Haven't seen a 4 ERLL yet

Thread in 'Hellbringer' started by That Dawg, Mar 8, 2015.

1. That Dawg

That Dawg Well-Known Member

Tried running a simple, 4ERLL build. Looks lame on paper. Might ditch a heat sink for TC1
    But, wow, stay way back, poke, profit. Got speed tweak a few hours ago so I can relocate, like when they did a base rush and suddenly I'm looking at 6 red triangles, sorry stalker using my ecm..I gots to go!
    That head hardpoint has got to be my favorite thing about this mech next to ECM. I can't think of another mech you can just barely expose yourself and zap an ERLarge at someone
    left mouse head/right mouse torso chain, mouse 3 alpha, and out to a 100 meters will pull a leg off quite a few if they sit still for just a couple of seconds (pugs, it happens)
    I lose at least one arm per battle, often by some dingnut behind me..friendly fire..m'eh
    I think in the 5-6 battles I ran using this build I've stolen at LEAST 4 kills that I can honestly say were that...clean stolen, snatched from someone brawling while I was across the map...zoomed in, I chain the 3 torso erl's to stay cool, and then when my lock shows pink, I alpha and my glorious war horn tells it all.

Like I said, had I been thinking before going on a spending spree, I would have like to kept either the prime or the B, but honestly didn't think I'd like chassis. 22 battles, 26 kills, I only mastered it 4-5 battles ago.
    I'm >< close to spending real money on camo for this...and thats saying something

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  2. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

I hate cERLLas for 12man games unless it's group queue with a stated 'lets camp somewhere' themed drop deck. The beam duration, half second stagger to avoid ghost heat, damage per heat of the weapon, and the fact that cLPLas or cERMLas reach far already with significant facetime or tonnage savings just make the cERLLas second rate in some way in nearly every situation. It's just good at something you don't need - dominant hitscan damage at 650+ meters. All that said, the first build i tried with the HBR was 4 cERLLas, and it was a 17k xp round because I carried on a first win of the day during a double exp weekend. Basiced a mech in the first drop!

For CW, however, this can be a good value mech (one that you make last at the end of your deck, or to begin a long pokey assault/defense).

Motörhead and epikt like this.
  3. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I used to have one of mine set up as 4 ERLL...it can work, but they run damn hot, and that puts you at a disadvantage against a lot of mechs outside of CW...good for cbill farming though. I know JagerXII occasionally uses that setup in CW as well, so it's capable, but you have to be comfortable using sniper tactics. If you like to brawl, it's not going to work out well for you ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. That Dawg

My experience is different- I only run pugs, quit the multiman drops, quit the CW...
    so, that said: this build is not that good at certain times of day.
    I've also noticed what works typically at night, might not do well on weekends or early morning (I'm EST)
    I'm self employed so its not uncommon to grab a battle in the morning, mid day, night etc. Kids and social interfere, or visa versa... working 7 days a week has advantages, disadvantages...

that said mornings you must have a fast heavy/medium that can brawl, change positions fast. (exactly LIKE that 5MPL build-I switch over to that for mornings)
    Nights- in pugs, you can change over to something like this build I posted-take a position knowing at least half that team is timid and wants to peak, and early into the game, ONE will trot headlong into his death in a straight line to the enemy.
    I wont run Dires in the morning, but LOVE them over the weekends. I wont run lights in the evenings, but they can do well in the mornings/midday.
    Thats probably a topic for a whole nother thread, a whole nother day..."The Psychology of game play and what works during the three major parts of the day, Morning, afternoon, evening ....make that four...weekends"
    Exploiting the mindset of gamers is as important as the build itself.
    i.e. I have terrible luck in that 5uac dire build, but I have yet see anyone stand there and take it- spray 2-3 advancing like you're using a garden hose and they WILL slow down or stop or retreat.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

I mastered my hellbringers too this weekend, and I used the 28DHS TC2 6 ERML build and occasionally 4 ERML and a Gauss(I also had 4-5 games with 4ML and UAC20 where I really sucked), stats from basic to master, all solo drops :

[​IMG]

It's just that the hellbringer is a clan heavy, with ECM, it will do good with any build.

That said, I don't like usually don't like cERLL in normal matches, especially solo that I play the most, its damage is too spread over time and not efficient, very easy to shield against. And it's usually not in the optimal range to be in synergy with assaults/heavies/meds. I find the cERML range perfect to provide ECM coverage to the mechs that have 50 to 106 km/h speed, the others can live without it.

But I'm one of those who didn't run a single match with 4 ERLL, so I'm just basing my opinion on previous experiences of hating the weapon, but the high mounts and ECM might be a totally different story. Maybe I'll try one day.

Anyway If I had to run an 800+ meters build, I'd probably go dual ERPPC and the backup head ML, I like them much more.

(All those free slots are also the reason why I like the ERML build, give me endosteel !)

PS : This event was pretty amazing, 13 matches for a mastery, using the double XP !

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. That Dawg

hmm, gave me an idea

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    Motörhead likes this.
  7. enileph

enileph Star Lord

I use both 3x/4x cERLL builds.
    It is effective. That said, the 4x would rely more on 2 sets of double shots.
    I guess it is a personal preference thing. I always put one cERLL in the head though.

8. That Dawg

whups, I realized I posted this in the wrong section. Move if possible?
    I found this weekend EXCELLENT- like I said earlier I'd rather have kept the prime,but had no idea I'd be so fond of this mech. Should have started out with the A, finished with the Prime, but the center torso's during my initial exam seemed the same...anywho

ECM, in a heavy...NOW I do carry bap in everything, modified my loadouts in other mechs to comp for it. And still I see Hellbringers without it?
    The double XP was fantastic, what normally takes me a week or two, I whacked all three AND the extra module..in one weekend?? For all they screw up, PGI did a solid this last weekend.

Ditched the 4 ERLL and went back to 2 LRM15's/4tons, 6 (yeah..six) ML's and of course, ecm/clanprobe/TC1, stripped the armor off the arms and 5 heat sinks...I broke a grand in that build. And if things don't go horribly wrong early on, I'm getting lots of matches with 500+ matches with kills, even matches we get stomped on, I'm top or second damage maker on my side.
    In pugs, quite often I can get behind, or at a real good angle without being spotted and dump LRM's on em, then run away when I get spotted. I'll take a step back/behind in the 500 -700 meter zone and they just dont pick me out
    Its hot, but very manageable. (your mileage may vary on that statement) Nothing runs so cool you can survive 4-5 mechs when you're last man standing, or you screw up and run into a lance thats not supposed to be there

9. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Using it as a sub lrm boat. But I do understand wgat you are trying to do though.
    Try downgrade it to 2x lrm10, then you can have more DHS and ammo and what not.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. That Dawg

ok, THREE weeks later. I'm keeping the 4ERRLL build. love it.
    I've broke a grand 3-4 times in this chassis, so...I re-bought the prime to take advantage of CW. I have to be honest, hated CW the first two weeks of it, and now starting to like it. So...I need another heckbringer, be it HBR/HBR/SCR/SCR or TBR/HBR/HBR/kit-lynx-filler

I have screwed around and tried various builds and not really happy with any of them, and hate to simply duplicate my first one.
    Tried a few of the builds in the above section, and most seemed real good for pugs, or if you just have one.

Any ideas on a hellbringer specifically built for CW (cause my pug build of 2lrm15art/ML's just shreds), and knowing I have a long range sniper?
    7smpl/2missile somethings? Gauss/smalls?

not sure whether to start new thread or use this one.

thanks in advance- the suggestions on the "proper" forum range from inane, absurd to 'do you have the latest drivers installed'

11. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Other popular builds are 4 ERML and a Gauss, or 4 ERML and 2 UAC5's

12. That Dawg

I'll give those a whirl, thanks

edit: ok, not too shabby the dual uac5/4ml setup.
    very manageable heat, seems to be a good set up with some tweaking for having to assault something, or defend zerg rush

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  13. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

A general build with anti-light capability might be med/med pulse + 2 ssrm racks.

14. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

The main draws of that build are that it's decent in most situations. It can stand to lose either the RT and LT and keep fighting, but it can keep sustained damage going for a long time since the UACs are more or less heat neutral. It's also very effective in normal modes, since it can shred through a mech in pretty short order so long as it is not being focus fired. I have a video or two of its play on my video thread, and I've put many games into play to master the mech itself ;)

The UACs may not be as ideal for long range firing, but when a match gets into a brawl in CW, it is the perfect build. The 4 ERLL+Gauss version is better for long range, thanks to the projectile speed.

15. That Dawg

I screwed around with gauss/tc1/6smalls...what a hoot. Not a great CW build- the smalls just lack range dangerously, not overcome by a single gauss, like a dire with dual G's and 8smalls, runs formidably cool enough, but by the time you can really go to town with the smalls, they're all over you.

but as a pug build, its too much fun. six...SIX smalls are oddly effective at legging while your gauss spools up again. and pugs dont focus fire your dumb ass as badly when you mess up.

question: anyone notice an odd...quirk about the heckbringers? I have run as little as ONE armor in the arms and they take multiple hits before flying off...I'm afraid to run scarecrows with 5 points armor off- this build only uses 30 and in several pugs never lost the arms. Exploitable quirk perhaps, your input?

16. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

You can shoot torsos around the arms even when shielding, and the torsos have all the goodies. Good shooting, anyone not taking off HBR arms.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast