[News] CW Phase 2

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Grantham Besat, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Grantham Besat

Grantham Besat New Member

So faction will be a hard rule when selecting mechs for CW. So houses and merc units use IS chas is and the first wave clans and dagger star clan folks use clan mechs. Your faction will restrict what planets you can bid to defend pr form 12 mans to attack. So the faction game mode is going to be lore based tech wise. It will also require lots of people to do well. Whats your thoughts based on what they posted today.

2. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

Extended matches on bigger maps for control of planets? Sounds almost too good to be true. Id like to see IS vs clans balanced before in one or another way (10v12 or whatever), other than that i'm all into it. The attack/defense mechanism sounds like it has some potential for exploiting, but we will see in practice.

3. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Not to cramp on yourthread OP but this is the stuff for CW 2. There are HUGE changes here.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170743-community-warfare-phase-2/page__pid__3708875#entry3708875

OPT-IN TO COMMUNITY WARFARE

When a player clicks the Faction tab, they are opting into Community Warfare gameplay. This means they will be accepting the fact that teams will be split into IS vs Clan ‘Mechs and cannot mix the two technologies.

INTERACTIVE INNER-SPHERE MAP

The Inner-Sphere Map displays the status of the Inner Sphere in terms of borders and conflicts. It shows all planets that we have data for.

INTERACTIVITY
    •Players can pan the map.
    •Players can zoom in/out on the map.
    •Players can click a planet.

PLANET DETAILS

When a planet is clicked, an information panel should show the planet’s detailed information:
    •Planet Name
    •Planet Faction Affiliation
    •Occupying Unit (If applicable)
    •Any lore from BT we can add (Population, temperature, lore facts)
    •Indicate if the planet is contested or not (see below)

CONTESTED PLANETS

When a planet is contested, the warring factions are fighting over who will control the planet and reap the associated rewards. For each planet, there is an attacking Faction Unit and a defending Faction Unit.
    •Contested planets are specially marked on the IS map and can be identified at all zoom levels.
    •Contested planets are assignable by the design team.

ENGAGING IN PLANETARY CONQUEST

During peak player count times throughout the day, planetary control matches will be kicked off within the Faction tab. Players will see planets on the Inner Sphere map which are currently contested and be able to choose to be part of the fight.

A PLAYER’S FACTION SELECTION

The faction a player has aligned to will be a hard rule as to which ‘Mechs they can use and which planets they can attack/defend.

GROUPS IN COMMUNITY WARFARE

Groups in community warfare will be hard limited to players in the same unit. This is to re-enforce faction gameplay so you will not see groups of mixed Kurita and Davion for example.

INITIATING AN ATTACK

Initial plan is to have initiation of an attack can only be done by a 12-man unit group. The group leader will select a planet and click the attack button.

PRIORITIZATION OF GROUPS

Attacking groups are always placed in a single queue in a first-in first-out logistics order (FIFO). Defending groups are placed in queue and are given the opportunity to choose their group’s ‘Mech weight class build to meet the requirements of the defending team for the given match.

DEFENDING TEAM QUEUE

There are 2 types of defenders for a planet. Contract defenders are the Unit that won the right to defend a planet through the bidding system. Faction defenders are the rest of the players who can defend the planet but are not part of the contract defending unit.

CONTRACT DEFENDERS
    •When an attack is first triggered, a notification is sent to all members of the unit that is part of the contract defenders.
    •The contract defenders have [2] minutes to respond by creating a 12-man unit team and clicking the defend button.

FACTION DEFENDERS
    •If the [2] minute limit expires, the remaining slots available on the team are made publically available.
    •When this release to faction defenders happens, all faction players are notified via an in-game messaging system.
    •The remaining slots are filled by faction defenders in priority order in which they clicked the defend button.
    •Faction defenders when allowed to join a team are given [30] seconds to choose their ‘Mechs to fit the available slots.

DROP DECKS

A drop deck is a selection of 4 ‘Mechs in the player’s inventory. Each of the 4 ‘Mechs must be one of each weight class (one light, one medium, one heavy, one assault). All 4 ‘Mechs must belong to the same technology core (IS or Clan). The Drop Deck is a means for the player to quickly choose their favorite ‘Mech of a specific weight class when in the defender queue outlined above.

The Drop Deck will display the following:
    •Currently chosen Light ‘Mech thumbnail
    •Currently chosen Medium ‘Mech thumbnail
    •Currently chosen Heavy ‘Mech thumbnail
    •Current chosen Assault ‘Mech thumbnail
    •A drop down in each 'Mech panel will allow the player to change a 'Mech for an owned, same weight class 'Mech.

PLANETARY CONQUEST GAME-MODE

This new game mode and map is planned to be part of the map/game mode cycle of matches for Community Warfare.

To make taking a planet feel epic, a new game mode would bring the feeling of longer matches and standoffs. Instead of playing a series of death match games to decide who conquers a planet, this new attack/defend game mode would let players feel like they’re truly fighting over something.

Invasion incorporates an attacking drop zone (where attackers spawn) and a defensive base (defenders spawn). The idea is that the attackers destroy the defenders base and defensive structures. At a severe choke point location on the map, a set of defensive barriers prevent the attackers (those who do not have jump jets) from proceeding beyond this point. If the attackers use high ground positions and take out the power plants holding the magnetic doors shut, the doors will lose power and a safety mechanic opens the doors allowing the attackers through.

INVASION MODE - MAP REQUIREMENTS
    •Maps must have longer travel times to point of first contact. This is important because it also increases the time it takes for re-enforcements (respawns) to arrive back into battle.
    •Maps must have multiple choke points that encase the defensive barriers. Too few choke points and the defenders will have too great of an advantage focus firing on the points of passage.
    •Choke points must provide some means of destroying power generators on the defender’s side of the defensive barriers.
    •Choke points should be protected by defensive turrets.
    •Defensive barriers should be connected to a power plant.
    •Destroying power plants open the connected barriers.
    •Gates should open slowly allowing players to “slice the pie” and engage.
    •Light ‘Mechs with jump jets should be able to barely make it over the barriers if they so choose.

4. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Coincidentally, 10 vs 12 is off the table for the moment according to one of their recent posts.

5. Grantham Besat

Grantham Besat New Member

You didn't cramp it at all you just expanded it in a way my phone wont let me lol. Main thing is it will be lore based mechs so no timberwolves in merc units until they jump the time line by a good five years or more.

6. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Yup:

Clan Faction in CW = Clan mechs only (hint clan add on to round them out I guess...)
    Merc Faction in CW = IS mechs only (confirmed on twitter etc as was queried by a few people)
    IS Faction in CW = IS mechs only

Your faction determines which battles you're eligible to join.

7. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

Will simmer on this tonight and my thoughts post tomorrow.

8. Midnite7175

Midnite7175 Advanced Member

Of course they are putting more clanners into the fight to even the weight balance a lil more. That's why.... and of courde money... there's also that.

Please note that salvage will be available in the far future, allowing IS-units to drive Clantech as well. Although details in this matter are scarce.
    And as the timeline progresses there will be IS-Omnis as well. I'm looking at you Hauptmann, oh, look there's a cute Owens as well, awwww.... Aaaaaaand... AC/DC plays "Thunder" in the background: "SUNDER! ahahahaaaaahahahaaaahaaaa! SUNDER!" :D

But: Mixtech will not make an appereance here... at least that's what Paul said.

9. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Have been simmering on it a while but decided to keep my rage banked and waiting....

Its not as bad as my first reading but my huge bugbear is probably the same as most people - the inability to use all my mechs in CW. I fully accept the reasons its just ........ *suppresses* :p

Suspect mysteriously I'm going to embrace life flipping between two units - one House Davion and the other some random clan thats less likely from lore to fight them.

Immersion breaking 101. :blush:

10. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Hmmm

I suppose that these are separate matches from the regular queue? Otherwise a lot of people will not be able to use their shiny clan mechs at all...

11. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Ok this was interesting as I presumed that it was all still at planning (and therefore just fluff):

12. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Totally seperate. They keep emphasising that.

13. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

A few more useful posts:

14. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

I like most of what was announced/teased. There are obvious issues that will require solutions and a lot of work that needs to be done on the UI end to make this all work. They have

15. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

The biggest thing that makes this a downer is that I tend to bounce between my mechs a lot. I'll spastically take my Dire Wolves, Kit Foxes, Summoners, Novas, Raven, Jenner, Ember, Cataphract, Cicada, and Spider into matches, switching up every one or two matches to keep things interesting. Going to be annoying to have to either ignore CW, or just shelf more than half the mechs I like to play :(

16. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

It should have been expected that mech choices would be limited for CW. Or else it would all be pretty meaningless.

17. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Maybe but we lived in hope as after all Prince Victor Steiner-Davion did use a Direwolf. ;)

18. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

maybe not for the start, but I would imagine they eventually let you have a IS and Clan profile where you can switch between the two (but still get locked into 1 house or 1 clan).

19. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I'm waiting for Soy or Jacob to weigh in on this... should be interesting!

20. Roosterfish

Roosterfish Well-Known Member

It looks good on paper. I do question whether or not it will make it into the game.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast