Jenner JR7-K the "Bullfrog" (1x SRM6, 4x MLas, 3x JJ, XL300)
5/5,

2 ratings

Thread in 'JR7-K' started by Tyr4nt, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Tyr4nt

Tyr4nt New Member

"Bullfrogs are voracious, opportunistic, ambush predators that prey on any small animal they can overpower and stuff down their throats. Bullfrog stomachs have been found to contain rodents, small turtles, snakes, crayfish, frogs (including bullfrogs), birds, and a bat, as well as the many invertebrates, such as insects, which are the usual food of ranid frogs"

This build is designed to make the most out of it's hard points and tonnage. The intention of the SRM6 is that rather than be supplementary to the MLas, they're designed to compliment each other. The build originally had a BAP, SSRM2 and an extra heatsink but they were all dropped to give it more bite without having to worry about enemy ECM's or lock-on time. The SRM6 is selected over the SRM4 because of the added firepower and rapid follow up of the 2 additional missiles despite that the JR7-K only has 4 missile tubes.

Where this build really shines is targeting specific parts(back armor, arms, legs) and crit finding. The trade off is a hotter Alpha and more micro heat management. It is recommended to alternate sustained fire between the 4 MLas and the SMR6 firing one followed by the other, and then prioritizing the SRM6 when near the heat threshold and/or chain firing the 4 Mlas.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I have a few problems with this build. The first is the SRM6 firing as 4-2 missiles. I usually can't hit other fast lights with those 2 volleys. The second is the armor config. I perfer max leg armor, and at least 30 on the front torso. Otherwise, it is quite a good build for going against heavy mechs.

3. Tyr4nt

Tyr4nt New Member

I haven't had too many issues with the follow up shots connecting but that could just be how I'm playing it. Part of why I call it the Bullfrog is because of the emphasis on being opportunistic. If I don't have a clean shot I DO aim for the legs to immobilize the target to create a clean shot. I also exploit pilot error like crazy such as aiming for the delay after they land from jumping and other things. Don't get me wrong I will never claim to be perfect or hit with all the missiles every time.

As for the other concerns, I have reallocated the armor but I still don't put as much emphasis on the front CT. I personally find that the bigger concern is getting shot in the back while egressing and will usually still have front CT armor when the engine goes because of getting cored from behind. I have however moved armor from the rear side torsos to the front because those have been less of an issue.

I have been looking at where to improve it overall though. I'm currently testing a modified build, that's closer to/inspired by Subjectseven's Alpha JR7-D :blush:. I ripped my XL295 out of my Raven 3L to test it, effectively making the Bullfrog a gimped "lite" version of his JR7-D picking up an extra heatsink in exchange for having an SRM6 instead of 2x SMR4's.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  4. Attheveryend

Attheveryend New Member

5/5,
    busted a thousand damage on this build

[​IMG]

octopec likes this.
  5. octopec

octopec New Member

1k damage in this is MASSIVE, gotta try it. I used to run a narc in the missile spot, but now that it's worthless...

6. deman102712

deman102712 Junior Member

5/5,
    I dropped some armor, the jump jets, and a ton of SRM ammo for an Active Probe, Targeting Computer, and an AMS. All in all though this is my favorite loadout for the JR7-K.

I don't know how competitive it will be going up the ranks but in Tier 5 I almost always survive and do some decent damage. Nothing close to 1000 but I've broken 500 a time or two. When we get stomped I usually survive late with just the "I'm just a harmless light mech" armor quirk so I don't prioritize the armor on lights.
    I just always find I don't use all my SRM ammo and I don't poptart too much on it since the lasers are my primary damage dealers. The only thing I could see changing back is moving the armor values back up in turn for removing the TC, some AMS ammo, or AMS as the situation calls for.

7. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

The only nail in the coffin of this JR7-K is that the JR7-D does it so much better with the extra missile hardpoint.

deman102712 likes this.
  8. deman102712

deman102712 Junior Member

I've been thinking about buying another variant to min/max better, but that would mean leaving Jenny behind. She was my very first mech and I just love playing her.

Excalibaard likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast