@Russ_Bullock announces #MWO hit detection / HSR fix imminent

Thread in 'Official 'Mech News' started by Michael, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

This week, after all the gloom and doom naysayers crying with their poisonous tears, you hoped and you prayed for some good news? Well guess what? PGI delivers!

Sunshine and rainbows for everyone!!!!!

PGI's own Russ Bullock just announced that they have been working on, and are very close to approving, hit-detection and host state rewind changes!

[​IMG]

What does this mean? It means that the enemy paper doll should get more flashy flashy when we shoot at them! HSR fix could be coming as soon as September 3rd Patch if everything checks out.

If this works properly the universe will rejoice!

2. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty big "if" there Commander Grimm, and community faith has waned just a teeny tiny tad of a bit....

3. Durant Carlyle

Durant Carlyle Star Lord

I welcome our accuracy-improving overlords -- even if my Jenners/Spiders become even easier to kill than they already were...

4. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

5. Business

Business Advanced Member

This doesn't mean a damn thing if the patch that follows it screws it up for another 4 months.

But hopefully the changes made puts the mech hierarchy closer to how it should be. Light mechs should spar with lights and mediums and collapse under heavy and assault mechs. People who proclaim their dominance of light mechs will hopefully get a reality check when the shots begin to register with higher frequency, leading them to do proper reconnaissance instead of brawling with 4 machine guns. That shit just doesn't make sense in regards to balance and has been overlooked for way too long.

I know it goes both ways and I certainly notice when a barrage doesn't do the damage it should, too, of course.

6. mizarpanzer

mizarpanzer New Member

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Because if HSR does not improve after the patch I expect to see another angry wave of trolls accusing PGI of 'lying'.

7. Moonsword

Moonsword Star Lord

Business,

I am going to disagree with you, lights will always trump assaults because they are more maneuverable and much much faster, and are so much harder to target because of this, and most lights pack a semi decent punch, I have taken down an Atlas by myself in my Commando because he just could not torso twist fast enough to get me out from behind him.

8. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Ok I call BS only because no one willingly pilots a commando!

What? You were all thinking it. :p

9. Morgana

Morgana Dispossessed

This is excellent news!!! This and the combination of weight balancing within matches by the Release is going to be a big game changer. All within a month's time. We've waited for years! I can hardly believe we are now down to counting days. I'll be there until the last server goes down years from now, just as I was the last day the MSN Gaming Zone hosted MechWarrior III.

10. Otto Cannon

Otto Cannon New Member

Hmm. I'm not sure how fixed it will be considering the reason we have ghost heat instead of working convergence is that PGI considered hit detection unfixable in the forseeable future. Even a small improvement would help though I suppose.

11. Business

Business Advanced Member

I've done the same to assault mechs in my COM-2D but you missed my point.

Light mechs and their usefulness are completely blown out of proportion because they very frequently do not get hit for full damage by projectiles and to a lesser degree but more understandably, lasers. This happens against all mechs, obviously, but none more than lights. And I don't know why you say that targeting them is difficult---you are using a mouse, right? It's as easy in this as in any other game. It didn't translate over from the lore at all but that's an entirely different medium. It may be difficult to target a specific spot on them and it can definitely be a challenge to lead your shot against a 150kph Spider who is jumping erratically, but it is by no means difficult to put them under target. The whole point of this is when you shoot and it shows that it hits but still does no damage or not even remotely close to what it should do, then clearly that opponent is given a great chance to cause more damage than he should. Targeting them is not the problem, it is what does or does not happen when an otherwise good shot hits that is the problem.

I just put up another video and I was considering taking all the clips of no reg (crosshair goes red but zero damage) from those dozen games and make a montage for how consistently it occurs. Though I deleted the clips I doubt it would take much effort or time to build up that supply again.

12. Moonsword

Moonsword Star Lord

You have willingly pilots a Commando, AND there is video evidence of it, that you posted Mason. :p

Business, I do agree that HSR and hit detection is in a bad place right now, and I feel it each time I play due to my high lag, normally 250 - 300 ping. That is why I use a lot of laser weapons, unless I am specifically in a sniper role.
    I have had hundreds of shots show on my screen as a hit, seen it actually hit the mech, and the retical turn red, but nothing happen on the paperdoll.

13. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Lies! All lies!

[quote author=Moonsword link=topic=3079.msg18715#msg18715 date=1377432887]
    ....I feel it each time I play due to my high lag, normally 250 - 300 ping. That is why I use a lot of laser weapons, unless I am specifically in a sniper role.
    [/quote]

Dude, I'm less than 10 km from the server physically and I have around a 24 ping. I still get around 30% of my shots not registering, especially when using the UAC5 or a quad AC2 mech. This will be a much anticipated fix as far as I am concerned. I KNOW that many of my 800 damage matches should be 1000+ and aren't because no flashy flashy on the paper doll LOL

14. Burnburger

Burnburger Junior Member

HSR will help lights too. Don't think it will only affect the assaults. There will be the same QQ about lights doing too much damage if HSR is fixed correctly.

If HSR is "fixed", I wont have to make that 2nd or 3rd pass on a heavy or assault with my lasers/srms in my Jenner/Raven/Spider (i.e. less time in the danger zone).

All HSR will do is make the good and great pilots better. Those who cannot aim or lead...HSR wont help...much.

Assaults want to be the King of the battlefield, but sometimes the pwn will get ya ;)

15. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

You still wont find me in lights until they change seismic.

16. Marcti

Marcti New Member

can you explain please? im new and i dont know what you mean by it. isnt seismic working?

17. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

It works but a lot of light pilots are frustrated because they can't flank and sneak up on an enemy target. Seismic creates an advanced warning system that is impossible to avoid, even when using terrain or objects to block line of sight.

18. Business

Business Advanced Member

I don't think that'll be the case. The core issue is that the HSR has zero consistency with hit detection. Again, that leads to light mechs taking those two or three trips into the danger zone (DANGA ZONE) and surviving for more passes when they would otherwise get wrecked by weapons that hit but don't damage. They should NOT be able to run into a huge ass firefight and take superficial damage while everyone else is getting destroyed. This very clearly and far more frequently happens against lights mechs and the Spider in particular.

I disagree with your assessment of not taking more passes on heavier mechs unless you're implying something more. If they're damaged, sure, that makes sense, but with an astonishing 6-8 tons of weapons, you damn well better need more passes to kill something that much heavier than you.

It isn't about nerfing lights and making assaults or any class more effective against them, to me at least, but instead about letting actual aiming skill be the deciding factor which is how it should be. I can absolutely maim lights in my triple lbx ilya one round then lose one on one versus a raven-4x because the last three salvos to his center torso have only scratched the paint. This did actually happen to me and I quit the game for about two weeks, lol.

19. Marcti

Marcti New Member

oh i see what he means, i play lights all the time and its hard to sneak up when they have the module , only way i could is by staying out of seismic range with ecm like a raven and pew pew away!

20. Burnburger

Burnburger Junior Member

I was talking about damaged mechs when I enter the "Danger Zone". I will always try to JJ at an angle to get a good shot while landing in a "safe" area...doesn't always work. I am even more careful in non-JJ lights. I have always liked fast scouts/interceptors, martial any military training reflects my preference.

As a light pilot with spider FF miles, I never assume hit detection or wonky hit boxes will save me. My pings average around 50ms so I do get hit regs more than other lag spiders. It frustrates me when I have to fight a light with 250ms+ ping.

A few players tell me when hit detection is fixed I am toast....but most of the time it is not hit detection..it's because they missed. There was no hit reg to be determined.