SHD-2H "Vedrfolnir" (2x AC5, 1x AC2, 1x JJ, XL255)
4.75/5,

4 ratings

Thread in 'SHD-2H' started by Skyer Stralende, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Skyer Stralende

Skyer Stralende Junior Member

Vedrfolnir

The SHD-2H is proving to be my favorite ride in MWO! I just love AC2s and AC5s, and there is exceptional synergy between these weapons and this chassis. You're able to peek over and around many terrain features and fire away at full DPS nigh unhindered from nearly any range. It is worth mentioning that you can continue to fire at 10.51 DPS for a lengthy 39 seconds with no efficiencies, and the number jumps up to 01:02 at Elite. The SHD also has significant mobility with a jumpjet, and a tanky XL-favoring profile.

To put this SHD-2H simply: a powerful force in a relatively small and mobile package.

The mech works best as a skirmisher, staying at range during the initial contact and moving in right behind heavier teammates to unload an (un)healthy amount of direct fire into your target of choice. Another viable strategy is to flank around one side of the main brawl and shoot enemies from that position while they're focused on the main force of your team.

Your mileage may vary...

However, over my first 48 matches in the SHD-2H, with >90% in this particular build, I have a mean damage per round of 593, a KDR of 4.19, and a W/L of 2.43.

The first handful of matches felt a bit too easy, as this is the first medium mech I've piloted since 2012, but my games remained consistently 'good' even as I began to encounter my usual fare of veteran mechwarriors.

So perhaps this isn't your cup of tea, or maybe you think it's scrap... but I'm very happy I found a mech that fits so snugly with my gaming personality. :D

(My continuation of vipershark's thread: here. Their build remains un-updated, and in that light I believe there is enough variation to warrant a separate topic.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

How I ran the few rounds in this before focusing on the 2D2.

This loadout is CRAZY good in this mech. Canyon and Crimson are just unfair with this high-mount rain of fire. I love it.

3. TheStrider

TheStrider New Member

Looking at your build I can't help but think you're missing alot of torso and leg armor. Has that not hurt you at all?

4. Skyer Stralende

Nope! :3

[​IMG]

I think I got legged once... but I still did 600+ damage. And I've only gotten my torso blown off once. I have actually run out of ammo some rounds, but my games have always been good. (Though only one match over 1000 because of ammo issues... XD) You can just put so much damage across the field without overheating, and you're so mobile, that the enemy will have a hard time doing much besides ducking away from what you're blasting into their faces.

(Now I'm at 65 matches, 611 mean damage per match) =D

5. Neokolzia

Neokolzia New Member

the Shadowhawk has a decent head section, and like the hunchback a weak weapon system mounted right beside it.

Meaning lots of people are figuring out destroy that gun and usually = exploded xl, and hitting that cockpit isn't a difficult task having already lost a few mechs to headshots for first time.

I feel you reduced some of the crucial armor a bit too much even for a totally reserved mech that is behind the lines sniping, one misplaced PPC shot can take out your cannon, or take out your pilot with your little head popping up. Little too much sacrifice for a 3-4 km/hr

On top of that the strange focus for rear torso armor and missing so many other crucial armors to protect your engine, I.E generally front torso armor the most because of brawling with other long range mechs generally getting the odd PPC strike etc.

Frankly just looks like a ticking time bome without case even in the torso filled with ammo.

From paper stand point needs work imo

6. Skyer Stralende

Your points are quite valid, Neokolzia. While I have never been head-shot (as of yet! ;) ), and have little issues with torso explosion, it may very well be that my subjective experience was masking an objective improvement that would make the mech more enjoyable for others!

I updated the OP with another variant, dropping to an XL265 and adding another ton of armor to max out the head and torso areas.

[quote author=Neokolzia link=topic=4192.msg25675#msg25675 date=1382084284]the strange focus for rear torso armor[/quote]

Any further thoughts on this? I did shift a few points from CT Rear to CT Front (I did notice 20 seemed like too much), but anything less than 15 for the CT Rear seems too little. Not often am I vulnerable to rear shots, but when I am, it's usually a light that runs up behind me while I'm shooting from medium range. There's lots of lights around right now, and I think a fair amount of rear armor helps give me enough time to react before they could core me out.

7. Neokolzia

Neokolzia New Member

Thats a good choice for increasing the armor and yup theres nothing wrong with a little higher Back CT armor, on my brawler which is just a personal choice I really try to always have good situational awareness and almost all my attention in the front and usually can manage my rear torso damage, and so far Most of my deaths have been from frontal torso since the SHD has a pretty vulnerable central section. Looks like you updated it to make it a pretty fast, tough, medium sniper. Good work

But ya as far as headshots go, while still can be "rare" they really suck when they do happen and really make you go, damn that armor would have made a big difference, cuz I've been in the case a few times now 95%+ on the shadowhawk was running 8 head armor before and bam basically dropped like a rock from a good headshot

8. samdsox

samdsox New Member

See what I really like about this build is the fact that i can pull my 275 xl that came with the other shadow hawk (don't remember which one) and use it in place of the 280 xl saving myself a like 5 million c bills.

9. Gamgan

Gamgan New Member

I don't have a XL260, so I used a xl 245

Not as fast but I had all the parts so it was free to make your AC5X2 AC2 build

Wow this baby rocks some damage, first match, overextended my self but blew off a few arms and killed a stalker in just a minute or so ( got rolled for doing that) But was fun!

10. Skyer Stralende

That's a great point!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. And I'm sure you will do your fair share of rolling! =D

11. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I'll give this a try with my XL255... as soon as I save up another 2million cbills.

12. TheStrider

TheStrider New Member

Question 2 then - is your match experience with a premade or pug play?

Think I'll try it, but I'm often PUGing it... :)

13. Skyer Stralende

I do a lot of both! Each style of play has its high-points.

Due to the nature of this mech build, I've often had decent success even if my pugmates and I are getting overpowered; I'm able to stay at medium range from the death blob and pour damage onto overzealous enemy pilots before I'm eventually reached.

14. m0thm4n

m0thm4n Active Member

I LOVE this build. It's so much fun! My only complaint is that I've run out of AC5 ammo a few times. This is what I've come up with in smurfy to fit another tonne of AC5 ammo. I've also allocated a bit more torso armor to the front of the side torso with the guns in it as it takes a little more fire when peeking around corners.

It's a little slow without elites but it should be ok with them.

15. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Very funny build. Took it out only twice, but dealt more than 600 damage each turn. My only adjustment was to mount an XL255 instead of the XL265, using the weight saved to buff the arms' armor to get better shields out of them

16. Skyer Stralende

I'm glad you guys are enjoying this mech! :D

I've shifted to this build recently... I don't mind the lower speed, and the leg armor helps against lights. Though I'll have to try out m0thm4m's version with more ammo and Aylek's with the increased arm/or too!

At 125 matches, my mean damage per round has balanced at approximately 581, my KDR 3.42, and W/L 1.98.

Still going pretty well, even as many players shift away from Phoenix Fun and back into their preferred rides. This is definitely my new favorite mech. ^_^ It's really hard to bother myself to Elite the 5M and 2D2 because the 2H is so enjoyable, but I'll get there eventually...

17. Icepick

Icepick New Member

My second time out, I had a 745 damage 4/7 with this thing, no efficiencies unlocked. Shoot and scoot. It wrecks face.

18. TheStrider

TheStrider New Member

Well, 11 games in I'm doing "OK" with it. It feels awesome and is quite fun, but I'm only getting an average of 325 damage per game with a 4/4 k/d record - though with tons of assists...
    On the other hand the w/l ratio is pretty good, at 8/3.

I dropped down to a 260XL and maxed out my torso armor. Running 42 on each leg and 1 in each arm.

19. Shaftronics

Shaftronics Active Member

Its great against larger mechs at range and up to mid-ranged brawling with the AC/2's pumping out the sustained DPS while the AC/5's reload, though my only concern is that unlike most other SHD builds, this is somewhat more susceptible to smaller targets like fast Mediums and Lights.

I personally run this tweaked variant. Great in 4-mans when you're between the brawlers and missile boats and can lay down some assists with the SSRMs and BAP, just in case. Additionally, I do remember also dropping the AMS for more AC/5 ammo since it'll be your sole direct-fire weapon, depending on how the matches have been or how I'm feeling at the time.

20. OverForkOver

OverForkOver New Member

Love this build, very fun!

First match with it, 667dmg 5k/6a.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast