PGI's current Mech Sale Model [Discussion + Poll]

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Blagg Zear, Apr 29, 2016.

Do you like the current Sale Model or..

1. Want the old Multiple Chassis Packages back

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Like the current Model (single Chassis + Addons)

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Want more a la carte options (single Variants selection, camos etc)

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Other (pls explain what)

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Well, somehow i liked the big Packages with great value for the Bucks of the last yrs. But now not sure how the current Sales Model trajects the traditional idea 'buy more for less money'.

That's why I skipped many of the latest announced Mechs, which i would have bought in a classic Collection Package for good Bang for the Bucks.

So what's your feedback? PGI is going ok, or not?

Shock likes this.
  2. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

I actually do like the current mode, allthough I have to admit it's a bit prizey when it comes to lower weight range.

In the old model of packages they included mechs I never would pilot on purpose. That's why I picked the Hellbringer a la carte instead of getting the whole Wave 2 package - both Ice Ferret and Myst Lynx looked terrible on paper (and still do!).

Same with other, partly even older packs like the Phoenix one. The only mechs out of those I liked initially were the SHDs, but now in the MWO world of quirks both the BLRs and the TDRs do belong in every semi competetive minded player's or FP enthusiast's garage. Especially the TDRs were considered only borderline playable by a huge majority of players in the beginning - until the introduction of quirks.

The current model allows players to nicely pick what they want to buy and especially honors those 'quick' (1 month) with their decision with a lot of stuff worth quite a bit of in game money / currency. Without those 'early adoptor awards' a lot of the packages are loosing a lot of appeal.

The pricing model is not without failure, though, as it doesn't differentiate between the mechs' weight, resulting in a lot more 'bang for the buck' when it comes to heavies or even assaults. Simply compare the Kodiak and Viper packages and you know where I am coming from. One can argue not every player likes to pilot heavies or assaults but prefer fast mediums and lights instead, but this still leaves a bitter taste with me. The paradigm change can be seen best when it comes to the hero mechs as they are all offered for US$ 15 regardless of weight in the new system, whereas hero mechs (IS) bought in the game will always be 75 MC per ton when .

Speaking of MC, those are also pushed back slightly by the new system as contrary to the old days the preferred way of selling stuff is by charging cash directly.

And allthough there are a lot of good arguments against it, I still prefer the new system simply because I get to directly pick the mechs I do want and am not oblieged to stuff my garage with mechs I wouldn't have bothered with at all otherwise. Yes, I am looking at you, Panthers and Enforcers...

While I do think the pricing for a standard pack is about right for heavies and most mediums, it's obv. a bargain when it comes to the Kodiak, but pretty much feels like a rip off when thinking about the Phoenix Hawk or the Viper. And don't ask what people will say if PGI ever dares to offer that 20t Omnimech at the same rate...

While the same holds true for me when it comes to the US$ 15 for hero mechs, doubling the prices of a 'collector' edition in comparison to the standard pack simply while only adding a standard variant with special skin and a +30% CBill quirk doesn't feel right (allthough I have to admit I bit the bullet with MAD, WHM and KDK...). I think PGI would sell a lot more of the collector editions if they only where US$ 30 instead of the 40 they are asking for at the moment.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  3. Gasboy

Gasboy Advanced Member

In a way it's better.

The IS packs were 80 bucks, you got 4 chassis with 3 variants each. Single chassis for 20 bucks and 3 variants is the same thing. The reinforcements and hero options are a bit pricier, but not horrible.

It's the clan packs where you'll save, 20 bucks per chassis instead of 30.

4. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

IMO this is better.

In the packs, if you wanted just the light mech you also paid $20. The only thing we're missing from this price currently is a special custom geometry/pattern, which you can still get if you really want to. Together with that you get a deal (sometimes) for a hero mech/extra variants, and the ability to get stuff basically 'a la carte' without having to pay extra because you're not following the pack rules of light -> assault.

5. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Aylek summed it up pretty accurately on all counts. The bang for buck on the Wave package is much better, which also follows a greater grind of mechs you'll rarely use, but it does add variety. If you only play meta, so be it, but also realize today's trashcan can be tomorrows golden timber wolf (like the TDR), so having some of the "useless" mechs might not be so bad in the long run.

$20 for collectors edition is a lot, maybe $10, maybe. All that nets you is two identical mechs, which has no point. Say if you had a regular collection for $20 (or better yet $15) and collectors for $5 more, that would make more sense. In this case the collectors would replace the one mech variant with the collectors variant. Or as Aylek said, lower the price by $10 of the collectors and offer the same as now. I do understand that the Collectors edition targets peoples with an itch to scratch and an overflowing wallet (or poor wallet control) a-la golden mech buyers.

I have only bought packages with early adopters bonuses, without them, the package seems.... much lighter, but it's all relative. I still like getting the 4th variant as part of the early adopters package. To me, that was the best bonus.

Aylek and Excalibaard like this.
  6. Karl TenBrew

Karl TenBrew Star Lord

Not needing to slog through the mechs that are generally lesser value just to hit the higher mechs or effectively pay a penalty for ala carte is good in general compared to the larger packages, especially if you're snagging the early adopter rewards...***by comparison to the current pricing structure.***

I can't stress that last part enough, especially considering how many chasis and variants are now in game. The core issue is still the outright pricing, though. Sure, ***by comparison*** to MC pricing of regular chasis and heros, picking up the ala carte packs is generally either a wash or a bit of savings. But it remains that you are paying $15-20 just to get a C-Bill bonus variant, and about the same for the collection of multiple regular variants that are otherwise going to be purchasable with C-Bills. And, again, at the current pricing structure that's good for an assault, ok for a heavy, not the best deal for a medium, and atrocious for a light. The what you pay for what you get just doesn't hold up as well to other games. It sorrrrrt of did back when there weren't as many options in game, but now it's just a huge drain that less whales are able to support (see the regular crowd on this site for witness of the revolving door). Because of the sales that do go on, players do have to option to wait for a much better deal (wait for 20% MC bonus, wait for 50% sale). But the trick is that even at the sale prices the benefit only starts to come into the range of other games.

I stand by what I've been saying since the beginning. If PGI wants to entice casuals AND fans to spend more, the cost needs to go down, but not too dramatically. After all, incentivizing early release for more money and other things do keep the content cycle going and keep PGI going. Not a market wizard, but I'm still guessing a 20-35% overall price reduction would get the reluctant on board and serve the dual purpose of retaining more players and getting wallets to open more in the long run.

7. Aramuside

Aramuside Star Lord

Aylek nicely summarised it but for me it comes down to if you get the preorder bonuses - if you do it feels good value. If you don't only the assaults seems value.

8. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

Have to agree with others that said the current model is better. The Mauler was the only Resistance 2 mech I was really interested in but there was no option to get it under $80.

9. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

I think the current model is better... if you get the early adopter rewards.
    I remember buying in to the Phoenix package, back before the clans, when I was still interested in supporting development of the game and the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. last time i bought into a package..
    IMO akin to buying an album because you like a song and having the rest of the album suck A$$... sorry, showing my age there.

enileph likes this.
  10. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Current one allows for more reasonable choice. But unless you get early adaptor the discount is much lower.
    Old system is good only if you want everything.

But yes either way MC is only useful now for getting colors and paintjobs.

If the packages are cheaper I am sure more would buy though.

11. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Is this game still going? They haven't shut the servers down yet?

(ducks and hides from all the vegetables being thrown at him)

PyckenZot and Arcturus Kerensky like this.
  12. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Night Gyr pre order is up apparently...

13. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

Yeah, I just got that too.

14. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

15. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Torso and head mounted hardpoints looks really good, but i might not jump on it. It is an OmniMech, but those mandatory JJs again and it's slower than a Timber, so don't know.

16. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

For the Resistance packs, there was the option to buy each chassis A-La-Carte for $35, which is in-line with the Standard Pack + Hero packages now.

17. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Yes, they still have that option.

Let's say they had a Flea, Phoenix Hawk, Maurauder and Cyclops for $80, that would have been one hell of a deal, right now, you will pay $35 per chassis, or $140. Even without the early adopters bonus, it would still be a better value at $80 vs $140. Let's say the Flea and Phoenix Hawk are horrible, which is extremely likely. The Marauder is ok, the Cyclops is looking to be similar to a Mauler (very good).

18. Sassafras

Resistance 2 with its preorders was probably the pinnacle of value. For $80 you got the Black Knight and Mauler, which are probably the top of their respective weight classes right now, the Crab is a pretty good Medium energy boat, and the Wolfhound is a decent 35-tonner. Resistance 1 was probably the worst of the IS packages, while Phoenix is somewhere in the middle.

Also, people comparing the $20 Standard Packs with Phoenix and Resistance aren't taking into account that you're not getting a +30% Bill mech at that price point.

19. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

That's just Meta, next year noone will remember the Black Knight or even maybe the Mauler... they will be the equivalent of the Awesome and Dragon (or maybe Quickdraw)..... i'm being facetious. Yes, they are good right now, frankly i'm imptessed the Thunderbolt and Battlemaster and Griffin came back with such a punch. Ahhh the quirks..

20. Sassafras

I think the Mauler will always be good. Pretty hard to argue with 5 AC5s in your face whether they're quirked or not. The Black Knight, though, yeah, once it gets debuffed, it will slide back into mediocrity.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast