LCT-3S "The Hobbit" (2x SRM4, 1x SLas, XL190)

Thread in 'LCT-3S' started by Cpt Chattahah, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Don't take the road, stick to the woods.

Fairly solid for this little joke of a mech. Quick enough to get in and out and make strafing runs at 170kph.

Good for a lot of fun, great with a Cap Module, fragile like Betty White!

I've played about five builds on this mech now and this seems to be the most efficient.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

DO WANT< DOING NOW!

3. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

didn't want to pay the 1.5M for DHS? 37% eff to 67%. Besides that, I think this is the best this mech will ever be.

4. galorin

galorin New Member

I prefer to do 4x SRM2 in this build, The SRM2 has a faster recycle time than the SRM4, plus once you start losing weapons, you may manage to keep one SRM2 for another volley rather than completely lose all weapons in that side. More stuff in the arm to do the crit buffering thing... not that you last long enough for that to be a worry in this mech.

5. LT Satisfactory

Galorin - I was debating the 4srm2 vs 2srm4 as well.
    I ended up with:
    - DPS is higher for srm4 (using DHS, srm4=3.97, srm2=3.48; or removing the SL, gap is even larger with 4.48 vs 3.65), point srm4
    - firing more often I don't see as a positive because I would rather streak in and out/pilot crazy than having to worry about timing my faster shots, point srm4

...but I didn't think about the crit value. Probably doesn't make that much of a difference since you're going to die the next shot at you, but I'll give it a try.

6. Cyanid7

Cyanid7 Active Member

If you don´t want to spend the CBills for DHS, you would probably go with 2 x srm4.

4 x srm2 would be really hot with SHS (i have 29 or 29% HE in mind).

7. Cpt Chattahah

Bingo.

For this mech, I don't see the cost of DHS as justified. As a harasser and quick striker, you don't need sustained DPS. If you stick around, you're doing it wrong.

8. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Isnt it better to run SSRMs @170kph? :rolleyes:

9. Cpt Chattahah

Only if you want to drop enough tonnage to also add BAP. Moreover, at 170kph, in close quarters, it often gets difficult to gain/hold a lock. Personally, I prefer my eyes targeting, not a computer. However, if people prefer Streaks, there are plenty of builds out there to run them and they are certainly viable.

Best round I've had with a 3x SSRM load is ~275 damage and two kills. With 2x SRM4 & 1x SLas, I had a round with 380 damage and 3 kills. Either way, it's still a VERY fragile mech and I imagine it will become even moreso when people realize how easy it is to take down with the right strategy.

10. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

AC20 to the side torso. Works every time.

11. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

Since this build is for strafing (i.e. firing one alpha then peeling off), the heat difference shouldn't matter between the two SRM options.

What would be interesting is to see what the spread difference is between 4x SRM2 and 2x SRM4. Michael did a similar test in the testing grounds comparing 2xSRM6+A, 2xSRM6, and 3xSRM4, though I can't seem to locate it.

12. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Hmmm, well, isnt it the main primary task of the Locust to scout, and having some Weapons for rather Defense than Offense? For Scouting BAP comes very handy. Moreover for using SRMs it is in my experience difficult to hit the (moving!) target, unless you drop speed, what almost equals suicide. SSRMs are more "comfortable" at High Speed Circling-Attacks, for having hits without accurate aiming. And what about the 2'Tube-Sizes of each Missile-Bay - correct Info at Smurfy or can you fire all 8 Missiles in one Volley? If not, i think it is even more difficult to hit the Target. But if you prefer to get more kills+damage with SRM4s, why not? :rolleyes:

13. Cyanid7

Cyanid7 Active Member

Smurfy is wrong. They all throw out at once, like the LRM5.I approve of this as i already played it.

14. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Ok then it's better.. Damn Smurfy! :p

15. p4g3m4s7r

p4g3m4s7r New Member

Not sure if you're using the smurphy numbers or not, but the sustained DPS number is never correct for mixed weapons anyway (the calculation is too generic to take into account things like just using your most heat efficient weapons) and as others have noted, you shouldn't be in a sustained engagement.

4xSRM2 means tighter grouping and if you get into a fight with another light the DPS will actually help. Heat should only be a problem if you keep fighting for too long (even with single heat sinks which puts you at 31% if its just the SRMs).

16. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

i can't believe that i could even create something like this:

:rofl:

but what about this one?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  17. Cpt Chattahah

The only reason I see to pilot these mechs is their max speed. I wouldn't downgrade speed for any reason. Otherwise, I'd just go 150 in a Spider or Jenner, which are both FAR superior mechs.

18. LT Satisfactory

sigh, i tried multiple times to run this successfully, but my aim isn't good enough. Had to dumb it down to 3ssrm2/xl180 :(

19. Valdemaar

Valdemaar New Member

I've been trying to make a viable build for the locust ever since they were released and this probably is the best loadout I've played even when taking into account the other two variants. I find that it's best played as a jousting mech. Find a target in the distance, weave around avoiding getting hit, pepper them with a face full of SRM goodness, and get the hell outta there :D

20. Midnite7175

Midnite7175 Advanced Member

I know this thread is old... but the Locusts are still out there... so:
    my 2 cents on this build
    - SRM2s no way jose... having a higher fire rate with non-lockable missiles on a fast moving mech is not always a profitable thing. U tend to fire more often into the rubble instead of takin your time an carefully aim. Trust me on this one, been there done that ( a lot)
    - Scouting: Every Mech, even a scout, has to fight at some time. What do u do if scouting is not an issue anymore? stand by the sideline and watch your team fight it out? U better have some weapons ready....even a locust can be a valid asset if a good pilot is in it and a bit of luck is on his side.
    - Full Speed: Full Speed in a Locust is not a survival guarantee nor a very big asset. I've been shot out of my Mech with dualgaussers form 600m and more, movin sideways at full speed and survived other matches with lower enginerates. Maneuverabilty and using the terrain for cover is the key, not full speed. (Speed only helps u to run away or close in faster to a target or pursuer.) Anyway, speed doesn't help u if u r scouting and run into an enemy group either....
    - Commando: I'm tired of the perpetual Locust/Commando comparisons. Yeah, the Commando can do better than any Locust, yeah, the Commando can carry ECM as well... BUT... what will you do, if u have a limited drop and u only have 20t left for an extra light? Strip 5t off the Commando?
    The Locust is here, and it's here to stay. It does what it does, and I love and hate it for that. It's still a good lil rascal (not to mention a classic Mech), and pilots that have the balls to fight in it, and get a good result, get my respect for it.

Just my opinion in this matter.

Good build... though I prefer the ML/2SRM4 variant....

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast