HBK-4G Baby's First Hunchback (2x UAC5, 2x MLas, STD200)

Thread in 'HBK-4G' started by Heraclitus, May 1, 2013.

1. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Junior Member

Hello.

I just started playing, and this is the first build I've had any success with. You should also know it is the most expensive build I've ever had, since I am still new to the game and am still working on earning enough cbills for a heavier mech.

I have only really been successful in a "gang-up" situation, and rarely 1-on-1. I get circled by lights pretty easily for instance. Any advice on improving the build would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Dwergi

Dwergi Well-Known Member

You need Double Heat Sinks - they alone bump your heat efficiency to 47% (you need to drop Ferro to get the slots, though). Always upgrade in this order: DHS > Endo > Ferro.

3. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

Sadly this thread was also not titled correctly to conform with the entirety of the sub-forum.

Drop your SHS, downgrade Ferro.
    Upgrade to DHS, add 2 to LT

4. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. That's obviously an improvement on my build. I guess I usually hold off on DHS since they are a pretty expensive upgrade, but I see the benefits of that upgrade order now (DHS first).

5. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Was doing the same build. But have the setting of (1xMLas, 2xSLas) so I can zombie.

6. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I would like to see AMS on this puppy, but I'm not sure what I should sacrifice for it.

7. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

if you must sacrifice any items to the Mecha god's, let it be the arm weapons.

alternate with smaller head weapon.

8. Protagonist

Protagonist New Member

Hello! It's my first time here. I was just wondering if anyone would anyone be kind enough to help improved this build or any method of using it better.

It works pretty well in most situations except for sustained 1 v 1 battles, the armour gives up pretty quickly. With it being a bit too slow for hit and run I'm usually forced in to a game of whack a mole with opponents around cover.

I was thinking of swapping the engine for an XL270 (as soon as I can afford it) and having 2x AC5, the higher speed might make it more useful for supporting the larger mechs.

What do you think? Is it worth my time upgrading to the faster engine with higher risk or should I keep this as is and save for a new mech?

9. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Welcome to mechspecs!

Not a big fan of UAC5s personally, but I did run the 2xAC5 3xML build for a long time (with a STD225 engine).

Your build has too little ammo for 2 UACs in my opinion. I'd modify it to have 1 ton more at least by moving a laser to the head and stripping the armor from that arm.

Besides that, there are some details to consider:
    Ammo is explosive and you want to store that in places where you get hit the least (which isn't the left torso). Move a majority of it to the legs, leaving 1 or 2 tons in higher places such as the center/left torsos is okay since that's going to be spent first.
    I decided to remove the medium laser from the right side because the hunch is a large target and many people focus it. If it goes down you'll have 2 medium lasers instead of 1.

You say you're considering to dare mounting an XL and AC5s, then there's already a build for that, though you could mix a UAC5 and an AC5 for some combined burst and reliable sustained fire.
    One tip: don't buy the XL270, you can get a free XL275 from buying the Shadowhawk SHD-5M (which is a better mech for 2xAC5 by the way) which is convenient for hunchbacks and centurions. Otherwise the Jagermech JM6-DD comes with a free XL260:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast