New PC320 Sennheiser headset mixed reviews :X

Discussion in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by Michael, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

So I got a new Sennheiser PC320 headset. I know this is a decent headset as @Bolththrower uses it and he sounds very clear... however when I plugged it in to the back of my mb it seems like the audio is much more feint than my old Soundblaster Arena headset (USB headset).

Anyone have any idea on how to set these up so they are dialed in?

2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

sounds like you need to adjust a few settings on your software. Whatever Drivers you have for your audio, should have some Software that comes with them that lets you change those settings.

3. Michael

Thanks@Vergere sadly there were no drivers that came with this headset HOWEVER I did download the audio latest drivers for my motherboard and installed those and I've been able to dial things up pretty well now. Not as much deep bass as I would like but hey its a gaming headset and not Dr. Dre gear LOL

The Verge likes this.
  4. Michael

Oddly I notice that these are not as good as my USB headset was and they were, when not on sale, twice the price. Could be that these require a soundcard instead of onboard MB audio? Seems to be a lot of crackle on the low end of the scale. Anything with base in it sounds meh at best. Onboard audio not pushing enough juice to actually power the headphones?

5. The Verge

What Motherboard do you have?

6. Michael

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 Z68

7. The Verge

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

After reading this, it looks like you could try different drivers for your sound chip. I think the better drivers would be dolby digital driver, and I managed to find some.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=392085

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-home-theater-v4.html

This should let you boost your volume up. From the reviews I've read of your headset, they are as middle of the road as they come. Not great anything, just functional.

Bolththrower likes this.
  8. Michael

Yeah they work fine for Bolt he said but he doesn't really have a comparison. For me, I prefer a deeper bass than these things have. My old Soundblaster Arena headset was pretty good... Was a USB headset and takes up a USB slot but what can you do. I might order another Arena and then keep both for when I build the new machine and see which I like better at that time.

9. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

USB headsets can draw more power than analog in order to power larger drivers. Sennheiser is more of an audiophile sound, more balanced.

10. Michael

Yeah, everything I am reading says that they should be plugged in to soundcards and not use onboard audio if you want to really make their potential. That is why I am getting the snap crackle pop at louder volumes... Also, the recording volume is barely a blip when I try and use "Sound Recorder".

With my Soundblaster Arena headset I got a lot more volume, a lot more low end and the microphone bit was easy. I'm just ordered another Arena off Ebay since they are cheap cheap ($60.00 US) since I know that works. The problem now is that I will have to re-tune everything.

I am going to keep these Sennheisers though as I plan on building a rig for Star Citzen and probably going independent audio card versus onboard. I'll test the Sennheiser on that. One thing I will say about these sennheiser is that they feel comfy. Not as harsh on the ears as my Arena but then again not as big in the low end sounds either :(

The Verge likes this.
  11. Michael

The Razer Blackwidow Chroma keyboard solved my issues with the motherboard audio being underpowered. This keyboard rocks and it has an audio out and mic in jack built in to the side of the keyboard which is powered by two USB cables to the PC.

This headset is actually quite nice. Looks like I'll be keeping that Soundblaster Arena headset for my sons computer or as a backup in case this breaks. Just tuck it away in the closet and leave it there.

The Verge likes this.