New mouse for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by Aylek, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Aylek

Aylek Moderator Staff Member

So my trusty and very old Logitech MX510 (!) starts to leave me here and then. I used that thing for more than 10 years now. It survived D2 clickfests, my whole WoW and LOTRO adventures as well as other games and of course MW:O until today. But I think the time has come for a new one.

This is the basic outline:
    - at least 5 buttons, but not a second keybord like the Razer Naga
    - ergonomic preferred, but not a must-have
    - no cordless device

It shouldn't be that difficult, but it turned out to be a nightmare.

I took a look at these and tried to gather as much information as possible, but choosing one still isn't easy.

-> various Logitech mice - they seem to be a lot worse than a decade ago, especially when it comes to quality :angry:
    -> Razer Naga Hex
    -> Steelseries Sensei
    -> Steelseries Sensei Raw
    -> several Mad Catz mice
    -> Roccat Kone
    -> ...

Maybe one of you can help me in this regard? What are you guys using for blowing up mechs?

2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend the Logitech G 500s.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104857
    It's an upgrade of the G500, but it has my favorite feature on a mouse. Easy Software usage, and an unlock-able scroll wheel. The wheel lets you scroll HUGE documents in a flash, and has worked great for me.

Also, I believe Logitech has a 3 year warranty on their mice, which is always nice.

Also, the Mad Cat's R.A.T series works quite well. I don't use them, but a few of my friends have them and like them just as much.

3. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Dispossessed

I use a Razer "Death Adder" and it works fine for me. But it only has 4 buttons.

4. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

I just got a new mouse, but my budget was very low and I barely use sidebuttons, so I ordered a Roccat Lua Tri-Button (actually has 4 buttons, DPI-switch as 4th).
    I have also been considering the Steelseries Sensei [RAW] (I for one don't like ergonomic mouses that are skewed based on which hand you're using), but you should get one with rubberized finish (this counts for other steelseries mice as well), as the other tends to get extremely slippery and unpleasant to use.
    Logitech G500 is really good according to reviews, but as I said above I prefer ambidextrous designs fir my grip style and besides that it's no longer available here.
    I didn't look as extensively at Razer or Mad Catz mice because they were above the price I wanted to pay (besides that in the reviews/comparisons I've read, Razer was worse than previously described mouse in comfortability)

One thing that I did find quite a few times is that Roccat mice have a tendency to die pretty early, at least the Kone. My upcoming (Still in shipping) Roccat Lua only costs €26,- so there it's less of a problem but with bigger investments it's something to consider.

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

What happened to your MX510?
    I heard that there are lots of problems because of the cord pulling on the plug (inside the mouse). Giving some slack to the cord might solve the problem (see this picture: in blue, the plug; in red, the cord blocking system that become lose with time, you might need to glue it).

Anyway, I sympathize. I absolutely love my MX518 (7 or 8 years old now) and I really don't know what mouse I'd choose if she broke.
    So I'll follow this thread with interest, and hopefully I won't need it.

6. SAI Peregrinus

SAI Peregrinus Advanced Member

I've been liking the Corsair M90 quite a lot.
    Pros:
    Great surface tracking.
    3+1 DPI settings (3 normal, 1 as a "sniper" button that works when held down)
    Lift detection
    Good side button layout.
    6 profiles can be stored in hardware, macros will work without the driver installed.
    Good design, solid construction (aluminium base plate)
    Very nice braided cord.
    Can turn off the bright light under the logo.

Cons:
    Side buttons are a bit hard to press (actuation force, not location)
    Macro software can't send a mouse click, only keyboard commands. Minor, mitigated via AutoHotkey.
    Difficult to disassemble for cleaning (screws under 2 of the teflon pads.)
    Made for slightly larger hands than mine (I have very small hands for a male. About 18cm (7") from wrist to tip of the middle finger.)

7. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Legendary Member

http://wesaves.com/products/steelseries-world-of-warcraft-mmo-legendary-edition
    [​IMG]
    [img width=600 height=345]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0225/3831/products/62050_angle_image_1_grande.png?v=1377506908[/img]
    [img width=261 height=454]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0225/3831/products/62050_top_image_grande.png?v=1377506945[/img]

I used a Logitech forever. It was a four button - worked alright, but, I wanted more control. I ordered a CoolerMaster Storm Havoc and returned it within two weeks. It just felt very cheaply made and the positioning of the side buttons was set way too far back. The back thumb button was under the heel of my hand. I thought about trying a Storm Sentinel Advance II, but, the feeling of the construction turned me off.

However, with the SteelSeries I got, everything it set perfectly. Very easy to get to the FOUR thumb buttons (unlike Razer Nagas which are terribly counterintuitive) the pinkie button is comfortable and the extra buttons around the scroll wheel are very handy. 11 buttons, easily programmable, solid feel, good layout, very ergonomic. I'm a fan.

8. Marec

Marec Well-Known Member

I think my next mouse will be a mad catz since it can be completely customized to fit your hand. I'm using a Logitech G700 right now, and while the mouse is sound, it doesn't quiet fit my hand, so half of the buttons are awkward to use and I end up NOT using them which kind of defeats the purpose. And I've had carpal tunnel syndrom too often to save a few bucks on the mouse at the expense of ergonomics.

9. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

I second the G500, it's worked fantastic for the past 3 years. Although, there is one issue with the mouse. The sensor is placed in a very poor position that creates cursor acceleration that cannot be removed. For tournament FPS players, this might cause an issue, but for casual play it is perfectly fine. I've only been able to notice the issue when purposefully trying to measure it in a controlled environment.

Anyway, I wouldn't say Logitech is poor quality nowadays. I've been using their products for the past 5 years with zero issues...

10. Aylek

The cord is still fine, but the left mouse button doesn't react as promptly as I am used to anymore. I need to press it quite deliberatly, which I find to be pretty disturbing.

I recently thought I could replace it with it's successor, the MX518 - only to find out it's out of production as well. Oh my...

The 500S looks fine and it's my current favorite, but according to some recommendations at Amazon it seems as if some of them are beeping with a high-frequency noise when in use, but it also seems that this only applies to some of them. Can anyone confirm on this?

11. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

When I'm in the market for a few mouse I will be looking up the Razer Death Adder. A few of my clan mates use it and swear by it.

12. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

The Death Adder is a great mouse, my only gripe with it is only 2 thumb buttons and no additional buttons to speak of really. I find additional mouse buttons on the G500 very helpful in MWO. Here is how I set mine up:

Same would apply to a G500s

[​IMG]

13. Aylek

Looks nice. Which one is this?

14. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

The picture is a Logitech G500, but you would get the G500s that Verg suggested. It just a newer version.

15. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

It's a newer version, yes, but it's appearance is the only change. that, and the sensor inside the mouse.

16. Aylek

This seems to be rather problematic, can anyone confirm this weakness? This is very discouraging for me.

Also, what about the Mad Catz models? The R.A.T. 5 looks tempting as well.

[​IMG]

17. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

Haven't tried their mice, but their Joysticks are horrid quality...

18. Marec

Marec Well-Known Member

A guildie of mine has a rat and is very happy. As for Joysticks - don't judge them by their PS3/PC cheapo stuff, they also own the Saitek brand, and Saitek X52 is as good as they come, short of a Thrustmaster Warthog for 2-3 times the price.

19. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

That RAT Mouse looks extremely fragile and problematic. It also reminds me of something from the movie Screamers.

20. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

All RAT mouses I've seen look like that, afaik basically everything is a module and you can fully customize it to your hand, at a price.