#MWO Feb 4th Patch Notes: UI 2.0 Is Here (and other stuff)

Thread in 'Official 'Mech News' started by Michael, Feb 4, 2014.

1. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

That's it... i'm done and out of here.. played one game and realized that it's too much hassle for now. I'll keep lurking and waiting for patches to fix UI 2.fail.

2. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

Just use Alt+Enter to switch between windowed and full screen mode.

3. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Nearly 20 people are shown to be 'online', but they aren't...

4. Dr. Danger

Dr. Danger Advanced Member

Man, does it suck.
    Hate it.
    :angry: :angry: :angry:

5. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Cursor bug is back as well. Good job. :whacko:

6. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I won't be on the hate bandwagon. There is a lot of positives. They do know about bugs and have already stated that they will be pushing hot fixes. It also lays the groundwork for a lot of great features.

I know there's some pretty severe problems and certainly won't deny or excuse that. I'm just trying to see the positives in this new layout. Lots of potential, they just needed a little more time in the forge before selling it.

7. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

8. DeiPax

DeiPax Junior Member

UI 2.0 is what you get when a developer does a designers job, what our job is as players is to relate what is wrong with it.

I like the being able to sort and display mech with the filters provided. While I like the tiles, I would also prefer that the detail view was usable because I find the tiles to be visually noisy.

I like being able to mouse over the tiles and get summary information about that mech. While the summary information show the number of hard points, it it doesn't show you where those hard points are on the mech or what is in those hard points if anything. It also does not show you module information, if you want module information you have to "Configure" the mech and navigate to the correct place. If I was going to give the UI designer a suggestion as what to make the summary view look like, I would point them to smurphy's because that is exactly what I want ... clear, intuitive, easy to understand.

Actually loading out a mech is a freaking pain With the new load out design, you again, can not easily see what the hard points are on the mech or what is in the hard points in a simple view. In order to get that information, you have to click on each part of the mech on the left hand side and then hope you know how to translate the color coding of the hard points on the right hand side and all the extra data. When actually loading out a mech and trying to figure out weight, you have to hunt for the weight all over the screen ... until you realize that it is a very small number at the bottom.

The tile view of selecting equipment is visually noisy, I don't need little pictures, what I would like is a list view where I could hover over the particular item and get specific and then drag and drop my selection to the appropriate spot on my mech. Again, I would suggest the developer who designed this to look over smurphy's design as it is intuitive and easy to understand with the right amount of information.

The U.I 2.0 changes have a lot of potential, but it is rough and needs a lot of polish.

Another small irritant was the fact that in order to get out of the group screen and back to your load out screen, you have to click on the X box that isn't on the group dialog but your friend dialog box on the far right of the screen. Honestly, who thought that was a good idea?

9. Yohgi

Yohgi Active Member

Modifying your loadout on a mech is way more painful than it was in the old UI. There's no reason for that, it's just a crappy UI design and implementation. Are they just too proud to use what smurfy has?

10. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

It took me so long too figure out where my weapons and engines were that I gave up and never launched into a match.

It's an issue of 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. The old UI was plain and poorly laid out. The new ui is slow, pretty, buggy and blatantly missing features.

To clarify, I think it's a considerable step in the right direction, but it's neither feature-complete nor reliable. This would have been tolerable in beta, but it's unacceptable now.

11. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Didn't you hear, they just removed the BETA sticker.. that was their coming out.

12. MntRunner

MntRunner Junior Member

I have the same feelings as you. It's got a lot of problems, but at the same time it's got a lot of potential. It kind of reminds me of UI 1.0, with UI 1.5 being the refined version. From what I remember it was a a few months transition from UI 1.0 to 1.5. They'll probably improve UI 2.0 quicker since they've said that it meshes much better with the backend database. Aslo correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they would have a smurfy style mechlab coming in March. Or was it May?

13. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Todays patch to fix a couple things... "I'm pleased to announce..." kind of pissed me off. You're happy that you have fixes for a COUPLE things out of the plethora of issues? Should have opened with "We apologize for the issues being experienced..." or something along those lines. Instead of rejoicing in the fact that their F*** ups are being fixed. LETS CELEBRATE WE FIXED TWO THINGS YAY FOR US... :angry:

14. Vaeden

Vaeden Active Member

I think I'm the only one that isn't hating the UI.... although they really should have put out a tutorial that you could run through when you first use it. They could have made it easier to gear up your mech, such as being able to filter between STD anXL engines.

15. Vaeden

Vaeden Active Member

OK found something that trips my trigger in the new UI ...I know i have complete basics on 2 Cents but i don't know which and the game wont show me....i never should have sold them, but i was new and didn't pilot them well at the time.

16. epikt

epikt Benefactor

That's indeed very annoying.

17. Dr. Danger

Stability of the game ist completely gone.

I get memory allocation errors for the cry engine, and crashes and complete freezes in game.

Might work to reinstall?

18. thefish

thefish New Member

Does not help :(

19. Dr. Danger

Did reinstall, UI graphics improved, but in-game FPS dropped, lowest resolution to choose is 1208x720...

After an hour game crashed at the start of match.

How is it that a change in the UI messes with the game itself?

20. Vaeden

Vaeden Active Member

I have been lucky that my problems have all been about finding out where stuff is located on the new UI...no graphical errors ,so far

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast