Machine gun strategies

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Zennon, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Zennon

Zennon New Member

I'm still new to the game, but am currently trying to maximize my impact in-game while running machine guns on various mechs. I'm running the usual Mist Lynx-G, with 8 LIGHT machine guns for ranged combat, with 2 ER medium lasers to help opening up components.

Does anyone have any other weapon combinations involving machine guns as your primary weapon? I'm going to buy the hero variant of the Blackjack this week, or is there a c-bill variant of another mech that you guys recommend?

I also am experimenting with a Marauder 3R with 3 heavy machine guns in the high shoulder mount with 4 pulse lasers as backup, in brawler mode.

2. Welcome to MWO and Mechspecs.

I would recommend only using machine guns as a back up weapon.

Even on the Mist Lynx and Piranha, MGs are only worth the face time is when armor is stripped or you are behind a mech and not getting return fire.

I can't in good conscience recommend machine guns on the 3R, but you might consider something like this. Bear in mind this build falls far short of the potential of the chassis.

I would make sure you have plenty of primary weapons, especially on slower mediums and heavies.
    I have run builds like this with decent results. But the machine guns are just there to fill tonnage without heat load.

https://mechspecs.com/threads/hbr-f-crit-machine-mk-2-6xcerml-4xclmg-ecm-tc-7.12894/

Just my opinion. I encourage experimenting. I just want to make sure you don't spent a lot of C-bills on a chassis that might not deliver what you want.

Zennon likes this.
  3. rinco

rinco Well-Known Member

Basically machine guns are useless until you strip some armor. So in a brawl you want to be torso twisting until that armor is stripped. Then you can maintain the facetime needed to unleash machine gun fury.

Or better still try to strip the armor long before you get into a brawl. I have had great success pairing machine guns with cERPPCs, specifically using this huntsman build (click here for original build)...

Aylek likes this.
  4. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Professional Potato Carrier

@Zennon Exactly this.

Marauder is a very nice chassis because it's asymmetrical and can easily shield the right side (the one with most of your weapons) by using your left side as a "meat shield / dead side". Basically, you can shoot, expose only your left side by rotating your torso to the right, wait for the weapons to cooldown, aim back to your opponent and repeat the previous steps. This will greatly enhance both your survival rate and total damage dealt.

If you use machine guns, you can't torso twist between shots during a brawl because you have to face your target the whole time, which is sub-optimal for this chassis and you can't exploit the geometry / hit boxes of this mech. You can do both damage and crits by using the good old 2xLBX10 + 4xML, but if you really want to use MGs, the build posted by remove of obstacles could be a thing, or you can go full nuts with a slower and hotter build like the following:

LPLs have the best damage over heat ration, so use them you are running hot and protect them instead of the SNPPCs.

Or you could even use a "pure" sniper because marauder has quirks on PPCs

Anyway, if you look closely at any build posted so far, they follow one main tactic: use the weapons with longer reach to soften up approaching targets, then crit the internal components once they finally reach your position... If they will ever reach your position. You should not intentionally push your target to use your MGs unless your whole team is pushing or you clearly can't win a trade at longer ranges (e.g.: you are clearly outgunned)... Or at least this is how I would play them, but I wouldn't use these builds in the first place.

IMHO right now any MG is a waste on anything heavier than a 45 tonner (included): most of the times you are not fast enough to dodge shots and the enemy will have a chance to pinpoint your components if you face your target for too long. This is actually a huge downside because builds with high alpha strike or high pinpoint (the first one is the most common meta right now, while the latter is true for most assault builds) will easily destroy/core a side torso or kill you in no time.
    Also keep in mind that HMGs have a shorter range, weights more, doesn't deal as much damage per ammo ton and it deal 1.4 dps instead of 1 dps compared to a standard machine guns. Right now, IMHO Heavy machine guns are a niche weapons on fast mechs, even more niche compared to light and standard MGs

5. Zennon

Zennon New Member

Thanks for the feedback and tips, greatly appreciated!

I've come to realize some of those points, and the Marauder is now sporting 2 LB 10 and 4 medium pulse lasers. Error partially corrected!

Tonight I'll buy either the Blackjack hero mech "Arrow" or the Piranha package, unsure of which. This computer is a bit too slow for lights so far, so maybe the Blackjack. I have a good gaming laptop with a blown CMOS chip, warranty work but they are dragging their heels on it

6. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Everyone and their mothers will be running Piranhas, as they released today. I really enjoy the Blackjack Arrow myself, with either LPL+2ERML laservomit or 3LPPC as 'can-opener', but I cant deny that 12 MG is much more (deadly) than 6.

If you have the MC lying around for the arrow, that's worth it, otherwise Piranha will be equally expensive but you get 3 mechs instead of 1.

7. Zennon

Zennon New Member

PIRANHA POWER. So much fun :D

8. Zennon

Zennon New Member

Also, now that I've gotten some more experience at this, RAC 5 is a helluva fun Machine gun!

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast