might be interesting on Novas and Stormcrows, and Light Probe might be useful for LRM mechs.

3. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

Very excited myself, new weapons will spark my interest again, it creates for a lot more playstyles and weapon combinations!

Most excited about the MRM and 2-slot PPCs myself. Maybe even the SDR-5V could become useful! MRM's due to their huge launcher size probably will replace LRMs in many builds, as in the current system their engagement ranges are similar. There's not enough certainty to be able to use the range of LRMs to their fullest extent. The ATM seems like a great all-purpose launcher, though limited in the volley size thus dmg-per-salvo to balance the versatility. I suspect it'll be great in PUGs where you might need LRMs or SRMs depending on situation and you don't have a dropdeck to compensate.

I hope Light Engines aren't too good. The reduced side-crit slots make it almost as good as the STD engine in terms of survivability in all mechs except super effective zombies (though yes of course there are efficiency downsides to losing a side, but if you lose weapons at the same time, it should be mostly mobility-based downsides). If they also lose a very proportional amount of weight, XL may become redundant.

Rocket Launchers seem like a good way to fill up otherwise unused missile slots as it will provide some extra burst early game or unexpected finishing damage. Could replace/support backup lasers on certain mechs with missile slots left unused.

Stealth Armor is a bit enigmatic to me in terms of what it's going to do. ECM already blocks being targeted unless TAG/NARC/other ECM comes near. Will this completely remove those possibilities and make ECM a nightmare for mechs bringing weapons that must target? Or will it provide a heat-generating, worse ECM to mechs that normally don't have it, to make the ECM slot less valuable in determining the powerlevel of certain mech variants (RVN-3L)?

Nevertheless, very excited. If they now also make a skill system that actually improves things, that would be awesome!

4. Shock

Shock Benefactor

I'm excited for Shorter range PPCs, MRMs and Rotary autocannons. Possibly heavy machine guns too, because I think there's a big need for a low tonnage ballistic weapon between AC2s and regular MGs.

ATMs should be good depending on how they're implemented.

I think Rocket Launchers will be a lot of fun. Imagine an Archer 5W with 3xMRM20 and 6xRL20.

5. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

The way I read it was that it would only work on ECM mechs to provide greater protection while active, but at a cost.

6. Shock

Shock Benefactor

Looking at the math, Light engines are going to be a clear upgrade over Endo Steel in almost all cases. An Atlas would just about break even with a 300 engine rating. It would take a decent sized mech with a smallish engine for Endo Steel to be superior.

7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the point of view. "Light" definitely means here less Critical Slots used up, also less Weight saved than Standard Ferro-Fibrous Armor - it was an attempt of the IS to mimic the Clan FF Armor (also costs 7 slots).

Light Ferro-Fibrous armor was developed by the Inner Sphere for use on BattleMechs and combat vehicles. It was first put into production in 3067. In their attempt to mimic Clan Ferro-Fibrous armor, Free Worlds League scientists were able to reduce the amount of space that Light Ferro-Fibrous takes up to match that of the Clans, but the cost was reduced protection.

In game terms, Light Ferro-Fibrous takes up seven critical slots in a BattleMech or one slot in a combat vehicle. The amount of armor points is increased by six percent when compared to standard armor.

8. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

So, I think the clear question on my mind - probably the most important question anyone can have about the new system:

What color will micro-lasers be?

9. Shock

Shock Benefactor

They screwed themselves by making medium lasers different between IS and Clan. All large lasers are blue. All small lasers are red. Why green AND yellow for medium lasers? So now, they have to do something like purple or pink. Or maybe orange?

Excalibaard likes this.
  10. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

There's also white. But I have to agree with you on medium lasers.

I've watched a few videos, and I've come up with some ideas on how I might build things (assuming the new post is accurate):

1. Lights like the Spider 5K or the equivalent Locust would be interesting with a snub-PPC and 4x MG (maybe HMG, depending on if there's a weight difference). It might take a bit smaller engine to run it, but overall it could work. The snub-PPC also gives brawlers an instant-damage option that should be more heat-appropriate for brawling. Combined with engine decoupling, an Atlas 7S might get enough weight savings to do 1 or a couple snub-PPCs in addition to SRM4s and the AC20, or even a LBX10. This could really change how energy hardpoints work for brawlers.
    2. LMGs might actually be the more useful one for heavies and assaults, because of their greater range. It would complement my 2x LBX10, 4x MG, 2x LPL King Crab build, for example, if the MGs had more reach in line with what the LBX is capable of.
    3. Dual-AMS Mechs may benefit from having both an ammo-based AMS and a laser-based AMS, so you're not ammo-locked on AMS but you're not generating too much heat. Similar to how you may mix SRMs or autocannons with lasers to balance out ammo and heat requirements.
    4. Light Gauss will probably benefit more from it's weight than from longer range and higher ballistic velocity, as it can be mounted on lights and mediums easier. It may also be easier to boat if it uses less slots.
    5. I think the Stalkers would be capable of running triple MRM40s. I don't think quad 40s is in the realm of possibility unless we get something bigger with a missile hardpoint on each arm and each side torso. However, triple MRM40s would be 120 alpha on their own, and that's not including energy weapons. We'll have to see how these are balanced.

Edit to add:

I'm curious about how the numbers and mechanics will work out. Specifically:
    • Will LGR and HGR have the same charge mechanic as GR? Will they be on a shared limitation or can you do 2x HGR at the same time as 2x GR?
    • I think micro-lasers and micro-pulse will be similar to IS SL and SPL, in that they will only be used for very niche purposes or on 120 kph+ Mechs.
    • Will HMG and LMG have different weights to them?
    • What is the range drop-off for snub-PPCs? Is it usable at 200m? 300m? 400m? Similar question for the Light Tag. Are we talking 100m less, or are we talking half the range?
    • How will MRMs be balanced? I'm guessing a stream-fire that is longer than the clan LRMs.
    • Will they figure out a way to make it so that SSRM2s are more "accurate" than SSRM4s, and those to 6s? As it stands, the more SSRMs, the more likely you are to hit what you are aiming for, which is contrary to how LRMs* and SRMs work. *Assuming AMS isn't present.
    • Will IS UAC10 and UAC20 have IS ballistic mechanics? An Ultra-40 KGC would be capable of 80 damage near-instant pinpoint alphas in that case.
    I have a few more. I'm very excited for this announcement, if for nothing else than SSRM4 and SSRM6, because it's desperately needed.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Aylek likes this.