Heavy Metal "Swiss Army Knive"(2x AC5, 3xML, 1xLRM15, 1xLRM10, BAP, STD300)

Thread in 'Heavy Metal' started by Vortyrion, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Vortyrion

Vortyrion Junior Member

And the winner build after all game changes is:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Karl TenBrew

Karl TenBrew Star Lord

Well, I was a dummy and posted just before the migration, so my reply here got deleted. Onward!

I am LOVING the way this build handles under the current round of changes as a core concept. Effective at all ranges except "EXTREME!!1!" My only critique to the core layout is ammo placement. The way you have ammo right now, losing the RT early is a guaranteed game-over because you will lose your AC-5s, leaving their ammo stored in your legs waiting to explode, while your LRMs remain unable to fire because you lost all their ammo. Try ammo placement like this:

In this configuration, losing the RT will only cost you the AC-5s and their ammo, while the LRM ammo will be fed Head -> LT -> LL -> RL. A build with this much ammo dependency can never fully remove the risk, but I prefer this version of the risk better.

The personal variant that I plan on giving a test runs soon is:

Loss of five missile tubes gives you a 20 on a faster and more tightly grouped but hotter firing cycle, possible chain firing for steadier rain, but is really about freeing up some tonnage (and I hate how many missiles sometimes get gobbled into oblivion or the ground with IS 15-20 launchers). 5 tons of ammo for each double-weapon system (I find I don't run out of LRM ammo but sometimes need the additional AC-5s). Has a JJ for navigation, BAP for quality of life, and TAG because I prefer it over the third ML...I miss the damage, but sometimes you just need to TAG a stravag. Because modules matter, I recommend AC-5 cooldown as the main weapon module. Any choice of AC-5 range, LRM-10 cooldown, or Medium Laser modules based on preference and needs. With only one Mech module to play with (boo!) and one hybrid after mastering, the choices are hard to make but I'm a sucker for Adv. Sensors, Adv. Target Decay, and/or Target Info. [edit]Helps when you figure out the new smurfy formatting too.[/edit]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Vortyrion and Bolththrower like this.
  3. Vortyrion

Vortyrion Junior Member

My idea behind the ammo placement is this: First half of the game I usually use my LRM ammo and rarely my AC5. Also I try to stay at second position and not to be hit lowering the chance of ammo explosion. At second half of the game when i use most or all of mine LRM ammo and the fight is now close combat mine AC5 ammo is in more safe place when i need them. But I like your idea also. So maybe some mixed variant:

Often when I play alone and get angry at my ........ teammates I swap one ML for TAG but when play with friend and can rely at them for good support i use 3ML instead. Also before release of DWF for c-bills i have over 60M and I regularly use UAV.

I use Adv. Seismic Sensor and Radar Deprivation and range weapon modules for AC5 and ML because the heat. (Haven't play this build after new LRM modules)

Karl TenBrew likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast