King Crab- XL vs STD engine?

Thread in 'King Crab' started by The Verge, Dec 9, 2014.

Which is better for the King Crab

Poll closed Jan 6, 2015.
  1. Standard Engine

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. Xtra Light Engine

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to start a poll that will end in 4 weeks. It asks a simple quesiton- which is better in the King Crab, the XL engine, or the STD engine?

If you vote, please say why you voted that way, and include at least one example build that uses the engine you voted for.

2. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I'm going to vote later. I will have to see what the hit boxes are like and whether they seem to get cored first or if the STs go first. However, I think in order to maximize the use of the hardpoints, you're going to have to go XL.

3. Gasboy

Gasboy Advanced Member

XL. Because it would be downright criminal not to take advantage of the extra torso armour.

4. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I see extra arm armor, not torso armor.

Torso armor is good for STD too, anyway. You last longer before being zombied.

5. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

XL engine --- living on the edge FTW!

No, I do seriously think an XL engine in these things is going to be most ideal, though perhaps not always the "safest" choice, for obvious reasons. Still, these things have massive firepower potential, and alot of the "best" builds are going to be using an XL engine in order to get enough weight for all the firepower they'll be packing. Also, in the majority of cases, XL engine means fast engine; and I've already been seeing these things fall behind and die to the typical Nascar play-style. They need speed, and an XL engine can give them that.

Blagg Zear likes this.
  6. SniperCzar

SniperCzar Well-Known Member

In the 20 matches I've played in the KGC so far, I have only died to XL ST loss in two. One of those two losses was a triple direct hit arty strike on my side torso for 120 damage which I would chalk up as an act of God anyways. I've also been arty headshotted once in those 20 matches in the KGC. From my small sample size so far, the odds of dying in a KGC from actual combat ST loss are about the same as having someone drop an arty right on your dome and ending you.

So in summary, I see no reason to take a standard over an XL in the KGC.

7. ambushk

ambushk New Member

I guess it really depends on the build and alot of people are still getting the hitboxes down

8. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Hmm.. after some rounds i have the same impression - most damage goes to CT. Need more testing, but if this is true, then it favors XL Engine Builds. and that's very good for Multiple Dakka Builds! :)

9. Mirenheart

Mirenheart New Member

The XL seems best on this just so you can get the tonnage you need to put on the balistics, plus the side torsos seems to be pretty small

10. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

... well i myself did die most times due to CT Destruction. But i have seen some Enemy Crabs losing Sidetorsos fast. So i can't say for sure, that using XL Engine is in general the best idea on this Mech. It depends on Luck. But most times the CT gets hit first/more often.

11. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Might also depend on whether you're flanked or not. High DPS builds require you to look right at the target. If they aim center of mass they'll hit CT, and that will pop you whether you have a STD or XL.

12. SAI Peregrinus

SAI Peregrinus Advanced Member

XL! As a light pilot who will never run a mech this ponderous, it potentially makes it easier for me to kill them. Every little bit helps!

13. Falconium

@SAI Peregrinus --- :rofl: :rolleyes: :hilarious:

Made me laugh out loud, Sai . . . I love how you cripple your enemies through psychological warfare! :thumbsup: :p

14. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Exactly!
    I haven't tested my KC yet, I've played Jenner all evening. I've killed a few Crabs by blowing off their side torso, that was a pleasant surprise indeed.

(though I felt it was more spontaneous to hit the CT)

15. Falconium

They have huge CTs . . .

16. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I voted XL to fit more stuffs. STD only if you need to fit more missiles.

17. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

Depends on the builds ! on sniper builds XL might be safe, but on brawler I think STD will be always better.

So far I will vote STD, because I've piloted Jenner all the time and blowing up their ST wasn't too hard, especially from behind since they usually frontload a lot of armor.

PS : has anyone tried this build yet with XL engine?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    epikt likes this.
  18. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

We can just take two ppl with premium time, one with a crab and the other with a small laser and find out about the hitboxes? Or have someone already mapped them out?

19. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

It used to show the hitboxes in UI 1.0...

20. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Depending on build and purpose. Long range build can go XL to pack more DHS and punch, maybe giving up on endo for more DHS and ammo.
    Brawlers... STD last longer.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast