Jester "Silly Merricat!" (3x PPC, 2x MLas, 2x AMS, XL300)

Thread in 'Jester' started by epikt, Feb 24, 2014.

1. epikt

epikt Benefactor

My first attempts with the Jester were built around an XL350, you know, because I though it was a waste of potential not to use the chassis ability to mount a bigger engine than other Catapults. But the fact is I seriously lacked of firepower and did not felt comfortable with what I tested (builds were a mix of LPLas and MLas or LLas and MPLas, things like that).
    And actually I feel everything more powerful than an XL300 becomes very costly (in tonnage) for the speed benefit it gives, and should only be used with a very good reason and/or lot of free tonnage.

So here it is, back with a trusty XL300 and loaded with PPCs.
    Two JJs and two AMS, so I at least take advantage of some Jester unique abilities. AMS ammo can run out quickly, but it only means it did its job.
    The two MLas are here for backup under PPC minimum range, and are taking the two last slots I can't fill with DHS anyway. It also can be used as the little damage bonus to finish a mech, but I think most of the time this mech should be piloted focusing on the PPCs high pin-point alpha. Without the MLas, the heat efficiency is 40%, which is pretty good for a PPC boat.
    You might have the idea to load at least one ERPPC in order not to feel too naked under 90m (for example two PPCs + one ERPPC), but I think the heat cost is too high (+50% heat for ER compared to standard), and even if you have the tonnage you don't have much crit space to mount more DHS (remove a JJ to add one more, maybe a second if you upgrade the engine to 325, even if I doubt it, for not such an improvement).

Weapon groups are, no big surprise:
    1/ arm PPCs
    2/ torso PPC
    3/ MLas
    Heat penalty for firing 3 PPCs is pretty heavy, so only do it when you have no choice or can cool down. Most of the time, 2+1 is good enough (and don't hit at the same spot anyway).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Have to agree, the XL300 feels like the sweetspot for good armaments. Nice build, i ran that but with four MLAS. Bit hot, your's better. :)

I'll be posting my favourite build from the past few days soon too, my experiments with pulse lasers have been fun. :)

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Pulse lasers are indeed kinda fun, but unfortunately very situational. Numerous times I found myself useless, and/or had to expose myself too much in order to fight.

4. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast