#MWO Upcoming UI 2.0 Test on Public Test Server

Thread in 'Official 'Mech News' started by Excalibaard, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

I can't be there, but perhaps it's nice for you guys to take a look around in UI2.0 and see if it's any good (so I can justify getting more MC again, maybe for a heavy metal or ilya when they are on sale again :x)

2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Ah, FINALLY. It's like a fruit that is just about to ripen. But first, I hope to examine before I bite it.

3. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

Not logging in after being gone for so long just for this - but - will actually bother to watch a stream or 2.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I'll try to be here to test it - just hope I won't mess with the time difference :mellow: - and record and upload few videos.
    I hope this test means its about to be released soon, but that was what I already hoped about the first public test, 7 months ago...

5. Tristan Lorius

Tristan Lorius Active Member

it is SO GOOD!!! loadsa money :blush:

6. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

I can't find anyone streaming it on twitch currently :(
    edit: found 1 guy but it's a bad quality... might have to wait for youtubers.

7. Thibideau Osis

Thibideau Osis Star Lord

Hail,

I did run a stream on twitch but it appears the site is having issues today and I to be honest my disappointment came through pretty heavy now that I watch it.

This is the first time I have looked at UI v2.0 and my impressions are not good. The interface has no flow to it, you end up jumping back and forth across the screen (over 3/4 of the screen) just switch to different spots on the Mech. The Center panel is huge and the display is tiny where you add components and weapons, plus I do not see a summary page (wtf?).

95% of the information in the huge center panel is useless and options are really limited to fine tune choices. Also I do not see a load build choice, it is all manual still (makes no sense) and you should be able to quick load a saved build if you have all the engines, components, etc.

The controls section has no clear button yet, plus the joystick section is missing. My joystick is being picked up but I cannot remap anything and I am spinning around (going to have to unplug everything).

If they just added the ability to sort Mechs and rename the original interface is just fine. I still really want to be able to pick and config and load a Mech, not have to build it manually each time.

The Mechs look good, the way they have laid out the paint options is poor as you need to go through each colour (need filter options). However once painted I do not spend much time redoing so it is not that bad.

I am really worried about building and adjusting builds, looks like it will be a slow process the sound effect is annoying as hell.

Custom builds for Marik Civil War will be time consuming with this interface (maybe they have unreleased shortcuts).

My rating is 3.5/10

8. The Verge

Video is OTW ATM. will be done in 2 hours.

9. Business

Business Advanced Member

Pros:
    It looks great, absolutely---you can appreciate more of the mech's detail
    Finally don't have to scroll through mechs to find what you're looking for and just sort by weight class, champion, etc
    Inventory on home screen--being able to sell anything and see the quantity of whatever item that isn't on a mech is nice
    Armor values are applied on the same screen as the loadout. Much faster!
    You can fullscreen the mechbay, yay!

Cons:
    You can't see what your mech has in terms of weapons and equipment if you don't go in and check each part of the mech individually. A shortcut on the weapons is checking the weapon grouping, though.
    You don't know what a mech has for equipment, weapons or hardpoints before buying it.
    Camo/color selector is stupid as hell. You have to scroll through them one at a time instead of just having the palette of options and you can't even use the arrow keys to make it faster.
    Inventory on home screen is the only place you can sell a mech---maybe not a bad idea to avoid accidentally doing that, but it is rather obscure
    It'd be nice if the part of the mech you were working on was highlighted like the current UI.
    Tonnage information as your building a mech is in a terrible spot all the way down at the bottom of the screen, same with firepower and heat.

Generally, building a mech is more of a pain in the ass. There's no design flow to this at all, like each screen was done by a separate team. Information you need is an afterthought in the design while information that's just nice to know is more upfront. I'd like to be able to sort by a chassis and not JUST the weight class, too, because the second you select one category it becomes a clusterfuck of mechs in front of you.

I'll be posting in their feedback section but this is what I've gathered so far.

edit: oh and now it won't let me log in. sweet

10. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Just as I had feared then? :( They make it all 'we're working on it, february patch will be sprinkling fairy dust zomg so cool amazing awesome radical' but they're making a half-assed job of it as ever?

If you remake something, remake it good.

11. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

How hard can it be to make a mechlab very similar to Smurfy? I mean seriously, just give us something easy to use when we are actually building the damn mech. You can leave the "oooo"s and "aaaaa"s to the camo section or a basic home-screen. I never understood why anyone would want to see the component on the mech while they are adding equipment to it. To admire how pretty the cannon looks? LEAVE IT FOR ANOTHER SCREEN. Like Business said "Information you need is an afterthought in the design while information that's just nice to know is more upfront". I don't need to see what the equipment does to the look of the mech, that is SECONDARY. I'll see what the mech looks like when it is done, and more than likely, I'm not going to be picking a weapon because it "looks cool" on the mech. I doubt much of anyone thinks that way. Really wish they just had the good'ol single layout that shows ALL of the components, slots, data, tonnage and everything instead of clicking on one component at a time. Extremely unnecessary IMO

12. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

don't worry guys, it was only 8+ months of work to make something worse... they'll work on other stuff soon!

13. skidog2k3

skidog2k3 Dispossessed

(sigh) :( Mechwarrior 4's mechlab was better than this... POC Have none of these guys even played any of the previous titles?
    Smurfy's drag & drop is great... give us that and scrap this... sad excuse for an interface...

14. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Exactly my though. The mechlab is badly designed, not intuitive at all.
    Like Solahma I'd like something like Smurfy's, simple drag&drop and with a simple, yet extremely comprehensive, overall vision of the mech. In the UI2.0 as it was shown tonight, even more than on the current UI, you have no overall vision of your mech when you're in the mechlab (why do we all build our mechs on Smurfy's?)

At first I wanted to make a commented video of it, but I'm lazy. So I give you the raw video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-G16nFbNMI

I really don't understand how this took more than 8 months of development. It's not that different than the current IU, and actually it looks the same as what was shown last July (that I might be wrong since I did not personally tested it - I only watched videos).

15. ReconSaint

ReconSaint Star Lord

I'm not overly excited about it..

Its pretty, but all the vomited information on the screen makes me not know where to look.

16. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Dispossessed

Thanks for the video Epikt. I didn't login to the test server so it was useful for me.

Too early for me to form a proper opinion but at the moment it seems like a step in the right direction in most cases but a step back in others. Overall positive. The negatives will probably be easily addressed in time with user feedback.

17. Bolththrower

Bolththrower Star Lord

From Epikts video it looks exactly the same as it did in July and that nothing really has changed. Makes me sad that it seems non of the feedback from july has been implemented, now granted i haven't tried it myself so i might be wrong but it dont seem like much have changed.

It just feels like they'll release a UO 1.5 and will keep telling us " but wait its not done yet there's more, just stick around a few month longer and see" just to squeeze a few more bucks out of those who still haven't closed their wallets.... Yeah like we haven't heard that before (CW will be out in 3 months...)

18. The Verge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaP2DoULn3Y

my initial impressions.

19. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Dispossessed

Why is your milk so loud?

20. Bolththrower

Bolththrower Star Lord

Yes Vegere why?

[​IMG]

;)