Seismic Sensor? Hate it, Love it, thoughts?

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by ahelland, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ahelland

ahelland Active Member

So I am new at posting on this site but read it almost everyday. I am curious about the seismic sensor module and what everyone thinks of it. How effective is it? I am thinking of getting it as it seems very powerful (maybe too much) but want some feedback before I drop 6 mil. What are your thoughts?

2. KidKinzu

KidKinzu New Member

I like the seismic sensor very much.
    We use it on our team in nearly every mech (lrm boats as exception mostly^^)

You have a very handy device with this specific module, it helps you on frozen city to notice a tunnel rush or single mechs running threw it to cap your base, on maps like canyon you know if there are enemies in the next canyon or behind a little hill and so on.

This module needs a little tweaking though, perhaps just a range reduction or something else, but at the moment it is just awesome ;)

Hope that helps you a bit.
    Cheers, KidKinzu

3. CX 1237

CX 1237 Active Member

I like it.
    Anything that improves ones situational awareness is a good thing imo.
    Spend some gxp on it to unlock longer range and people will have a hard(er) time sneaking up on you.

And remember, modules are in effect weightless...

4. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

My friend's been blaming teammates (saying they fire early and give away our position) and saying the enemy wallhacks in response to this. It is very good for detecting when you're being flanked or baited (hey, there's 4 dots, I'll break off the attack) and makes it a lot harder for lights to trick you and come around back.

Honestly, this thing is a game changer, because it basically trumps tactics.

5. Verbosity

Verbosity Dispossessed

Since the seismic came in I've killed far fewer Atlas' in my Jenner :-/

6. Hurthammer

Hurthammer Active Member

It's worth every GXP and c-bill. Game changer indeed. :wink:

7. goooooller

goooooller Well-Known Member

Overpowered since there is no counter to it. For balance maybe PGI should change it to detection range based on opponents weight class. But balance aside, once you have the C-bills there is zero reason for you to not equip this.

8. ahelland

ahelland Active Member

Great feedback guys, thanks. Yeah it looks awesome. It seems that if the enemy has it and you dont then you are at a serious disadvantage. It sounds like you guys think it might be too powerful (game changer). I feel like i need one to compete.

9. Vorus

Vorus Active Member

Yeah, I kind of think there ought to be a minimum weight to trigger it, say 50 tons. I'm not SURE that's a good idea, but I think MWO had a pretty good handle on the system of balancing out Lights-vs-Assaults, and the Seismic Sensor gives a little bit of an upper hand to Assaults.

10. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

I love how this thread is a perfect example of the bowshock that exists in between an actual mechanic change / feature implementation, and delay that follows when the community at large actually fully seizes upon it.

Seismic was obviously the single biggest game changer since ECM, even moreso. It was obvious from the moment it was patched in. If you aren't using it, you are playing wrong.

Worship it, but don't crutch, prepare for tweaks or a counter to it at some point.

11. ahelland

ahelland Active Member

Is it based on foot falls for detection so that no movement would not be detected? Kind of like the motion sensor on Halo. If so then can introducing crouch walking help balance?

12. Hurthammer

Hurthammer Active Member

I would not call too powerful. It's limited to 400m in the advanced version, many weapons with much longer range than that. If they don't move, it doesn't show anything on the mini-map. It doesn't tell what that blip on the radar actually is.. could be a beat up Jenner or a 100% Atlas. It does let you know when bad guys are around the corner, running in the tunnels, over the hill..

13. Morgana

Morgana Dispossessed

As much as I like the introduction of the Seismic Module, I do have a bit of an issue with it. (This is my opinion only and does not express the opinions of MechSpecs.)

My issue comes with the seismic readings we receive from within the mountainous caves. I have no issue with receiving these around say River City, as buildings and such should vibrate when a 100-ton mech walks past. However, when it comes to mountainous caves, it should take ALOT more pressure (for lack of a better term atm) to produce the same effect. Within a cave, the seismic wave is going to encounter rock walls that should cause a varying degree of seismic reflection, thus minimizing the sensitivity of the wave.

What I would like to see, is a tweak that reduces the range of the seismic wave when it is emanating through rock walls. While the module is definitely a game changer, the abitlity to detect Mechs going through the cave in Frozen City, and Forest Colony is a bit OP. It's eventually going to make these areas useless, as it only makes sense that the opposing team will place a Mech with the Seismic Module near the cave walls, and your strategic maneuvers are deemed uselss.

14. ahelland

ahelland Active Member

I would actually think rock would conduct vibrations better than soft sand for example. Like rubber soled shoes vs wood. Just my two cents. I am curious how many are really running this module all the time with how much gxp and cbills are required to get it.

15. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

Personally I think 400m is very short for a seismic sensor. Even 20 tons stamping half that weight down on one leg 500m away would be very audible with just your ear on the ground listening. We have mines near here blasting under ground over 3 miles away and can still feel the ground shake from time to time. The generation or traveling of the seismic wave (even through caves [there is actually a method of seismic study pertaining to caves as a mapping method] waves travel faster through solids than gases) and I have no doubt if a pilot got out of his mech at sigma and put his head to the ground on any map he would hear/feel any movement at gamma. This method has been used by humans for hundreds of years for various uses from locating a buffalo herd to telling a train is coming.

Now, here is where I am going to make my point: How can a mech register ANY seismic activity when it is also moving? It's own signature should drown any others and while it's moving it doesn't have the proper ground contact to sense the waves. I am a bit fuzzy on TT seismic mechanics but didn't you have to stand still? If not then you should. A mech using seismic should realistically only be able to sense seismic waves when not moving as its own walking would interfere with the reading and not allow for a constant ground contact for the wave to travel through the mechs foot to be detected.

Seismic rocks, many of us were wanting it from the start. I for one was. I also feel that they should be worthless to any mech moving faster than 0.0kph.

16. Hurthammer

Hurthammer Active Member

This has made the most sense to me, so far, as to some type of balance for seismic sensors.

17. ahelland

ahelland Active Member

So assuming jumpjetting through the air is not detected by seismic sensor could this be a viable way to sneak up on guys. A 12 jj spider can go pretty far with a running start and maybe if you just touch down once between each jump it would not be noticed. Just a thought. Not sure how viable that would be.

18. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

The problem with that is you can only fly in a straight line, and you have to be moving to start jumping far.

Untamed, you make a lot of sense, but for the most of your post (regarding range, for example) you have to remember that distances and weights in MechWarrior have nothing to do with real life.

19. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

Have to start somewhere. If you want to make a more realistic fantasy experience you have to go with what you know. Was also using the distance as an example for how far a vibration can travel through the ground.

20. epikt

epikt Benefactor

On my mech, I love it.
    Generally speaking, I find it absolutely overpowered.
    I like the idea of needing to stand still for the sensor to be effective. Range should be affected by weight too.