RVN-3L "Three's Company" (1x PPC, 2x SSRM2, ECM, XL280)

Thread in 'RVN-3L' started by BAHS, Jul 17, 2014.

1. BAHS

BAHS New Member

I have not seen this build posted. This isn't a 1000 damage Raven, but is good for getting the enemies attention and dividing their formation with harassment fire. I call it "Three's Company" because it is best when run in a group.

The PPC gets their attention and requires only brief exposure to fire and return to cover. Streaks if they send lights to deal with you. When run in packs of 2+ it is able to handle just about any lights they send out to deal with you. This is the bastard child of an oxide and a Cicada 3M. In a pack of two it is the firepower equivalent. In a pack of 3 a real problem for your enemy on large maps.

ERLL can work as well, but I find the enemy responds better to you when hit by a PPC. I think a PPC is more difficult to ignore. The XL280 gives you enough speed to RTB if they send some real muscle after you, which is what you want. The more time that real muscle spends chasing me the easier it is for the muscle on my team to roll over the enemy. If you want to put up additional damage and assist the team a bit further pack some artillery/airstrikes and a UAV.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Hello and welcome on Mechspecs.

It's not a mech I'd pilot but in the right hands it might be a decent harasser - more of a nuisance than a real damage dealer actually, but if you can get the enemy disbanded it's all good. It sure would make use of an arty strike (the -3L has 4 module slots, it's not a problem).

Aren't you short on ammo? I think you can shave a bit of armor from the head, missile arm and maybe side torsos (keep record of how you take damage so you can tweak the armor value accordingly) and load 0.5 more ton.

3. BAHS

BAHS New Member

Thank you for the welcome.

Agreed it is more of a nuisance than a damage dealer. I have flirted with shaving armor to get a bit more streak ammo, but I find if I need more than 1 ton of streak ammo I am getting enough attention that I could use the armor as well. Good suggestion though. It takes some time to burn through a ton of ammo with only 2 SSRM2's. 1 ton gives you about 1.45 minutes (a minute and a half) of continuous short range engagement (200 Damage Potential). I find even when running the (3ML, 2SSRM2) Raven 3L two tons of ammo is more than enough and it can't shape the battlefield in the same way with harassment fire. Can I on average do more damage in a (2ERLL) Raven.... certainly. Does the (3ML, 2SSRM2) cause more problems for lights that engage it..... without argument of course.

The PPC has the nice added effect of being able to break ecm cover briefly as well to assist with spotting for your own teams indirect fire. Not a TAG fan here too much exposure time to make it effective.

Sorry to hear it isn't something you would pilot.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Héhé, no problem, there must be something for everybody's taste here. ;)

5. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

I think my build from this thread is better at playing the way you want to in every aspect. No offense meant.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  6. BAHS

BAHS New Member

Aylek, I like your build a lot. I will run it and see how it works out for me. I hope the ERLL can draw enough attention to split a group. I have run it similar but with TAG instead of the small lasers.

Hands down your build has a better max DPS and Sustained DPS. I recently switched to the PPC over the large laser because I noticed I was taking more damage post clan invasion poking with ERLL. Lots more mechs out there with the range to respond to the IS ERLL. When the enemy is splashing damage on me they seem less apt to split some off to come deal with me.

No offense taken by the way, I think I may enjoy the small lasers when they dispatch lights to engage.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast