Question Looking for a fun sniper build

Thread in 'General Discussion' started by ftnuts86, Mar 21, 2021.

1. ftnuts86

ftnuts86 New Member

What are some of the best or most common sniper builds for solo que? Also, Is it possible there any any light mechs that can fulfill the role, or does it need to be heavier mechs? (Normie player, forgive my normieness)

2. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Mostly you'll look at mediums or heavier, because most sniper weapons are a bit heavy (ERLL, ERPPC, Gauss Rifles) or require a large amount of heatsinks. I think mediums are the sweet spot as you can get the firepower and heatsinks without sacrificing a lot of mobility. Though, a good player with a 3LPPC Spider 5D, or a 2ERLL Raven 3L can do a lot, usually a 2ERPPC/ERLL Shadow Cat or 3ERLL Shadow Hawk will be much easier to manage.

In more organized play, focus shifts towards slower mechs like the BLR-2C or WHM-IIC as your team has more control over what will happen in the match and at what range you engage, so the mobility is not as useful, being replaced by 'who has the best range quirk'. You'll see a lot of 3ERPPC VGL-1 used there too.

Quick shoutout to the Warhammer 6R, which can do every role in the game, including sniping. 4ERML 2Gauss is a favourite of mine, and has better convergence than the rifleman or jagermech.

You can also do 'sniping' with AC2s, they are more of a suppressive fire weapon, but load 6 of them on a RFL-IIC-2 and hit the same component repeatedly, you'll feel invincible.

3. If you are new to the sniper role, I would recommend looking for ECM capable mechs.

Shadow Cat comes to mind as it can have ECM, MASC, and jump jets. It is very mobile mech. It will be hot with 2x ERPPC.

Currently large laser mechs are going to be at a disadvantage as there are many PPC mechs that will be shooting and scooting while you need to hold that laser on target.

I would consider Sun Spider with 2x ERPPC and 2x UAC5 with ECM as sniper with ballistic back up. That will give you something to use during the seven second ER PPC cooldown.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    ftnuts86 likes this.
  4. ftnuts86

ftnuts86 New Member

I appreciate the suggestions, actually trying them out over time. I like using a light mech because i feel like my idleness looking for a good snipe shot doesn't hurt the team much. I am trying out a few of these as I get the bills for it. ECM really seems to be the thing that I was not appreciating in my 2x C-ERPPC Addler prime, fun as it sometimes im a sitting duck for LRMs once I expose myself.

Gauss Rifle is fun, but it seems like by and large people don't use it. Is it any good? seems like with a ECM mech its the easiest weapon to keep yourself hidden while you use?

Excalibaard likes this.
  5. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

You can try a Thanatos 5S with stealth armor (ECM with super ECM) and two gauss rifles to be the ultimate sneaky sniper. Make sure to get some MC from an event and get a black paint for extra effectiveness (on non snow maps). Gauss is not that niche, but it doesn't have the 'THOOMP' or DPS of a 'normal autocannon'.

Stealth thanatos in action:

ftnuts86 likes this.
  6. ShiverMeRivets

ShiverMeRivets Well-Known Member

Snipers are underwhelming in MWO. Their dps is abysmal and they don’t push or hold any strategic ground. They are mostly good for distraction and you have to be very active and very good in order to be a positive addition to your team.

Players like snipers because they are usually the last to die (fast mediums) and they often snatch a kill or two in the end game against near dead opponents - usually just before losing the match.

Therefore there are no “good” (for the team) snipers in MWO - there are some that are not entirely bad for the team. If you do play a sniper you have the cERPPC route on a highly mobile clan medium with JJs and preferably ECM, or a slow IS stealth Gauss - usually a Thanatos.

Which ever you choose, remember that you have to be shooting early and shooting a lot in order to have a positive impact on the match.

ftnuts86 likes this.
  7. ftnuts86

ftnuts86 New Member

Fair point about snipers not having a major impact in a average situation holding the team back, its why I like doing it in a light, feel like if I get enough dps in I actually generate a little value then.

8. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Professional Potato Carrier

This. Especially with the current brawl and rotato potato meta, snipers must keep shooting from start to finish to be valuable for their team (and I say this despite my absolute favourite mech is a Warhammer 6R dual gauss and 4xERML... And I don't play it anymore in QuickPlay)

Despite that, snipers can really turn the tides because of their "area of denial / if you stick out your head I'm gonna damage you for free" role.
    EDIT: this applies especially when you have a coordinated lance (or at least 2 Mechs) to hold a position and/or overwatch a choke point. I remember countless time me and my friends denying an enemy push because everyone fool enough to poke a corner earned at least 4 Gauss rifles and 8 ERML in their CT.

IMHO, a very nimble and underrated solo sniper build is the RVN-4X with 2xERLL: it gets cooldown, range and laser duration quirks and despite its low alpha, it can keep on firing forever.

I had a fun 1vs6 situation with that mech and in the right maps, you can really turn the tides at your favor... But map knowledge and cold blood (aka: make the right positioning calls and don't push other brawlers) is required

RVN-4X ERLLas Sniper (2x ERLas, 2x JJ, XL275)

EDIT: to be completely fair, it was a fun round because I exploited HPG manifold walls. If I hadn't the high-ground advantage to Obi Wan the enemy team, that piranha would have eaten my ass waaay earlier... And we are straight back to the topic "snipers aren't that useful when brawl lights have so much more DPS"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  9. ftnuts86

ftnuts86 New Member

That was a fun and epic last stand to watch. Learned some things for sure.

invernomuto likes this.
  10. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

It loses some range, but I've been playing with this all day, and loving it XD

11. CarloArmato

Don't forget the ECMed Spider: it can also boat JJs

invernomuto likes this.
  12. Dopenose

Dopenose New Member

Hellbringer with quad C-ER LRG Laser comes to mind.

13. invernomuto

invernomuto Junior Member

Very nice build, in your opinio is it better with stealth armor or FF + JJs?

14. CarloArmato

FF and JJs without a second thought.

Stealth armor biggest advantage is being invisible to UAVs, so if you are really shooting at LPPCs optimal range, stealth armor won't help you.

IMHO the only times where I truly needed stealth armor were while brawling down someone left behind or quite "separated" from the group. The stealth build I liked the most so far is a stealth 4xSRM4 javelin (11P if i remember correctly, named "Sekiro").

invernomuto likes this.
  15. Mik1984

Mik1984 New Member

I usually stick to submax long range, plenty of powerful builds there - and going 20% above your optimal range will still mean you match the firepower of a real sniper at that range. And JJ are a must have for a long range fighter, they open much more firing positions, actually useable ones, not those that everyone is used to and will avoid exposure.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast