Help! Which Firestarters should I buy?

Thread in 'Firestarter' started by Apnu, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Apnu

Apnu Active Member

As the subject says. I have an Ember and I'm almost done getting the basics on it. So which other two FS9's should I get?

Help me decide!

2. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

For me, the FS9-H is the best Firestarter after the Ember.

After that, it's harder to say as they all play pretty much the same. that the FS9-A and the K are basically the same, and it just depends if you want some of your energy hardpoints in your torso or all of them in the arms. Then there's the FS9-S which basically trades an energy hardpoint for a second AMS. I personally went with the FS9-S as I couldn't effectively use all 8 lasers anyways and having the 2nd AMS during the Lurmaggedon came in very handy.

3. ForkTheSpoonWrecker

ForkTheSpoonWrecker New Member

I like the K the most.

4. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I've seen the A used with deadly precision with the 8 SPL build.

5. ForkTheSpoonWrecker

ForkTheSpoonWrecker New Member

I use that build on the A and K and even though the A has quirks for it, I find it works better with the K and its more precise firing.

6. SAI Peregrinus

SAI Peregrinus Advanced Member

A >= H > Ember > K >= S

Or, in a more general sense (my personal opinion):
    FS9-A >= FS9-H > Oxide >= Huginn > RVN-3L > Ember >= JR7-F >= JR7-K > SDR-5D > KFX (any) > Other lights.

Of course, this can be very situation/group dependent. There are plenty of times where the short range an lack of ECM on the first four mechs means the 3L is better than any of them. There are times when you need the heavy punch, ECM, and possibly AMS of a Kitfox. Etc, etc. But the above seems accurate to me for solo play. Not that I won't occasionally run a RVN-4x or such, of course, other mechs can be quite fun.

7. Cyril Ray

Cyril Ray Active Member

I'm sure the OP already made his choice but in case someone else needs this. I've had the Ember A and S and all worked very well. I do think the A now beats out the ember as machine guns just need to stay on target to long to be useful in the light jousting attacks that seem more effective. Did a slower medium pulse build on it and managed to eat other lights but not fun being so slow. A is now awesome with the quirks and I like the torso hard points as you will often lose your arms in a FS and it doesn't reduce your damage as much. S did well for team support and has helped me keep my pugs alive on Mt Doom when we had two discos and I got them to stay and defend the base and ran through them reducing the incoming rain. We won that one and I bet I have the screen shot somewhere. Solo it's not really better though I haven't looked at it's quirks yet.

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

You seems to really like the -H, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. True it got some nice heat-efficiency boost from the quirks, but I still would pick a Jenner-F instead (for the high mounted lasers).

To me two Firestarters really stand out from the others, the -A and the Ember.
    The rest is kinda meh... I'd chose the -H, then the -S, as grind variant(s) but I'd probably sell them after basics unlocked.

SAI Peregrinus and Durandal like this.
  9. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

With epikt here . . . A and Ember are the only two I run regularly. The H obviously got some nice quirks, but it still doesn't change that Jenner is a better ML boat than a Firestarter. High mounts FTW . . .

10. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Add a +1 from me on that too. The Jenner is also a bit shorter than the FS9-H, and that pays off in maps like Bog and HPG Manifold. My Jenner can fly under the ramps in the middle, but my Firestarters always get stuck randomly; same goes around some of the vines and carapaces in Bog. Nothing can replace my JR7-F for a MLas boat in a light.

11. SAI Peregrinus

SAI Peregrinus Advanced Member

Yeah, placing the FS9-H vs the JR7-F is hard, the reasoning for putting the H above is the ability to add the MGs, combined with the rather broken hitboxes. The F has better heat efficiency (if you take the MGs, otherwise the H wins here) and is a bit faster, in addition to the high mount lasers as mentioned. Since I tend to play a "shoot, then run away" style and focus on reaming out the rears of heavy/assault mechs the lower cooling efficiency and added MGs and the 10% range bonus makes that a bit easier.

So, preface my entire post above with "For my particular playstyle in solo drops." Obviously in group queue things change, eg the Oxide gains a bit over the Huginn, the Kitfoxen become better than the SDR-5D due to their great ability to support heavier mechs, etc, etc. There, I'd probably swap the F & the H due to the advantages Epikt mentioned.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast