How much use is Master Tactician?

Thread in 'BattleTech (2018)' started by skribs, May 19, 2018.

1. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I think the Tactics tree has some of the best passives in the game. In particular, having an 82% chance to hit CT instead of 33% chance on a Precision Shot is amazing. However, I'm not so sure on the active abilities.

On my main campaign, my character actually went Guts to 5 first (to get Bulwark) and then went Gunnery to 5 (to get Multi-Shot) and then went full Tactics. So I got the benefit for sniping and LRMs, but didn't get the lackluster abilities.

Now, I can see the case to be made for two of the 8-point abilities. Breaching Shot has proved it's worth to me, and I can see very good uses for Ace Pilot. However, I fail to see how Master Tactician can be anything good next to Ace Pilot.

As a brawler or a jack-of-all-trades Mech, Ace Pilot lets you shoot an enemy mech, and if you destroy it, then to move to your next objective. As a skirmisher, it lets you reserve until you can essentially get 2 alpha strikes before running away, and never stay in the enemy's firing lane.

Ace Pilot, from what I can tell, allows you to play with initiate better than Master Tactician, because it allows you to move after shooting, while MT just lets you go slightly earlier in the turn order.

So why would you take Master Tactician over Ace Pilot? What is it that this particular ability gives you? Or is it just something you would pick up if you mainly cared about the passives and just wanted to get Call Shot Mastery?

2. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

Ace Pilot isn't going to do much for you if you're in an Assault mech. You'll be too slow to get to cover after attacking and you can't reserve. Master Tactician lets your assault mech go before all of the enemy assault mechs. And it gives you the option to reserve, which assaults don't normally have.

3. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

For the assaults I was more thinking of killing one enemy and then moving towards the next. So essentially you get 1 move closer to the next target.