KTO-18 "Fly Swatter" (2x LLas, 5x SSRM2, BAP, XL325)

Thread in 'KTO-18' started by Cthulu Jr., Aug 8, 2013.

1. Cthulu Jr.

Cthulu Jr. Well-Known Member

A JOAT-EOA (Jack-of-all-trades, Expert-of-All) mech. This build can do essentially anything well. I didn't manage to fit quite as much SSRM ammo as I wanted (you get 20 full volleys), but the LLas makes up for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

Another better streaker I think
    a bigger engined Kintaro...Light's nightmare!

3. enileph

enileph Star Lord

I do think that your build is wonderful! Only thing to worry about is the amount of streaks you are carrying. 20 volleys is not alot. But yeah, your firepower is superior to mine and a bit faster too.

Tried it and think that the LLas and streaks are powerful, but gets a bit hot with the 2x LLas, still managable. The streaks does run dry fast though. I would suggest more streaks for this build, maybe an extra ton of streak ammo.

I made a hybrid build "Streak and Beam" with only one LLas and is testing it currently. Feel free to test that also.

4. Cthulu Jr.

The reason why I didn't add an extra ton of streak ammo the first time around is that I needed FF armor to manage the weight; even if I did cut a DHS, I don't have enough slots to add another ton of ammo.

That being said, I've created a version that fits the popular demand. I probably won't use it, but here you go;

5. Superman1980

Superman1980 New Member

8kph slower but 500 ammo

6. m0thm4n

m0thm4n Active Member

No BAP either.

I'd keep the 300 XL, add a BAP, drop 1 tonne of ammo + shave a little armor from the legs.

7. Dr.Gonzo

Dr.Gonzo New Member

Thanks for the first KTO-18 build that works for me. Although I am running it with a XL 300, 300 ammo, BAP, No FF and 14 DHS.

8. Cthulu Jr.

I've been doodling with this build for a while, and I am dismayed at how quickly you can burn through even 300 SSRM ammo; I can go through up to 5 volleys killing just one light mech, leaving me terribly shorthanded when fighting larger battlemechs. Also, the Kintaro is one of the bigger medium mechs in the game, which can make you very vulnerable to LRMs if they have more than two boats.

So, here is an alt variant that I have come up with that takes these lessons into account.

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Here is my version with more Cooling:

Imo you must decide what's the Main attackweapons of the build. In my eyes obviously the Double LLas and so need more Cooling. You will need it if you unfortunately get Hot maps like Mount Doom. It you focus on Streak Attacks then go for Speed & Ammo with MLas as backup. AMS comes handy if really many dudes focus their Missile attacks on you. But if you stick to bigger dudes anyways this won't happen too much. At 97kph you are fast enough to reposition when hearing incoming missiles alarm.

10. Cthulu Jr.

You are entirely correct on all counts, except for your choice of main weapon; that's a matter of opinion. The way I see it, streaks are the main weapon; the LLas are used as closing and chase weapons, as well as exploiting weak spots and long range poking if there are too many for you to close in.

Here's how I'd group my stuff;

1-LLas Alpha
    2-SSRM Chain
    3-SSRM Alpha

On a similar note, here's what your proposed Streak-main KTO-18 would look like;

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=95&l=82388801a654fa44a387a285d770f97aba9e63bb

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

6tons are extreme. I would drop down to 4tons and have two more heatsinks.

12. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

I'm trying out 2xLLAS 5xSSRM2 14xDHS atm, and i find it to be my favourite so far. KTO isn't exactly the sturdiest chassis out there (my favourite SHD is far, far more survivable than this thing) and it needs some weaponry for mid-range fire exchange when you can't close in on the enemy. It runs hot on desert/volcano maps, but its definitely manageable.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast