SDR-5D Sneaky Spider (1x ERPPC, 2x SLas, ECM, 2x JJ, XL255)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'SDR-5D' started by Aylek, May 28, 2013.

1. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

When I decided on leveling Spiders I was already set on running Myth's builds on my 5D before I even got started. Both the LL + 2ML and the ERPPC builds are really good. However, but I missed the close range capabilities of the laser version when playing with the ERPPC (as this version isn't very good against other light mechs) and missed the long range & pinpoint damage when using the laser version.

But then I stumbled across this guide in the official forums and gave the version presented a try.

Here is my take on it:

It seems as it offers the best of both the laser version and the ERPPC version. Small lasers weren't worth it in my eyes until now (short of some niche HBG-4P builds), but this is a build where they're shining. They allow to put up some pressure when the ERPPC is on cooldown or when the mech is running hot and they've got a short reload time to do so repeatedly.

With the build's speed combined with ECM this allows for very nasty strafing runs, especially on maps like River City and Canyon Networks. Basically this holds true for each occasion where one can choose when to break LOS or not.

One might be concerned about cutting down the JJs to two, but in my experience the Mech doesn't loose a lot by doing so. It's still sufficient for keeping a very high mobility, using roofs for sniping or short cuts otherwise unusable. I love this build and have to give it a go every evening I am playing. Give it a try!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

This build is absolutely lethal. Gotta love it.

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I prefer one medium laser rather than two smalls.

4. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Ah, yes, but the 2xSLases do more damage and cycle faster. Granted, there is the limitation that one is on the arm, the other in the torso.

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Imho the major limitation is the range. With my spider I'm rarely closer than 180m, not to talk about 90m. Then overall, even if 2 smalls have higher theoretical DPS I deal higher damage with the medium.

6. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I'm with Epikt. The small laser effective range is deceiving. At 108m, 1xML is more damage than 2xSL, and at 144m it will do the same damage in 0.75 seconds (the full beam duration for smalls).

7. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

using exactly the same build except 2SLas(s) for 1MLas, that's the only difference

8. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

This is a killer design! I made a slight change to it: removed a SLas and some armors, but added a DHS and 2 more JJs. Not sure about the JJs, but the extra DHS allows for faster cooldown and more shots.

9. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

Mine is:
    ER PPC
    Tag
    ECM installed :phear:
    3-4 Jumpjets :cool:
    10 DHS
    same engine 137kph+Tweak :whacko:

10. Psiclone

Psiclone New Member

Could you link this build? I'd like to see how you fit the extra JJs.

11. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

I can only imagine something like this:

One additional JJ in favor of armor.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  12. Throet

Throet Active Member

I've been using this build for a very long time on my 5D:
    I find I don't use my JJ for anything more than gaining high ground during scouting operations, and rarely for the high speed combat 180, hence this build has only 1. This is enough to get you on top of the citadel on River City, and I've not found many other structures I can't access. Certainly anything you can't reach with only 1 JJ is probably too high for you to be able to shoot anything from, to say nothing of locking targets for LRM assists.

As for the lasers, as for the reasons mentioned by others, I find the small laser to be too short ranged for my tastes. Although I do frequently find myself standing directly behind an enemy, it's not a preferred location. The medium lasers generate more heat, but honestly, for the same reason that I'm running with an ERPPC rather than a PPC, the extra range is totally worth it.

I know I run the risk of getting headshot on this, but honestly, do you know anyone who can aim at a 'Mech going 150 kph well enough to reliably hit the head?

The first rule of lights: Never stop moving.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  13. tong169

tong169 Junior Member

5/5,
    very good build, still using it

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast