SHC-A "Point Taken." (2xcHLL, 1xcERML, cTC1, cECM)
5/5,

2 ratings

Thread in 'Shadow Cat Builds' started by Excalibaard, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

My new build, easily adapted from the 'Point of War' I used to run. Yes, HLL take a long time to fire. Aim for the crotch/butt on a mech if you can so they don't spread your damage. The ECM lets you get some nasty shots off on unsuspecting people, and with an alpha like this, that can be devastating. ERML and HLL ranges work nicely together (opposed to ERLL+ERML) so you can use the single ERML from the same range, maybe to finish off mechs who didn't die from your initial alpha while your HLL cool down.

Have been very effective with this, though the damage output was a bit lower (damage falloff starts earlier and matches end quicker).

2. Barnacle Ed

Barnacle Ed New Member

5/5,
    I normally stink at mediums. But I've been getting 300-600 dmg games in this thing semi-consistently. Had no idea HLL was that powerful. 5 stars from me =)

Excalibaard likes this.
  3. Excalibaard

Thanks for the review, glad you're doing well in it!!

4. Barnacle Ed

Barnacle Ed New Member

Thx, and here's an obligatory SS I forgot to upload to show my best score yet, as of a couple days ago:

[​IMG]

EDIT: As another note, the new SHC-H Right Arm Omnipod makes this build run cooler, 7 on cooldown 2xHLL bursts before you hit 90+% heat (with 5 external Double Heatsinks), just shy of overheating, which is insane. Course you lose the Tracking computer, but an extra burst I think more than makes up for it.

EDIT #2: My mech has around -9% of heat generation, 10% heat dissipation, and +15% max heat capacity from skills alone, so that influenced my testing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  5. Don Kiebals

Don Kiebals New Member

I was pretty excited to try this build out but honestly having a lot of trouble getting the play style down. I seem to end up in a lot of situations where a light is able to track me down, and this mech has a hard time dealing with lights. It's also not quite fast enough to get away from the mediums and heavies for solid hit and runs. What is the general play style for this mech?

6. Excalibaard

My playstyle is to lurk around my teammates, preferably on a higher elevation. ECM and Jumpjets make it very slippery so they'll prefer to focus the easier tracked people around you, and then you can assist them with uncontested heavy lasers on one component.

I did play it more adventurous before, but since the insurgence of Light Machinegun Boats, that no longer pays off for me for the reasons you described.

You could try a 'fight fire with fire' approach, and run a generally common 2HLL 6LMG shadowcat, or the 2HLL 3LMG with ECM.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  7. ShooterMcGavin80

ShooterMcGavin80 MechSpecs Addict

I'm running this on one of my Shadow Cats, and I second that it is a very difficult build to play, but I am starting to get it down pretty well. You definitely have to be a team player and work your butt off in order to get 500-600 damage, but it is satisfying when you pull it off. I don't think it is a powerhouse mech though, I feel like those darn Cheetahs and Mist Lynx's with their oodles of hardpoints and medium laser/light LMG combo's are really tearing it up right now.

I traded the TC1 for an extra heat sink. Also, you might want to swap out the right arm for the SHC-H right arm, it has a minor HLL heat and laser duration quirk.

8. ShooterMcGavin80

ShooterMcGavin80 MechSpecs Addict

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast