Flame C20 (1x AC20, 4x MLas, STD280)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'Flame' started by skribs, Mar 24, 2013.

1. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Updated version, which I have updated to the primary version as it fits the dragon much better. This is a combination of sacrificing AMS and 1 ton of ammo, and temporarily removing 1 DHS to get enough slots for FF armor, upgrade the engine to a 280, and put the DHS back on, in the engine. I really like this because I have FF armor so I can fit a bigger engine (in this case, a 350 XL) on my Blue Flame build, so now it's easy to go back and forth between the builds.

I was thinking about how the Flame is the only dragon model with the ballistic slot in the torso instead of the arm, and I realized that if I threw in a STD engine, I could fit an AC/20 in there. My damage so far isn't as high as my laser boat or brawler builds, but I am consistently getting a lot more kills. That AC/20 isn't very kind to my enemies, and the 4 MLs double my alpha. Nice balance of weight and heat there.

The biggest issue with this particular build is that it is slow for a dragon. I am used to 300 XL engines, and that's much slower than both of my unit members who are also dragon aficionados (one runs 325 XLs, the other 350-360 XL, and I think we have another pilot who runs 340 XLs in his). Even so, I'm really liking this build.

Update: Added this video. It's my first, but it was fun making it. Actually the first time I got FRAPs working I got lucky with a good run!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

I love this build! :D

it's indeed very slow, but fights take long enough to get close for your AC20 eventually, and the AMS helps against the pesky LRMs.
    If you take the time to practice a bit with the AC20, this deals monstrous damage. Did a total of around 800 damage in a caustic valley match, the PUG didn't know what hit them :)

3. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

In all honesty, an XL engine with Gauss would probably be better overall. More speed, close to the same damage, and the ammo scales better per ton. However, I can play with Gauss rifles in other Dragons (albeit on the arm). I wanted an AC/20.

4. Excalibaard

That's true, but I don't like how fragile the gauss is. it bereaks down from a feather, while the AC20 can actually still be used when your internals are being attacked. I like the durable build a lot better, I'll play with gauss on my hunchie, whose sidetorso will be focused so hard it doesn't matter which of the two you're carrying.

5. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Fair point. Although if your side torso's getting hit hard enough to take out the gauss, the AC/20 isn't too long after.

I had a run last night with this build where my HUD died on me about 10 seconds in. I used the medium lasers to point and then fired the AC/20. Still got like 2-3 kills and did 400 damage. Most fun build I've played in a while.

6. Excalibaard

However, the gauss exploding deals 20 damage, once the gauss is killied, your entire torso goes up in flames taking the XL with it. Running STD with this AC 20 makes me able to run matches even if my side torso loses armor and maybe even the AC20 is destroyed.

Still digging this build so much.
    Did 940 damage last match (it's a PUG, but I don't have any friends so it's all I play xD)!! New personal record !
    [​IMG]

It's like running my founders hunchie (still bad choice) but the side torso being focused less and overall sturdier

7. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

I threw an AC/20 in my Flame yesterday, only ran a couple matches with it and I haven't made a decision yet about keeping it. The damage output is great but the lower speed makes me question it overall. It won't be a true test until I get a chance to run it in at least ten consecutive matches, I'll do this on Monday.

'Seven, if you see Zer0 or I online or in game just let us know and we'll get you into some 4 man drops etc...

Myth.

8. Excalibaard

I'll add zero as well, I just never see you online! Timezones are not my friend. I should probably start living further into the night.

9. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I've thought a lot about going Gauss instead and putting the XL back in, but my Fang runs with a Gauss, so it's nice to swap back and forth. This is one of the few builds that breaks the rules but actually works.

10. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Gameplay video posted.

11. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

After running it about six times I reverted it back to something similiar to the original LB10-X build I have posted. I will post the new build as an Alt Config tomorrow.
    I ran your build with a Standard 270 engine and went without the AMS. (As you know I like to move fast) I expected that the Standard engine would make this 'mech more survivable then my normal build because of the engine type; I was DEAD wrong. As soon as people realized that I was sporting an AC/20 the focus fire of all nearby enemy 'mechs quickly eliminated me. I have decide to use an AC/20 in the 'mechs that were designed for it like the Yen Lo and Hunchie. If it works for your playstyle that is fantastic, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Mythweaver

Post Script: My FLAME does 106KPH again...Speed is life!

12. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

And 20 damage to the face quickly means death ;)

13. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

The sad thing is that my favorite Hunchback build has almost as much firepower, but moves faster.

14. mizarpanzer

mizarpanzer New Member

This is a very solid build. In comparison with the hunch it does not have a hunch.

Also personally I would drop 1-2 ton of ammo for a bit more speed.

15. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

I agree it is slow :whacko: I wish it is faster but great because of the AC/20 supported by 4MLas

16. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

If you drop AMS and a ton of AC20 ammo, you save enough weight to upgrade to a STD 275 or 280 with FF armor.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  17. Lukoi

Lukoi New Member

Saw a similar build to this below but this is how I prefer to run this beast. Nicknamed the "Bush-Dragon" as it is very effective in the ambush and displace mindset. While it has the potential to run a bit hot with only 10DHS, I find that to be a non-issue. If you're displacing often enough, there is usually little in the way of heat problems and AC20 in brawling range usually discourages people from trying an extended brawl. 4xML sweeping the leg are usually enough to discourage lights once you've got your back to terrain or a little space to do the "back-pedal" boogie with them. Plus the occasional AC20 snapshot when they slow down to jink ALWAYS works for me.

When playing on a team, as opposed to Pugging, I will sometimes drop the AMS in favor of an internal to engine DHS and shave off 8pts of armor (most from the head) to squeeze in a fifth ton of ammo.

I find this to be the most effective version of the classic AC20 Flame for my playstyle.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  18. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

You could strip out 8 points of armor and fit CASE into the RT and protect your CT from ammo explosions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you suffer an ammo explosion in the RA, it will propagate through the RT and into the CT.

19. Lukoi

Lukoi New Member

Sorry just realized that I left the ammo in the arm because it was easier to slide around on my phone. The four tons of ammo is actually in the legs on this Mech. Idont feel the risk of being legged is likely (never happened in fact) and would never keep ammo in the torsos if I can avoid it. Thanks for noting that though. 4tons of ammo in an arm does look kinda crazy eh?

20. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

CAN propagate. not guaranteed.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast