Quirk Testing Impressions - Input Welcome!

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Solahma, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Post your initial impressions of the quirk builds you've chosen to try out!

(all first impressions were in group queue):
    • Locust 3M 5x Small PULSE Lasers 60% range and 20% cooldown!
    First Impressions: Accel and Decel are very nice, able to peak around a corner, alpha, and return to cover in a blink of an eye. I was averaging ~2 kills ~500 damage for several games. Still feels just as fragile. You notice a slight increase in survivability, but not much to help the Locust a ton. The heat efficiency is spectacular though, great feeling piloting this build.

First Impressions: wow.... just WOW broke 1000 damage twice in the first couple matches. Easily goes through 8.5 tons of ammo. I actually dropped the medium laser for the 8th ton of ammo. First game I burnt through it MUCH faster than expected

First Impressions: Second hand impression for the time being. Buddy Falconium535 got 7 kills on Caustic. On Tourmaline it was able to alpha 6 times before reaching ~93% heat. Looks promising!

First night play testing myself and it is definitely the back-rage king. Extremely efficient. Tears things apart in close ranges.

First Impressions:Build definitely feels cooler. Terra Therma was the first test map and heat management was very easy. Will perform very well in casual games. Makes for a better light/medium hunter than the Jenner-F imo, because of the increased DPS. However the Jenner-F still remains the king with the high mounted hardpoints.

First Impressions:This mech was tons of fun. Ran out of ammo alot faster than expected, so a build rework is in order. Might drop Artemis, add another SRM4 and more ammo. Very dangerous guy to let behind you.
    • Banshee 3E for 3x AC5 15% cooldown and velocity!
    First Impressions: Banshee is back baby! The cooldown is VERY noticeable. Was able to pull of several good games. Felt very good with the ERPPC benefiting from the energy cooldown. Convergence speed between the AC5s and the ERPPC feels much better than before.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Sassafras likes this.
  2. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Curious on your Oxide fit - why the artemis on SRM 4's? Not found it too penalised in the past by the heat penalty - did the cooldown really ramp that up?

Drop the Artemis and you can mount the 4th SRM 4 launcher and an extra ton of ammo.

Or drop the artemis for 3 extra tons of ammo to heavily increase your potential damage.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

DD chainsaw works great, you can actually hold without double tapping and run out of 8 ton of ammo, and I don't have the cooldown module.

Tests might be altered anyway, there are much more IS mechs then usual.

4. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

The Dragon 1N is spectactular alright, agreed Sol. Still fragile but much more a menace now.

• Awesome 9M with 3x ERPPC and 3x MLAS
    Real sweet deal, finally this mech feels true to lore. The amount of fire you can put down is frightening, cycle those ERPPC and you will be able to sustain a heavy suppression. Step behind a building, cool off for five seconds and go at it again! I had both range and cooldown modules and it's literally a blast, effective range was something like 1056m! Max at 2100?!? Crazy stuff.

5. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

My baby is back! Heat buff, duration buff, range buff. My 8 MLs finally are useful again

Same goes for my Stalker 5-S. The range and beam duration time buff have a major impact. Legs did not like me yesterday.

6. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

4 LLas Jester works nicely and runs pretty cool considering the loadout, even on Caustic Valley.

Hunchie 4G has sick AC20 quirks. Both the rate of fire and the slug's velocity are great. Members of my unit reported similar for AC40 JM6-S, albeit with a smaller impact.

Brought WVR-6R with 2x AC5, SRM 4 and MLas to the testing grounds only (sick 50% mediums...) and went through 6 tons of ammo very quickly.

AWS-9M is a little bit hot with 3x ERPPC, but 2x ERPPC + 1x LLas + 2 MLas worked fine for me. Similar to this a 4x PPC AWS-8Q felt too hot (no double basics here, though), but 3x PPC + 2 MLas + Zombie MPLas was very good.

7. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

[​IMG]

OXIDE needs 6th T of ammo, I was running around half match with nothing to shot :D but I'm still scared to strip armor too much or lower engine less then XL280

Also damn kill steals the other 2, could have made more damage

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I already needed 6 tons of ammo without quirks, will I be forced to load a 7th? I'm already out of armor... :rolleyes:

Anyway, yesterday I dropped with this:

It works.

Motörhead likes this.
  9. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

probably 7 tons are really usable in solo drops I ran around 3 minutes doing nothing. the funny thing is the match lasted 6 min and 1 min to engage, in a sustained fight it can burn all the ammos in like 2 mins with 5 tons (used a leftover coolant shot from the event).
    but slower then xl280 is really not possible, and also your armor is already too low for my light piloting, I can at most strip it to fit 5,5 tons.

And yes, I'm being toasted more by PPCs Awesomes :)

The new(old) nova is really funny, and I see the new ERSLAS as a Nova quirk, as it's the only mech who can really take full benefit, hope they will not be nerfed, because no other mech wears them, and the nova is slow and fagile, at least it's a beast at DPS now.

The new clan pulse lasers are excellent, the Penta MPL crow is really nice with 40 accurate damage.
    Clans might not have gotten quirks, but laser changes are really there.
    Could not test cLPLs because I don't want to drop in a DWF and I don't have any other mechs that can run them well, but from the damage received I'd say they are a really powerful weapon now.

Remarius likes this.
  10. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

This is what i'll end up doing, thanks for the advice. I previously preferred Artemis because the ammo usually lasted for a decent game and it drastically tightened the SRM spread at longer ranges, which really helped concentrate those srms where I wanted them while maintaining distance from the enemy.

Yeah, perhaps it's time to be patient with this mech. Wait until mid-late game before engaging very seriously. Place those shots with extra care. I really think 6 tons is the farthest you can justify taking it, the Oxide definitely has a damage cap because of this.

11. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Yeah I loved the mech and am eager to try it again. The lovely quirks just give me an excuse. ;)

12. Pilzerino

Pilzerino New Member

You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. The 8Q was my very first 'mech, and I have missed playing it. After the PPC nerfs I tried several builds, but always felt outmatched in everything by everyone, so I ended up swapping to a Battlemaster and just brawling instead.

13. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I noticed a large increase in my Death Knell's effectiveness. That little bugger with 240 XL and 4xSPL is a real ankle biter.

SPL buff helped too.

14. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Then do not hesitate, this mech finally feels like an Awesome should feel.
    3 or 4 PPCs, personal preference, both should work nice.
    (can't wait for the weapon customisation, it would be nice to have all the cannons actually showing on the mech)

Another mech blessed by the quirks: the Huginn.
    I just bought it last weekend when it was on sales, I have no practice with it what so ever (though I have massive practice of the Oxide), but still achieve impressive games. 3 kills and 700dmg on the first, get stomped on the second but still managed to grab a kill, 4 kills and almost 500dmg on the third and last.
    The rate of fire of the SRMs is insane and with the module stacked to the quirk their range is 363m!
    Still has Raven paper legs though...

Solahma likes this.
  15. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

The Victor is back for Victory!!! HUZZAH!

mmstahlman likes this.
  16. don Zappo

don Zappo Advanced Member

As is this mysterious stranger. Quirks bring back ALL OF THE THINGS!

17. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

What fit are you using - SRM4/MG?

18. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

So as expected, the TDR-5SS 7xMPL build is pretty darned great. The cooldown is surprisingly fast (I've overheated a few times on cool maps since I didn't realize how many times I fired), and the range boost is ridiculous. On the first match I dropped in, my first Alpha took off a Kitfox's leg at ~250m.

The Verge likes this.
  19. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

I'm curious how my SHS Wubanshee 8x MPLas will do now without any build changes. It got the Medium Pulse general heat buff and still benefits from 7.5% energy heat reduction, 7.5% energy range increase, and -10% laser duration. Typing that just made me realize that it got a SERIOUS buff, even if the quirks are specific to Large Pulse and not Medium Pulse...

holy hell...

20. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Yep, 2 SRM4s and 4 MGs.
    At the moment 5t of SRMs, 1.5t of MG, one JJ and an XL280 - but this might change after further testing.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast