Many stalker variants are redundant?

Thread in 'Stalker' started by enileph, Jul 8, 2013.

1. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Yes, I am trying to get a stalker or two, but can't help to notice the models being redundant, is that true?

STK-3F: The typical 6E4M stalker, with a better angle of torso.
    STK-5S: Basically the same thing without the bonus, but 2x AMS which might be handy.
    STK-3H: 4E4M. But at least this seems to have more missile tubes?
    STK-4N: Why does this even exist? UTTERLY USELESS!!! Same specs and quirks, except worse as 6E3M.
    STK-5M: OK, at least 5E5M means 5xSRM6 boat in addition to Las. Not sure if different enogh to matter.
    Misery: Well... Obviously selling point is the Ballistic slot.

So basically you should get a 3F or 5S as the generic, and never get the 4N.
    3H and 5M is a toss up between more tubes or more missiles.
    Misery is just that.

I already have the 5S. Now which one should I get? I am trying to get 3 Stalkers total to go elite, and hope that they would be different and not just clones.

2. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

If you like LRM20s, the 3H is a viable option. The 5M could also work, since it is the only non-premium Stalker with a Zombie slot.

3. knightwolf47

knightwolf47 Active Member

My vote is for the 5M as well. Both for the zombie slot Archwright referred to along with the fact that this has the most missile hardpoints for a mech, second only to the Catapult A1.

If you don't want to run clones, the next choice would depend on how you have your first two outfitted. Misery would be my personal choice if you're willing to pony up the cash...in addition to the obvious benefit of the hero bonus, it also has that ballistic slot which provides some interesting options that other Stalkers don't have. I run mine as the "Brawling Misery" variant, which is basically a 5 LL "boat" w/ an LB-10X for extra punch.

4. enileph

enileph Star Lord

5M then, that and Misery whtn it is on sale.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

Im glad you asked this because i was thinking the exact same things you were...

6. TheWatchman

TheWatchman Dispossessed

Personally, I'd have gone either 3F, 3H and Misery or 5M, 3H and Misery. That way you would have a chassis for each of the main Assault mech roles:

Brawler

Missile Support

Direct Fire Brawler/Support.

7. Sir Tiddles

Sir Tiddles Active Member

I'm sorry I'm still kind of noobish. What exactly is a zombie slot and how is that a good thing?

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

A "zombie" mech is a mech with standard engine and weapons in the CT and/or head, so he can still fight with both side torsos destroyed. The most (in)famous example is the "Zombie Hugger" Centurion-A, which is just a real pain to get down (the easiest way is to leg it).

Thus, "zombie slot" refers to the CT energy hardpoint on the Stalkers 5M and Misery.

9. Sir Tiddles

Sir Tiddles Active Member

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for explaining it :p

10. Jay Z

Jay Z Well-Known Member

I have mastered all 6 Stalkers and this is my hierarchy for competitive matches

1. Misery (ACsomething + 2PPC Combos kill stuff good, right side as shield)
    2. 3F (4ERLL or 4PPC with the extra torso twist really helps)
    3. 5M (More missiles and CT energy slot for zombie. Most versatile variant)
    4. 5S (Dual AMS for LRMpocalypse)
    5. 3H (LRM ship with big single volleys
    6. 4N (yeah..... back up energy boat?)

My personal favourites for PUGs
    1. 5M (Splat brawler. Streak Brawler, Laserboat, Missile boat... etc. This is my favourite PUG Assualt)
    2. Misery (Cheesy AC20/PPC for pinpoint alpha goodness. I am running the classic PPC/Gauss atm.)
    3. 3F (Streak Brawler or Laserboat with dat twist)
    4. 3H (LRM Ship online. Very good at its job, best LRM ship in the game)
    5. 5S (Dual AMS Laserboat/LRMboat hybrid works great as a command mech)
    6. 4N (2PPC, 2LL, 2LRM5, 2Flamer because why not?)

I actually bought a second 5M just because.

I recommend the 5M and the 3F to complement your current 5S. If you want a hero, then get the Misery, it is very good. Or you could just get all 6 like me :D

11. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

If I wanted to master the stalkers but don't want to spend MCs for the Misery what would you suggest?

I play PUG so ofc I got the 5M since it's the most versatile.

Missing 2 now.

12. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Since you choose not to get Misery I would say the following.
    3F/5S. Choose one, they are similar except for some minor things. 3F for more twist and 5S for 2x AMS.
    3H. Ability to do large volley of LRM.
    There, you covered all types of Stalkers, with the most variation of play you can get.

**NEVER EVER GET 4N. THERE IS NO REASON TO DO SO. IT IS A GIMPY PIECE OF SHIT, WITH LESS HARDPOINTS AND NOTHING IN RETURN.**

13. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

Thanks !

I finally mastered them, I went with 3H, 5M, and 3F.

I must say after mastering it isn't like other chassis where the heat management gets so much better because usually you have tons of DHS anyway, but speed gets a really nice boost and you can actually follow the battle no problem, overall I'm satisfied with my stalkers !

14. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

I wouldn't endorse the STK-H, LRM20's have horribly wide spread even with Artemis and Tag. Like... misses on an Atlas.

15. Jay Z

Jay Z Well-Known Member

Misery, 3F, 5M, 5S are best in order. If you are not gettting the Misery, then pick up the 5S

16. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

I'm not an AMS fan so I got the 3H for some variety.

I still think that LRM20 aren't that good, but still viable with artemis and tag, but nothing wrong in using lrm15, and it's still the only stalker who fires them all at once.

17. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

The 3H is unique - the only one, which fires 20 Missiles from each Wing-Launcher in one single Blow. Although i don´t like the long Recycle Time, i still love this Chicken, because it's the only Assault, which can use 2x LRM20+ArtemisIV to it's full Power with enough Tonnage for Mountains of Missiles Ammo. So don´t talk bad bout this sexy Biaatch!

My recent Loadout:

before that i ran something cheaper&cooler:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  18. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Slightly less redundant now. IMO:
    3H is still king of LRM boats
    5S is a decent pulse boat, although you get better vehicle performance from Misery or 3F for brawling
    Misery is a beast
    3F is still good, especially if not using a build specifically designed for 4N or 5S
    5M is the only "free" zombie variant (CT slot).
    4N would make a good energy boat now

19. enileph

enileph Star Lord

5S bonus is too scattered, TWO types of laser focus on LPL and ML and missile heat.
    The 4N quirk makes more sense, really.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  20. MechaDonkey

MechaDonkey New Member

The 4N is great now, after the quirks. 6llas is pretty brutal

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast