Poor man's Omni (anyone else does this?)

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Darkblood, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Darkblood

Darkblood Active Member

Seeing how expensive things got after we went open beta. I've been finding myself striving to have Mechs that fill all roles without having to buy many Mechs.

So, I've been trying to get a base configuration (engine, upgrades) that would fit different weapon configurations that I can change quite easily in between drops (without so much as making my group wait that long). Kind of a poor man's omni. :D

I have this AWS-8R in which I've been doing this:

Poor Man's Omni (SRM Version)
    Poor Man's Omni (LRM Version)

Both are probably sub-optimal, but still... anyone else has tried something similar?

2. Jaynen

Jaynen New Member

Can you "save" multiple loadouts for the same mech in your garage?

3. Durant Carlyle

Durant Carlyle Star Lord

Nope. They probably want you to have multiple versions of each 'Mech, as changing between setups easily means you only have to buy one of each 'Mech and they get less money from you when you do that.

4. Darkblood

Darkblood Active Member

I don't know about that. There is no save so far, but they should include it, after all you already have a system to ensure people buying many Mechs, which is the efficiency thing.

Still, the difference between this configs is small enough that I can easily remember it

5. Jaynen

Jaynen New Member

I don't think you can even buy a second chassis that is the exact same model so buying duplicates for loadouts does not make sense

6. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Jaynen, you can buy multiple of the same chassis. I did that back before OB with some centurions.

7. twibs

twibs New Member

Main problem with multiple loadouts comes from the upgrades, since downgrading ES/FF/DHS costs also money.

I'm fairly certain I can live with changing the loadout when I feel like it (if only the meclab didn't crash every fricking time.)

8. Morgana

Morgana Dispossessed

Jaynen, I too have multiple mechs of the same chassis varient. But I started as you did, one chassis, and changed loadout. In time, and through grinding, you will find yourself doing the same. I finally got tired of having to make my drop group wait, as I moved engines, DHS, and weapons around, so I finally bought me a second one, and equipped it with everything it needed with the exception of the engines. I currently own 3 engines now (different sizes), which I interchange amongst different mechs as needed. In time, I will have enough C-Bill to aquire them as well. (I do now actually, but am hoarding C-Bills for now, until my "dream mech" arrives.)

9. Aware

Aware Active Member

I did the same only each mech I own has its own engine. No switching of parts required. Beyond the Founders mechs I only own mediums anyways though. I have 6 Hunchbacks atm.

10. twibs

twibs New Member

I really don't see the need to change the loadout that often, but maybe that's just me.

I much prefer to get my 3 variants, grind them to master and get something new.

11. Durant Carlyle

Durant Carlyle Star Lord

I just realized that I only replied to Jaynen's question instead of the question in the OP.

Yes, I do that very same thing with some of my Jenners. I currently have two builds with the only difference being SRM launcher and ammo versus LRM launcher and ammo. I only do the switch-out until I stockpile enough C-Bills to afford the complete second setup. Doesn't usually take that long because Jenners are cheap.

twibs--
    That's fine. A lot of people do it that way. But if you start to specialize in a certain chassis, you'll likely have at least a couple of setups you'll use more often than others -- "go-to builds" that work best for you. I usually have two or three of those, and then a couple of builds that I experiment with and use maybe once or twice just to test them out.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast